Douglas South Bye Election 2020

The first candidate to officially declare themselves, as on the front page of the weekly rag. 
.............. Charles Buster Lewin.

I thought it was an early April Fools, but it was all over IOMN&P Facebook last night, and sadly he’s got loads of supporters. 
http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=54473&headline=In this week's Manx Independent: Empty shelves in coronavirus panic&sectionIs=NEWS&searchyear=2020

Yes he is a convicted fraudster, but there again We have had convicted people elected by the electorate. 
So far the LibDimVanMan party have remained quiet and the David Cretney Labour Party haven’t put a member forward to stand. 

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It’s going to depend if the offences were relevant offences and are the offences are spent.

He got 42 months custody. The reports are vague but I think he was convicted of conspiracy to affect legal purposes by improper means as well as conspiracy to steal and conspiracy to forge.

He was made bankrupt in 2015. Has that been discharged.

A relevant offence is defined (Representation of the People Act or RoPA )

For the purposes of subsection (2)(b) a relevant offence is an offence (wherever committed) involving corruption, bribery or dishonesty or an offence (of any kind) under this Act or under the legislation of another country

I’m pretty sure that Buster says he wasn’t convicted of electoral fraud offences, ie under RoPA. 

To be rehabilitated there are exclusions

The sentences excluded from rehabilitation under this Act are —
(a)
(b) a sentence of custody for a term exceeding 30 months;
(c) 

You are disqualified if you have been convicted of a relevant offence and it isn’t spent, or if you are an undischarged bankrupt

So the questions are, if I were returning officer.

Were the convictions for relevant offences? Were they corrupt, dishonest or do they involve bribery? Were they under RoPA or other legislation.

Are they spent or capable of being spent? They were 42 months. There is a 30 month upper limit. Does that apply?

is he an undischarged bankrupt?

Its not my job to usurp the role of the returning officer.

11 minutes ago, piebaps said:

He'd be a poor choice. His "cluster headaches" meant he wasn't able to concentrate on his own Court proceedings. How on earth will he be able to sit through long parliamentary sessions?:whistling:

Easily.

Tynwald do not like long sessions let alone debate.

17 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

I did wonder about standing on a sort of “try before you buy” ticket, to see if the electorate had any appetite for my approach. If they didn’t like it they just elect someone else in 2021.

I don’t know 20 people in Douglas though!

Come on DF, of course you know 20 people in South Douglas. It’s just that you probably don’t know 20 willing to propose, second and assent your nomination?

Be careful with that political spin.

I generally don’t like restrictions on who can stand for Tynwald. If the public want to elect a bankrupt or an arsonist I think that should be left to them. 

But electoral fraud? That has to be a red flag.  

Archived