IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

4 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

Taking control would have been trading with sensible mitigations, or at least getting a very modest payout while not being able to trade.

Both of those options were taken away with the threat of legal action if ignored..........3 times.

Whilst undoubtedly well intentioned, your post shows the same total lack of understanding that most others have.

Peoples lives and businesses of 20 or 30 years have been absolutely decimated  

I understand that, but what is your solution?

4 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Letting people make their own decisions and evaluate their own risks.

Dave the office worker could work from home on full pay but trevor the window cleaner couldn't stand on a ladder in someones garden with his mate at the bottom holding he ladder?  Even though it was outdoors?

Trevor has subsequently fallen into debt that he will never get out of.

What about Sarah who runs a cafe?  Diedre with the gym business? Gertrude the taxi driver?

It was insane and with no logic behind it and there are people who will never recover (me included, but I am just another statistic that gets ignored amongst cases)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ramseyboi said:

Letting people make their own decisions and evaluate their own risks.

Dave the office worker could work from home on full pay but trevor the window cleaner couldn't stand on a ladder in someones garden with his mate at the bottom holding he ladder?  Even though it was outdoors?

Trevor has subsequently fallen into debt that he will never get out of.

What about Sarah who runs a cafe?  Diedre with the gym business? Gertrude the taxi driver?

It was insane and with no logic behind it and there are people who will never recover (me included, but I am just another statistic that gets ignored amongst cases)

OK, that is what happened, but what would you do?

8 hours ago, Gladys said:

Yes, I thought it was quite appalling.  The staff handled it well though.  I cannot understand why people kick off in this way when, really, we are all in the same boat, may not like it, but the objective is to get boosters into arms, not get top marks for keeping to appointment times. 

It is the same on a Friday or Saturday when people argue with the security in pubs, I never understand it, they are not letting you in go somewhere else. There seems to be an entitlement for some people that they are right.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, NoTailT said:

Is Mark Lewin the new Chief Secretary yet? Or what's his role now? Didn't watch the briefer.

He seems to have been slotted into a new role that didn’t previously exist. My guess is that he is doing the stuff that the Chief Secretary hasn’t  got the ability to do whilst being groomed to take over, quietly, some time in the near future. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Gladys said:

Simples. Pay freeze for 2 years at IOMG and same with all department budgets. Hiring freeze too. No government jollies off island ~ go green (see if they practise what they preach) and use video calls only.

Same with all non-essential works.. i.e. £2m bridges or any other 'heritage' projects that are not about preservation (i.e. horse tram lines on prom with £1m traffic lights). Get the potholes fixed first.

Over those two years, reset all department budgets to basic services & maintenance. Then lower capital project budget going forward by 20-30% minimum. Oh and bin off DBC, let them sink or swim on their own rates. No more cheap government loans. If they can afford £10,000's for statues they can pay their own way.

Time to prune the government cash tree after the biggest upheaval since WWII. Otherwise, we'll watch taxes and other charges spiral to cover declining revenue as more and more businesses and households struggle with soaring inflation.

The private sector lost lots of revenue and reserves they'll never see again so time for our IOMG to share the burden.

Latest announcement shows they just want covid to go away now and return to business as usual, leaving the tax payer to pick up the pieces. If one was cynical, suggest the LFT only is about closing the Grandstand site to allow them to start work on the TT preperations.

Hoping we'll conveniently forget all of the f* up's they allowed to happen. Time to share the pain I say.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, CallMeCurious said:

The private sector lost lots of revenue and reserves they'll never see again so time for our IOMG to share the burden.

And yet many sectors of business have been expanding - the biggest issue often talked about being around the difficulty of recruitment and the skills shortage - especially tech. And there are so many great unexploited opportunities which the island could be moving into. This is a great place to be based.

If there is too little money then the solution must certainly be to grow the economy (rather than effectively cutting it back). Obviously that means addressing the people shortage.

Edited by pongo
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, pongo said:

And yet many sectors of business have been expanding - the biggest issue often talked about being around the difficulty of recruitment and the skills shortage - especially tech. And there are so many great unexploited opportunities which the island could be moving into. This is a great place to be based.

