Cornonavirus: self isolating, home working, tips and questions

Chinahand

Are you working from home?  

47 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/18/2020 at 3:44 PM, Chinahand said:

Looks like you can’t!  My mistake. I’m pretty sure you used to be able to but not anymore. 

just say how you voted previously and how it has changed and I’ll try and keep an up to date tally. 

Moved from in work to working from home on Wednesday.

10 hours ago, quilp said:

Hang on, whose reality? 

The reality of the person who perceives a thing.  Take a doddering old fart (not me this time!) going through a customs post with 200 grammes of cocaine in plastic bag that has been sealed and ultrasonically cleaned a medicated talc tin under a layer of Mycota powder with a prescription for it to treat crotch itch.  Mycota because it has a strong and astringent odour (it's normally used for fungal infections of the feet) and explaining to the customs guy in a slightly embarrassed way it's needed because of some degree of incontinence.  The smell of the stuff plus the coke having been hermetically sealed and then ultrasonically cleaned and done very carefully and taking various other safeguards results in it being undetectable by the best of drug dogs.  The customs guy sees a slightly embarrassed old person and a medicine that the dog hasn't even twitched towards and with a pharmacy label on it and perceives someone to just wave through.   To him that is his reality.  It was what he perceived.

How much is 200 grammes of cocaine worth on the streets?  I know it's about $US 300 a gramme in the States.

As an aside Mycota is an over the counter stuff that is very effective for foot odour caused by a number of fungal infections.  Really great in hot and humid places in the world.

End of diverting of the thread!

That appears to be an intimate knowledge of one method of drug-smuggling anyway. Got any more that you'd like to share with us? Asking for a friend...

12 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

That appears to be an intimate knowledge of one method of drug-smuggling anyway. Got any more that you'd like to share with us? Asking for a friend...

I've done a few iffy things over the years but NEVER drug smuggling - though I've known a couple of people who did. 

The only two things that I've brought across borders illicitly were in one case three gert big "Coco Verde" from Brasil for my wife and kids to try, and a festering big pure silver samovar, also from Brasil, that I genuinely forgot I had in my case!  The damned thing is about 150cms tall but by the time that I got to Norwich airport after a particularly fraught flight I was so knackered I really did forget I had in my luggage. Just walked through the customs desk.  No one there meeting the flight from Schiphol - probably just as well!  Got the shock of my life when I got home and saw the thing.

On 3/20/2020 at 10:00 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

1. Managers coming out of the woodwork. Where did all these people, you could never usually get hold of in the past, spend all their time previously?

2. The dangers of wfh micromanagement...some managers desperate to prove their worth I suppose...but sometimes at the expense of diverting you from your primary focus. You have to push many people back.

Don't forget that a lot of business owners and managers have been telling us for years that flexible working and working from home cannot be accommodated and that we all need to come to a building between prescribed times and sit at a prescribed location because otherwise work is impossible.

The truth is that it is possible to work flexibly and from home in most office based roles and the only reason not to implement such arrangements are a lack of trust that you will actually do your job.  That is why when home working has suddenly become a reality we have all these calls and meetings.  It is just the managers checking up on you because they don't trust that you are not sat outside in the garden or watching crappy daytime TV!

Could you imagine working for someone like Rog now?  He would be wanting CCTV installed in your house so he can watch every move you make.

(I know that there are still many customer facing roles, construction or production roles that cannot be done from home before anyone criticises).  

You don't need CCTV when you have a laptop camera and remote monitoring etc.  

Incidentally, I think everyone who is wfh or self-isolating should weigh themselves now. Then do it when you go back to work.

There will be a lot of fat bastards about. 

5 hours ago, gettafa said:

Does Working From Home mean circling all the stores, buying more and more food, and maybe even happening on the golden chance of some more bog rolls?

are you asking for a friend?

Does this social distancing count only for the few? Cycling home today and saw groups of prom "workers" close together smoking and talking. A group of corpy gardners doing the same...

Archived