Abolish something.

parchedpeas

8 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

Jesus wept.  Imagine that here.  Nothing would ever get done.

That is the trouble already, MHKs get involved in things like the prom and it goes on forever because they want to please everyone.

The prom being an example of why on earth is it in Tynwald being discussed in the first place, its a bit of roadworks FFS. At most DBC should have had a small input at the start but other than that the DOI/ Contractors appointed should have been left alone to get on with it. I am sure that it is because of the attempted micro management of things like this by politicians - and points scoring by other politicos that have no understanding of these types of things that they go tits up.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's no management, micro or otherwise by anybody. No plans for contractors, no scheme of works.

It's purely about wading into a huge, publicly funded job justification operation predicated on a pack of lies about threats to public safety. By a collection of imported total incompetents with a supremely arrogant line in bullshit that our elected overseers apparently cannot see through. Even when the entire job goes tits up.

We are fucking doomed.

40 minutes ago, GD4ELI said:

So, for example Tynwald would legislate for the promenade works, a group of Manxies would gather (say) 10,000 signatures resulting in a legally binding referendum.

Yes, but I was thinking along the lines of their initiatives for proposing new legislation. You could go further and have a higher threshold of signatures to amend recent legislation

Abolish greedy, obnoxious care home owners,who insist the cucumber is sliced on a bacon slicer,whilst driving stupid top of the range vehicles with foreign property brochures on the dash.I know one who is in the spotlight ,for virus failings (across not I.O.M.)and his kids asked for money to talk to the press,regarding their fathers dodgy business model.Nice people ,who need to be abolished.

9 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

Trying to get back on track. 

Local authorities. My argument is that there is too much micro-parochialism which is also exacerbated by the building of fiefdoms. This is an unnecessary layer of Government in a small population which needs to be agile and progressive to survive into the future.

Ban - long words

propose - smaller impact words

Abolish the blockchain office.

We don't have a MS Access office. We don't have a SQL office. Creating a regulatory regime for one politically-favoured form of storing data electronically is, at best, a waste of taxpayer money, and at worst, an opportunity for crony capitalism and regulatory capture.

47 minutes ago, Josem said:

We don't have a MS Access office. We don't have a SQL office. Creating a regulatory regime for one politically-favoured form of storing data electronically is, at best, a waste of taxpayer money, and at worst, an opportunity for crony capitalism and regulatory capture.

Bloody hell!  There's eight of the buggers.  I assumed it was just a bit of virtue-signalling, but lack of anything to actually do never seems to have stopped jobs for the boys and girls.  Whether it will be as unsuccessful as Malta's attempt remains to be seen, but they don't even seem to have anything to offer, except turning up at conferences and meetings.

Speaking of which, I was struck by this piece of business babble dated 9 April 2020 from the 'Regulatory Lead' (as usual with DfE the organisation tree is tall and thin) which says: "I sat in London last week, listening to the reports on progress across a wide front of digital projects where GDF’s membership was working together".  Never mind the irony of those involved in Global Digital Finance deciding they all need to be in the same room to hear reports - even in normal times - it's an interesting insight into the sort of really important off-Island travel that is thought essential for key workers during an epidemic.

1 hour ago, Josem said:

Wow I thought you would be a big supporter. I think effectively they have judging by some of the whinging on Twitter about nobody getting grants and works to upgrade being halted. Or is that just the Hubb which appears to be connected in some way? 

8 minutes ago, Southfork said:

Wow I thought you would be a big supporter.

Definitely not. I am super skeptical of the way that Government gets in bed with big business in efforts like this. The whole fundamental premise of blockchain is that it does not rely upon a centralised authority like a Government.

I've done a little consulting work in the blockchain world 'cause I understand a little of the underlying technologies, and it seems crazy to me that the Government is gambling with taxpayer money like this. It is simply immoral to gamble with taxpayer money like that.

I think effectively they have judging by some of the whinging on Twitter about nobody getting grants and works to upgrade being halted. Or is that just the Hubb which appears to be connected in some way? 

From reading the public discussions on Twitter, I gather that Hubb - a separate, private, company which leases out co-working office space - was defined as a "digital business" because Hubb's customers use computers, and therefore received no response-to-coronavirus-support. Obviously, saying an office rental company is "digital" is nonsense and doesn't even make sense when you say it out loud. This is another example of the fundamental strategic problem with the Manx Government's economic response to the Coronavirus. They based it upon absurd bureaucratic definitions of business sector, rather than reality.

Archived