IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

2 minutes ago, Banker said:
15 minutes ago, pongo said:

I believe that it would be doing a lot worse without the current measures.

Well you’re one of very few including many businessmen and the unemployed 

Not for the first time this doesn't even make sense as English.  But assuming you meant that businessmen and the unemployed are all demanding whatever it is you want, this may not actually be true.  It's just about possible that they also think that (re)introducing a pandemic to the Island might not be good for the economy.

Actually one thing that we have learnt from the last six months is that the opposition between health and economic activity is a false one.  Those places that have restricted things much more actually seem to have done better (or at least less badly) that those who were slower to react and less restrictive..

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

whatever it is you want

IIRC she wanted to be able to personally deliver her grown up offspring to university and then come back here without isolating. Because, for some reason, the current generation are not able to get themselves off-island without someone to hold their hand. Unlike almost every previous generation.

People I knew went to the army from here at 17. Not that long ago.

ETA: you can still join at 16. But you can't take your mum or your teddy.

Edited by pongo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Not for the first time this doesn't even make sense as English.  But assuming you meant that businessmen and the unemployed are all demanding whatever it is you want, this may not actually be true.  It's just about possible that they also think that (re)introducing a pandemic to the Island might not be good for the economy.

Actually one thing that we have learnt from the last six months is that the opposition between health and economic activity is a false one.  Those places that have restricted things much more actually seem to have done better (or at least less badly) that those who were slower to react and less restrictive..

Done better in what respect ?

13 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Not sure what the above rubbish means, but Howie and the rest of government have confirmed that the economy is suffering because borders are closed, unemployment is 320% more than 22 months ago and likely to increase and many businesses are struggling.

not sure how that makes the economy performing well.

I saw this little gem on the Nations Propoganda Mouthpiece - 

Students to head back to school for new academic year

The education minister says the Island's schools will take tough action against pupils for "malicious coughing" or inappropriate comments about Covid-19.

It's as thousands of Island pupils are to head back to classes next week for the new academic year.

Dr Alex Allinson says good hygiene and discipline will be top of the agenda when students return.

He's warning strict measures are in place should people step out-of-line: 

School attendance is once again mandatory for Manx students, following the coronavirus pandemic and disruption to education.

The Department of Education, Sport and Culture has sent out the message that attendance is compulsory after it had been voluntary over the lockdown, due to the risk of infection.

However now the DESC Minister Dr Alex Allinson says current evidence shows "infections and outbreaks are uncommon across all educational settings".

He add it's not only important for young people's learning to return to school, but for their mental wellbeing too.

Schools will once again be able to issue sanctions or even fines when children don't attend school without a valid reason.

It’s rather daft and will be predictable that one or two will start ‘coughing’. What are the schools going to do? Punish the offenders? Expel them? Take them to court and give them a criminal record? I really can’t understand what this article hopes to achieve and also what Allinson is thinking? 

1 minute ago, 2112 said:

The education minister says the Island's schools will take tough action against pupils for "malicious coughing" or inappropriate comments about Covid-19.

It's as thousands of Island pupils are to head back to classes next week for the new academic year.

Dr Alex Allinson says good hygiene and discipline will be top of the agenda when students return.

School attendance is once again mandatory for Manx students, following the coronavirus pandemic and disruption to education.

The Department of Education, Sport and Culture has sent out the message that attendance is compulsory after it had been voluntary over the lockdown, due to the risk of infection.

However now the DESC Minister Dr Alex Allinson says current evidence shows "infections and outbreaks are uncommon across all educational settings".

He add it's not only important for young people's learning to return to school, but for their mental wellbeing too.

Schools will once again be able to issue sanctions or even fines when children don't attend school without a valid reason.

It’s rather daft and will be predictable that one or two will start ‘coughing’. What are the schools going to do? Punish the offenders? Expel them? Take them to court and give them a criminal record? I really can’t understand what this article hopes to achieve and also what Allinson is thinking? 

If you can’t understand it, you are not very bright.

1 hour ago, pongo said:

IIRC she wanted to be able to personally deliver her grown up offspring to university and then come back here without isolating. Because, for some reason, the current generation are not able to get themselves off-island without someone to hold their hand. Unlike almost every previous generation.

People I knew went to the army from here at 17. Not that long ago.

ETA: you can still join at 16. But you can't take your mum or your teddy.

Ain’t that the truth

57 minutes ago, 2112 said:

What kind of point are you trying to make?

1 minute ago, Neil Down said:

What kind of point are you trying to make?

The point I’m trying to make is, the Minister is trying to dream up school rules. Have the schools had these problems when the schools reopened in June? If not, then I’m sure they will have once pupils get to know. Cough, Cough, Cough!

It has to be admitted that in the clip Allinson comes across as a bit pompous and overly-confrontational.  And he's certainly ensured that 'malicious coughing' is going to be the ongoing joke for the next term, rather than a silly joke that died away after a few days.  A more sympathetic tone to reassure children and (more importantly) parents would have been wiser and wouldn't have been any less effective.

The press release some of the Manx Radio text was based on is similarly bossy and finger wagging.  Needless confrontation seems to be the style of the Department under Barr - which might be more acceptable if the administrators had shown the slightest ability to do their own jobs or even know what that meant.

I'm also not sure that Allinson saying:

Current international evidence has shown that COVID-19 infections and outbreaks are uncommon across all educational settings and the re-opening of schools has been associated with very few local outbreaks.

When the reopening of schools in Scotland has rather given the lie to that.

46 minutes ago, 2112 said:

The point I’m trying to make is, the Minister is trying to dream up school rules. Have the schools had these problems when the schools reopened in June? If not, then I’m sure they will have once pupils get to know. Cough, Cough, Cough!

Well, what's the alternative?

Not make attendance mandatory just because some of the simpler kids will put on a cough to annoy people/because they think they'll get sent home?  Not threaten punishment for taking the piss? Or both?

Just now, Roger Mexico said:

It has to be admitted that in the clip Allinson comes across as a bit pompous and overly-confrontational.  And he's certainly ensured that 'malicious coughing' is going to be the ongoing joke for the next term, rather than a silly joke that died away after a few days.  A more sympathetic tone to reassure children and (more importantly) parents would have been wiser and wouldn't have been any less effective.

I'd agree with that, but something probably did need to be said about 'malicious coughing', if only to pre-empt any complaints if it does start up. 

Not sure that he's ensured that it's going to be the ongoing joke though, unless those students who would do that are surprisingly keen on following government statements.

2 minutes ago, VinnieK said:

I'd agree with that, but something probably did need to be said about 'malicious coughing', if only to pre-empt any complaints if it does start up. 

Not sure that he's ensured that it's going to be the ongoing joke though, unless those students who would do that are surprisingly keen on following government statements.

To be honest I’d love to see how the first case of malicious coughing by a 15 year old student would be pursued through the courts. Probably just like the lockdown convictions for dog walking to be honest. It’s a load of old shite. 

3 minutes ago, Southfork said:

To be honest I’d love to see how the first case of malicious coughing by a 15 year old student would be pursued through the courts. Probably just like the lockdown convictions for dog walking to be honest. It’s a load of old shite. 

I don't think the intention is to pursue it through the courts.  The story and the clip both state that it would be dealt with by disciplinary measures in the schools.

The tone is a bit high-handed, but all that's really being said is that the DESC will support schools when they have to punish students for what presumably includes coughing in some other kid's face and scampering off giggling.