If there is too little money then the solution must certainly be to grow the economy (rather than effectively cutting it back). Obviously that means addressing the people shortage.

one of the biggest problems , and in particular with the DOI  is that they have lost so many people from the front line , ,I believe at one time there were 370 in the workforce  , tradesman  semi skilled and people working on the roads ,  I was told yesterday this number has been reduced to around 80 , mainly people fed up with  poor management  terrible attitude ,towards blue collar workmen ,and its not a good place to work anymore ,  but the increase in  headcount numbers  has been more pen pushers ,and suits  the ratio of worker to manager is completely out of kilter , 

there needs to be a complete review of staffing levels  but not by bringing in their mates from Beamans consultants ,      ,Not just  in the DOI   but throughout government ,  and with a private  sector that says there are skills shortages in admin  and other areas , surely this is the time  to off load a few into the real world .

we must be at the stage when at least 1 person in every 4 working  in the Isle of man  is  working or in some way  funded by government  and that is not sustainable by the rest of  the working population 

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, Omobono said:

one of the biggest problems , and in particular with the DOI  is that they have lost so many people from the front line , ,I believe at one time there were 370 in the workforce  , tradesman  semi skilled and people working on the roads ,  I was told yesterday this number has been reduced to around 80 , mainly people fed up with  poor management  terrible attitude ,towards blue collar workmen ,and its not a good place to work anymore ,  but the increase in  headcount numbers  has been more pen pushers ,and suits  the ratio of worker to manager is completely out of kilter , 

there needs to be a complete review of staffing levels  but not by bringing in their mates from Beamans consultants ,      ,Not just  in the DOI   but throughout government ,  and with a private  sector that says there are skills shortages in admin  and other areas , surely this is the time  to off load a few into the real world .

we must be at the stage when at least 1 person in every 4 working  in the Isle of man  is  working or in some way  funded by government  and that is not sustainable by the rest of  the working population 

Not just the roads. The classic cases are those who were knowledgeable and experienced with flooding, water & harbour management, Laxey being the latest debacle. Same for the railways and Trams.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CallMeCurious said:

Simples. Pay freeze for 2 years at IOMG and same with all department budgets. Hiring freeze too. No government jollies off island ~ go green (see if they practise what they preach) and use video calls only.

Same with all non-essential works.. i.e. £2m bridges or any other 'heritage' projects that are not about preservation (i.e. horse tram lines on prom with £1m traffic lights). Get the potholes fixed first.

Over those two years, reset all department budgets to basic services & maintenance. Then lower capital project budget going forward by 20-30% minimum. Oh and bin off DBC, let them sink or swim on their own rates. No more cheap government loans. If they can afford £10,000's for statues they can pay their own way.

Time to prune the government cash tree after the biggest upheaval since WWII. Otherwise, we'll watch taxes and other charges spiral to cover declining revenue as more and more businesses and households struggle with soaring inflation.

Latest announcement shows they just want covid to go away now and return to business as usual, leaving the tax payer to pick up the pieces. If one was cynical, suggest the LFT only is about closing the Grandstand site to allow them to start work on the TT preperations.

Hoping we'll conveniently forget all of the f* up's they allowed to happen. Time to share the pain I say.

Simple to write but not to do. A freeze on pay and recruitment for Government employees includes everybody in frontline service delivery and the public would have to accept a reduction in services that would arise from 2 years plus recruitment lead-in times of turnover and natural wastage. 
In a society that has been dominated by the view that service delivery, enforcement, public asset maintenance and amenity provision should come from a directly- employed workforce and administered by the public sector, it is difficult to prune expenditure without impacting services. Factor in a political system where you have a lot of national politicians chasing not many votes and the acceptance of difficult and unpopular decisions is also difficult to secure, politically. So why you might say “simples” it is not going to happen, regardless of the merit of some of your suggestions. 
There needs to be a radical change in culture within Government and our politics to make significant cost cutting possible, let alone simple. 

2 hours ago, pongo said:

A sensible option would be to use both approaches. There's no point in shipping the water out the front of the boat if you don't plug the leaks at the back. 

• Like 1

He has clearly ditched the last script writers who made him like a wally on social media by using unscientific words and phrases.

Kick the doom mongers to the kerb and get back to running an island again. Leave the public to police themselves and we can get back to generating more commerce to fill the coffers again. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

46 minutes ago, Danoo said:

He has clearly ditched the last script writers who made him like a wally on social media by using unscientific words and phrases.

Kick the doom mongers to the kerb and get back to running an island again. Leave the public to police themselves and we can get back to generating more commerce to fill the coffers again. 

Doomers are currently the biggest threat to the Island's continued prosperity.