Cornonavirus: self isolating, home working, tips and questions

Chinahand

Are you working from home?  

47 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Mainly working from home but do a lot of that nowadays anyway as I am not so hands on as I was. Decided a couple of years ago to take more leisure time. Might have to step in if staff go down sick. Activity is down too though,  so coping not really an issue. I am thankful that this has come at me with mature business interests. I feel sorry for those who are just building and having it damaged so badly. Family health good thus far,  so fingers crossed and try not to do anything stupid. Good luck to all. 

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We're trying to fund raise ... bit difficult to do when no one wants face to face meetings.  You need to look someone in the eye to convince them you're worth their cash.

Hey ho ... challenging times.

2 hours ago, woolley said:

Mainly working from home but do a lot of that nowadays anyway as I am not so hands on as I was. Decided a couple of years ago to take more leisure time. Might have to step in if staff go down sick. Activity is down too though,  so coping not really an issue. I am thankful that this has come at me with mature business interests. I feel sorry for those who are just building and having it damaged so badly. Family health good thus far,  so fingers crossed and try not to do anything stupid. Good luck to all. 

Agree, my son wanted to start his own business and had most things in place. Dodged a potential bullet though as given the current climate he's put this on hold

I'll certainly not evict anyone who has genuinely been adversely affected as a direct or indirect result of covid but the emphasis has to be genuinely adversely affected. I don't think it will become an issue because I have very few tenants reliant on housing Benefit and so they will not be affected and for others quite apart from anything the cost of eviction plus the cost of finding a replacement tenant is a not an insignificant sum of money. These are unprecedented times and the name of the game has to be firstly to live through them and secondly minimising the cost of doing so for all of us.  Any landlord who doesn't realise this is seven kinds of bloody fool.

15 minutes ago, Rog said:

I'll certainly not evict anyone who has genuinely been adversely affected as a direct or indirect result of covid but the emphasis has to be genuinely adversely affected. I don't think it will become an issue because I have very few tenants reliant on housing Benefit and so they will not be affected and for others quite apart from anything the cost of eviction plus the cost of finding a replacement tenant is a not an insignificant sum of money. These are unprecedented times and the name of the game has to be firstly to live through them and secondly minimising the cost of doing so for all of us.  Any landlord who doesn't realise this is seven kinds of bloody fool.

Teapot may be looking for digs... :thumbsup:

3 hours ago, Chinahand said:

We're trying to fund raise ... bit difficult to do when no one wants face to face meetings.  You need to look someone in the eye to convince them you're worth their cash.

As I found in a previous life you can have as many conference calls as you like but face to face is the ONLY way to build trust.

Good luck with that one.

Looks like you can’t!  My mistake. I’m pretty sure you used to be able to but not anymore. 

just say how you voted previously and how it has changed and I’ll try and keep an up to date tally. 

Self employed, but I already work from home. My business is already seeing a downturn and when the schools close I'll have 2 very young children at home to look after all day. Also an elderly mother to keep an eye on too. Looking at options with the bank for a mortgage holiday, but who knows what the impact will be 3, 6 months down the line.

Out of disaster there's always opportunity though, so it may mean pivoting my business/career and try and stay nimble to uncertainty. That's what I try and tell myself anyway.

ETA: That's all without the likely possibility of the whole family getting ill at somepoint. Urgh!

2 hours ago, slinkydevil said:

Self employed, but I already work from home. My business is already seeing a downturn and when the schools close I'll have 2 very young children at home to look after all day. Also an elderly mother to keep an eye on too. Looking at options with the bank for a mortgage holiday, but who knows what the impact will be 3, 6 months down the line.

Out of disaster there's always opportunity though, so it may mean pivoting my business/career and try and stay nimble to uncertainty. That's what I try and tell myself anyway.

ETA: That's all without the likely possibility of the whole family getting ill at somepoint. Urgh! 

BoJo has announced tonight that there is to be a moratorium on a!l evictions for (I think the I heard) 3 months.  All in all given the circumstances it's a bloody good move.

4 hours ago, Rog said:

You a landlord ??

Don't think so.

You seemed to brag that you had conned your way into sheltered housing and were living a subsidised life funded by the UK taxpayer.

Has that changed ?

Or in my post 60 year old  dotage, do I have the wrong poster ?

10 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

You a landlord ??

Don't think so.

You seemed to brag that you had conned your way into sheltered housing and were living a subsidised life funded by the UK taxpayer.

Has that changed ?

Or in my post 60 year old  dotage, do I have the wrong poster ?

Rog owns at least a hundred slums in Douglas.

7 hours ago, Chinahand said:

You're in the wrong line of work. I know sex workers who are able to generate significant cashflow over the internet without face to face meetings.

Archived