Abolish something.

parchedpeas

So the thread is this:

Abolish something. Don't go big too early. But get rid of something that costs money over here that there is little / no justification for. The next person in the thread is only allowed to post something else when they've given a good reason to keep the thing that preceded them. Yes yes Good is subjective. But a half decent defence is required, a reason to not abolish.

Then you can propose your thing.

My pitch: The "National" Sports Centre. It does nothing that local clubs / areas / schools couldn't do if they could pitch for some of the funding that is spent on it. The swimming pool alone is a money-pit. God only knows what is wasted on the rest.

Anyone to defend?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’ll defend. Keep the NSC - it’s exactly the thing government should be using taxpayers money to fund. Sport and exercise are generally good things, and having a facility that anyone can use - gym, pool, courts etc - rather than having to join a private club, is what I’d like to see my taxes spent on. The health and wellbeing it creates could well save money for DHSC in the future. 

I’d abolish the horse trams. 

Defence. It's only a money pit because of appalling management and oversight. Look at the fuck up over the flumes and the pool floor. That's not the facility's fault.

It should be and has been a national asset. In fact wasn't it built to host the Island Games or something, 1991? Run properly it could be contributing.

Now my suggestion for abolition is the DOI. Good luck with defending that....

7 minutes ago, wrighty said:

I’ll defend. Keep the NSC - it’s exactly the thing government should be using taxpayers money to fund. Sport and exercise are generally good things, and having a facility that anyone can use - gym, pool, courts etc - rather than having to join a private club, is what I’d like to see my taxes spent on. The health and wellbeing it creates could well save money for DHSC in the future. 

I’d abolish the horse trams. 

The horse trams are a national treasure. No where else can you ride a horse driven tram from the Victorian era amongst regular traffic. 

I'd abolish the NHS

43 minutes ago, parchedpeas said:

So the thread is this:

Abolish something. Don't go big too early. But get rid of something that costs money over here that there is little / no justification for. The next person in the thread is only allowed to post something else when they've given a good reason to keep the thing that preceded them. Yes yes Good is subjective. But a half decent defence is required, a reason to not abolish.

Then you can propose your thing.

My pitch: The "National" Sports Centre. It does nothing that local clubs / areas / schools couldn't do if they could pitch for some of the funding that is spent on it. The swimming pool alone is a money-pit. God only knows what is wasted on the rest.

Anyone to defend?

I see what you did there.  You just picked something utterly ridiculous and the opposite of what we should dispense with.

Wrighty is 100% correct about the NSC.

Most these clubs you talk about are run by volunteers and many are on the bones of their ass.

Archived