Cornonavirus: self isolating, home working, tips and questions

Chinahand

Are you working from home?  

47 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

58 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Well, in that case I am sorry to infer that.

Who was the poster that was thought to be dead, only to reappear much later. They then said they were living in the |UK in sheltered housing and did their very best to take the piss out of anyone local here. ?

Barrie Stevens?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Albert Tatlock said:

Back to hints and tips. It's been amazing to see a company of several thousand temporarily close its offices and all work from home...seemlessly. Thousands of companies are doing this now, 10s of millions of employees affected.

If it wasn't for the internet...the economy would be 10 or even 100 times worse off than it is likely to be.

Historic, as well as worrying times.

Makes one wonder why they bothered going into the "workplace" before? And when this is all over (whenever)....will they be required to return to the workplace to work? Or will we see a huge change in the way people are employed?

1 minute ago, Non-Believer said:

Makes one wonder why they bothered going into the "workplace" before? And when this is all over (whenever)....will they be required to return to the workplace to work? Or will we see a huge change in the way people are employed?

Indeed. Moreover, to me, the current situation also somewhat mirrors 'The Day the Earth Stood Still'.

An opportunity to choose which businesses survive and change the direction we can take in terms of the economy and climate change.

Despite the chaos, never before has there been such an opportunity to 'reset' planet Earth.

But the human race will miss that opportunity, because like it's current nemesis covid-19, it too is like a virus. Far better summarised by Agent Smith in 'The Matrix', than me:

"I'd like to share a revelation that I've had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species and I realized that you're not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment but you humans do not. You move to an area and you multiply and multiply until every natural resource is consumed and the only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet. You're a plague and we are the cure."

38 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

But the human race will miss that opportunity, because like it's current nemesis covid-19, it too is like a virus. Far better summarised by Agent Smith in 'The Matrix', than me:

"I'd like to share a revelation that I've had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species and I realized that you're not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment but you humans do not. You move to an area and you multiply and multiply until every natural resource is consumed and the only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet. You're a plague and we are the cure."

Ah, but was the Machine World any better?

That relied on human bodies as batteries to supply its electrical power and had itself multiplied many times over?

6 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Ah, but was the Machine World any better?

That relied on human bodies as batteries to supply its electrical power and had itself multiplied many times over?

My point being covid-19 is the cure....we're just a lower order virus.

No machines :)

22 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

My point being covid-19 is the cure....we're just a lower order virus.

No machines :)

We're a lower order virus with intelligence (in some cases), self-awareness and 2000+ years of rapidly advancing technology that includes knowledge of virology though. That gives us an edge. For now. COVID19 will be conquered but others will evolve and follow that will be even more serious.

Whether this experience is enough to give us vision for past mistakes and the future is another question.

13 hours ago, dilligaf said:

Back to spuds and herring then ?

Oh, just remembered we killed the herring species years ago through greed.

We are now killing the scollops.

I wonder how we can kill the spuds ?

Let you cook them... :P

10 hours ago, mojomonkey said:

Well, you are free to have your own opinion, I know what mine is of tax dodgers.

I pay all the taxes that I am required to pay.  At least I don't make use of the islands facilities in order to do so.  In my case money's that I earned while working overseas in some bloody awful places were paid to me in a third country with very relaxed tax laws.  

10 hours ago, mojomonkey said:

and now you freely admit to dodging paying anymore, that is immoral and despicable in my book. 

Wrong. I pay UK tax on UK earned income.  However I have monies that I did not earn in the UK invested overseas.

Archived