IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

15 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Are you just reduced to posting random abuse now as you can’t actually offer any constructive objections? As I said pages ago this thread has just fallen off a cliff. There’s little point trying to even engage with many of the howling loons and their covid histrionics. There is nothing wrong with people debating border relaxations. They will happen at some stage and then you’ll have to come out from your priest hole. How on earth would there be another lockdown? 

Don’t you know cambon is a financial expert!!!

as even Howie admitted the borders being closed has caused severe economic problems with unemployment tripling from the rate last year and likely to get worse.

friends at airport , not public servants have been warned to expect redundancies soon if easyJet don’t restart, they are already on 65% wages plus mera 

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=57640&headline=EasyJet won't fly till border restrictions are removed&sectionIs=NEWS&searchyear=2020

Edited by Banker

5 hours ago, thommo2010 said:

Looking at it now you're basically going to be paying 50 quid to be allowed to go to work you cant do anything else so why bother? I'd rather keep my 50 quid. Also if you work in a place with 1/200 people in what's the difference between going there and going out to a restaurant? 

It's more a case of paying 50 quid to gamble on going back to work after 8 days or being expected to isolate for 22 days rather than take no test and definitely go back after 14 days as I understand it. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Surely it’s only going to be top managers or self employed who will take a chance on paying £50 to get back to work. Nobody working in close proximity to others would bother as they can’t go back to work anyway.

Yes a bit of scam from Howie who said he was copying his mate Gavin from Guernsey policy, have to wait for full details on website. Hopefully he will also follow Gavin in investing lots if money in testing at ports for next phase of Guernsey strategy where you could get out of quarantine in 24/48 hours when travel from select countries including UK

1 minute ago, Banker said:

Yes a bit of scam from Howie who said he was copying his mate Gavin from Guernsey policy, have to wait for full details on website. Hopefully he will also follow Gavin in investing lots if money in testing at ports for next phase of Guernsey strategy where you could get out of quarantine in 24/48 hours when travel from select countries including UK

As long as he does not listen to the new MHK and Liddiard about buying our own airline.

FFS today’s mannin line was mental. Do these people not remember the past. It was like The Two Ronnies.

• Like 1

Does Guernsey charge for testing? Jersey doesn't. £50 seems a bit steep ( not for a rich farmer, obvs)

8 minutes ago, Banker said:

47 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

It's more a case of paying 50 quid to gamble on going back to work after 8 days or being expected to isolate for 22 days rather than take no test and definitely go back after 14 days as I understand it. 

What’s the gamble Stinky? You have passed a test that says you don’t have covid which is around 95% accurate in most cases. So you don’t have covid so really what is the gamble. Remember too that even over lockdown “key workers” were only mandated to self isolate for 7 days if they felt ill before being required to go back to work. 

11 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Lots of interesting local COVID snippets on MR News online this morning.

Rob Callister says TT2021 needs to go ahead for the sake of TT's own future and the local economy.

Local veg suppliers Allanson's say that the increased buying of local produce produced a "blip" during lockdown that has now disappeared as consumers revert to their normal sources, a theory also supported by a local butchers.

And a FOI request has revealed that Govt stumped up £65k to have Greenlight and Co produce a "studio" atmosphere for the COVID briefings.

I have heard, from a very good source, that TT2021 is off.

They have not told the plebs yet but some businesses that are worst effected by this have been told.  

5 minutes ago, Boris Johnson said:

They have not told the plebs yet but some businesses that are worst effected by this have been told.  

We can only hope that is correct.

I would not miss it, yet I used to love it. Was looking at my TT badge collection last week and thinking why is this still an event. Was fantastic in years gone by, but a relic of the past now. We need to look at different events now that don’t involve so many deaths. Just look at the recent coroner's report on D M. Time to say enough is enough. Only my personal view..

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Boris Johnson said:

Personally I would say that’s bollocks as Rob was only talking about it on radio yesterday.

2 minutes ago, Banker said:

Personally I would say that’s bollocks as Rob was only talking about it on radio yesterday.

Don’t think it is 100% bollocks. I’ve also heard it from two good sources but they apparently don’t want to tell people yet as many in hospitality are still on compo and hoping next season will be better. It really does seem that the overriding policy objective here is Operation Brigadoon. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight

18 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Don’t think it is 100% bollocks. I’ve also heard it from two good sources but they apparently don’t want to tell people yet as many in hospitality are still on compo and hoping next season will be better. It really does seem that the overriding policy objective here is Operation Brigadoon. 

If it is cancelled then the cost to taxpayers in support, lost tax income ,unemployment benefits etc would be enormous but never mind some in here will say it benefits economy to keep borders closed and be brigadoon