IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

14 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

They can’t police self isolation so they certainly won’t be policing if people have had a negative test and then go to the pub on day 8 or any of the other silly restrictions. Some more sensible and flexible policies emerging at last.

Normal people will obviously take the time to understand the regulations and stick to them.

I can't imagine that there are that many people so desperate to go to a pub that they can't wait a week.

8 minutes ago, pongo said:

Normal people will obviously take the time to understand the regulations and stick to them.

I can't imagine that there are that many people so desperate to go to a pub that they can't wait a week.

Yes because we haven’t jailed anyone for breaching self isolation rules have we as everyone 100% does what they’re told!  ;)

Fair play to the guy, h'es given it a good go, tried every possible permutation bar the correct one but it's probably round about time howard started looking up an equivalent word to substitute for statistics. It's a mental thing just getting worse, similar thing happened to jockey wilson. Take some time away from that word would be my advice to the chief.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, trmpton said:

What about a shop? Or work? Or to have their family visit?

Today was a chance to move things forward a bit and help businesses and help people who are missing family - and they haven’t achieved either 

You can do all the above if test negative unless you work in health or certain other jobs

5 minutes ago, trmpton said:

Today was a chance to move things forward a bit and help businesses 

I accept that there is small minority of people who still really feel the need to do old-fashioned face-to-face business meetings and, for some reason, cannot work around working from home in between trips away.

But I also firmly believe that keeping things fairly tight here benefits many other businesses. And being Covid free has definite benefits for the IOM economy.

I'm certain that this cautious partial relaxation will enjoy widespread public support.

8 minutes ago, Banker said:

You can do all the above if test negative unless you work in health or certain other jobs

Should have been more specific.

You can only shop for essential food and medicine.  Your family from off island can’t visit (that still applies to all of us).

Its really a lot more than “health or certain other jobs”.  If you work in an office/factory etc your employer needs to agree and since most people are still scared of a non existent threat the other staff will object.

work in a shop? Nope. Hotel? Nope. Carehome? Nope. Garage? Nope.

9 minutes ago, pongo said:

I accept that there is small minority of people who still really feel the need to do old-fashioned face-to-face business meetings and, for some reason, cannot work around working from home in between trips away.

But I also firmly believe that keeping things fairly tight here benefits many other businesses. And being Covid free has definite benefits for the IOM economy.

I'm certain that this cautious partial relaxation will enjoy widespread public support.

Referendum?  I think you would be surprised.  The vast majority of people I speak to in real life want the orders open with some controls in place for when (not if) the virus returns

Edited by trmpton

19 minutes ago, pongo said:

Even Howie agreed that keeping borders closed was detrimental to the economy and referenced the high number of unemployed , however there still seem to be some that think it’s good for the economy. Just because pubs have been busy at weekends doesn’t mean economy is doing well!!