Abolish something.

parchedpeas

Tax:

1.The poor - lots of them.

But..they  have liitle money.= So little revenue  from them,

2. The Very  Wealthy.

Relatively few.

Successfully employ advisors and tactics ro avoid taxation.

Limited takings here, too.

However, there is a third option...

3.Ah!  the good old Middle  Class,.

These folk generally play by the rules , pay their bills, tax their their cars,etc, etc,

- Cough up, you lot

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are we allowed to use explosives? Lots and lots of explosives? If so, there's a building I would love to 'abolish', it's down south where I lived for almost two years.

Who invented dynamite | Things to know about alfred nobel's invention

Start with anything that government run that makes a loss, and is not strictly necessary for the primary role of governments ! If its needed the private sector can pick it up, if it isn't goodnight vienna !

Trying to get back on track. 

Local authorities. My argument is that there is too much micro-parochialism which is also exacerbated by the building of fiefdoms. This is an unnecessary layer of Government in a small population which needs to be agile and progressive to survive into the future.

1 hour ago, Derek Flint said:

Trying to get back on track. 

Local authorities. My argument is that there is too much micro-parochialism which is also exacerbated by the building of fiefdoms. This is an unnecessary layer of Government in a small population which needs to be agile and progressive to survive into the future.

This.

Absolutely no need for commissioners on an Island with a population as it is.

Steamline & centralise.

1 hour ago, Derek Flint said:

This is an unnecessary layer of Government in a small population which needs to be agile and progressive to survive into the future.

Smaller distributed teams are typically more agile. That's mostly about being closer to the problems they are trying to solve.

2 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

Streamline & centralise.

80s style bureaucratic empire building more like. 

Ideally all of govt would be de-centralised.

The amount of local authorities we have probably made sense in the horse and cart days. Less so now. But, as has previously been raised in discussions on here, central government doesn't really do savings and scrapping them would undoubtedly lead to rate rises for many.

15 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

The amount of local authorities we have probably made sense in the horse and cart days. Less so now. But, as has previously been raised in discussions on here, central government doesn't really do savings and scrapping them would undoubtedly lead to rate rises for many.

Plus lots of very well paid clerks etc looking for jobs, clerks are on£100k plus at some of bigger ones.

3 hours ago, GD4ELI said:

Are we allowed to use explosives? Lots and lots of explosives? If so, there's a building I would love to 'abolish', it's down south where I lived for almost two years.

Who invented dynamite | Things to know about alfred nobel's invention

Manxonia House? There's a few PSM ratepayers would have taken you up on that....

2 minutes ago, MadAsHell said:

I'd abolish the current Tynwald setup for a Swiss style democracy. All the ideas in this thread could be put to a public vote.

They usually aren't except in the canton of Appenzell Innerrhoden. The many Swiss referenda are the result of collecting signatures.

Just now, GD4ELI said:

They usually aren't except in the canton of Appenzell Innerrhoden. The many Swiss referenda are the result of collecting signatures.

So, for example Tynwald would legislate for the promenade works, a group of Manxies would gather (say) 10,000 signatures resulting in a legally binding referendum.

10 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

Jesus wept.  Imagine that here.  Nothing would ever get done.

No change there then...

Archived