Abolish something.

parchedpeas

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would get rid of Tynwald in it's current guise.

A small but tasteful and modern "debating chamber".

No more wigs or trappings or getting done up like Little Lord Fauntelroy to ponce about the place.

CM has to sign off all travel and X's in line with strict guidelines (like the private sector)

Keep the Bishop but not his vote.

No upper chamber. I've never seen a borough council with two houses, one stuffed with failed politicos, have you?

Model it on a UK borough that has a similar population, one decent sized town and similar agricultural outlying area.

All CS/PS salaries above 40-50K frozen forever. (Post Covid £ situation something of an unknown)

Vote with your feet? Thanks for that, we need to trim the numbers.

Purge on non-jobs.

Standards Committee with far reaching powers.

So if you fuck-up you're out.

Numbers of MHK's trimmed back to make it a full time job.

CM can't be a serving MHK (after all, it's a full time role) and chosen by the electorate.

MHK standards of behaviour to be exemplary and to be cast in stone...

1 hour ago, Josem said:

Definitely not. I am super skeptical of the way that Government gets in bed with big business in efforts like this. The whole fundamental premise of blockchain is that it does not rely upon a centralised authority like a Government.

I've done a little consulting work in the blockchain world 'cause I understand a little of the underlying technologies, and it seems crazy to me that the Government is gambling with taxpayer money like this. It is simply immoral to gamble with taxpayer money like that.

From reading the public discussions on Twitter, I gather that Hubb - a separate, private, company which leases out co-working office space - was defined as a "digital business" because Hubb's customers use computers, and therefore received no response-to-coronavirus-support. Obviously, saying an office rental company is "digital" is nonsense and doesn't even make sense when you say it out loud. This is another example of the fundamental strategic problem with the Manx Government's economic response to the Coronavirus. They based it upon absurd bureaucratic definitions of business sector, rather than reality.

Government genuinely got into this with the right intent, but as usual the people with the budget sign off didn’t really have the first clue what it was all about. Enter the snake oil salesmen who pitch up and sell a vision. Next comes the bureaucracy and the management by committee that is endemic within government and a little empire is created. They hired a couple of real good staff who know what they are doing, but there are several blaggers in there who are earning lots but controbuting little but noise. As I said good intentions, but government have not backed a winner with this one. Some you win, some you lose I guess.

16 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Speaking of which, I was struck by this piece of business babble dated 9 April 2020 from the 'Regulatory Lead' (as usual with DfE the organisation tree is tall and thin) which says: "I sat in London last week, listening to the reports on progress across a wide front of digital projects where GDF’s membership was working together".  Never mind the irony of those involved in Global Digital Finance deciding they all need to be in the same room to hear reports - even in normal times - it's an interesting insight into the sort of really important off-Island travel that is thought essential for key workers during an epidemic.

That's really shocking.   I thought we were in lockdown and the border closed?    Or doesn't lockdown apply to civil servants?

18 hours ago, thommo2010 said:

I'd also abolish the phrases the new normal and clinical advice. Sick of hearing these out of everyones mouth during the  briefings

The 'new normal' will be established at the next general election

16 hours ago, Out of the blue said:

Government genuinely got into this with the right intent, but as usual the people with the budget sign off didn’t really have the first clue what it was all about. Enter the snake oil salesmen who pitch up and sell a vision. Next comes the bureaucracy and the management by committee that is endemic within government and a little empire is created. They hired a couple of real good staff who know what they are doing, but there are several blaggers in there who are earning lots but controbuting little but noise. As I said good intentions, but government have not backed a winner with this one. Some you win, some you lose I guess.

IOMG has yet to announce it's economic response to the coronavirus crisis

2 hours ago, Donald Trumps said:

IOMG has yet to announce it's economic response to the coronavirus crisis

They don't have to announce it. Everybody knows what it will be already.

Work harder you serfs.

I’ve two to offer up.

Abolish the right of MHK’s to sit as independents and make it compulsory to stand as members of a registered political party.

( tongue in cheek) abolish LibVan because they’re useless as a political party.

39 minutes ago, John Wright said:

I’ve two to offer up.

Abolish the right of MHK’s to sit as independents and make it compulsory to stand as members of a registered political party.

( tongue in cheek) abolish LibVan because they’re useless as a political party.

I'm not sure about political parties in a parliament as small as ours, but I agree they need to have a manifesto which they base their voting intentions on, not at the whim of some extra cash or the instructions of the head boy ! Very important is the introduction of accountability across the CS and Government, so many monumental and hugely costly cock ups have taken place where no one is accountable and lessons have been learned (LOL). Accountability and responsibility should come with the territory. The cosy COMIN situation where a small group, some of who are intellectually challenged at best, make decisions affecting us all with impunity.

The NSC is public service, almost an essential one. No private operator would find a business case for such a large facility. It is good for the reputation of the island, but most essentially, for people's livelihood. I enjoy going there.

There are 2,000 civil servants in the island... that would be a good place where to start making cuts. Reforming our bloated public sector.

Government expenditure is not excessive in the Isle of Man. But it should be redistribute towards infrastructure and other things that generate growths. And of course, the fallout of the damn virus as concerns public finances needs to be contained.

8 hours ago, Black Mirror said:

There are 2,000 civil servants in the island... that would be a good place where to start making cuts. Reforming our bloated public sector.

And the rest....

On 5/19/2020 at 6:29 PM, Josem said:

They based it upon absurd bureaucratic definitions of business sector, rather than reality.

That's because no one in DfE knows how a business operates. The only ones to gain anything from this are the professional accountancy hangers-on. The place is full of them.

Archived