Chief Constable tries selective hearing

Mr Newbie

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Helix

There were radicals giving their opinions on defunding/dismantling the police that went further. Some saying it don't matter what happens as long as it means no more black get killed by police.

There is a logic to it that can't be too quickly denied. Not in the present climate.

1 minute ago, Max Power said:

The CC should come on here, much more civilised.

I was going to put a laughie to that. Then thought about it, you have a point.

Anyway, how do you know CC ain't here already . . . 

4 minutes ago, gettafa said:

@Helix

There were radicals giving their opinions on defunding/dismantling the police that went further. Some saying it don't matter what happens as long as it means no more black get killed by police.

There is a logic to it that can't be too quickly denied. Not in the present climate.

If I were a news station trying to discredit the idea that we can replace the militarised American police force with something more socially oriented, I'd put nutters on too. :)

13 hours ago, Mr Newbie said:

This looks like a weird one. So the Chief Constable after tweeting so comprehensively his support for black lives matter and inclusivity the other day now doesn’t want to hear anything negative on social media so he is having a rest .. 

https://www.three.fm/news/isle-of-man-news/chief-constable-takes-break-from-angry-and-hostile-social-media/

When you Tweet in support of a movement which has been a catalyst for violent clashes against the police in the last few days as you are trying to appear to be obsessively politically correct maybe you might be expected to get a bit of negative feedback in response? But rather than take it clearly it’s better to have a nice rest instead so you don't have to read so called hostile opinions. Let’s also not forget that this is from the head of a police force that’s hit the UK national press in the last few weeks for its strong-arm tactics and the jailing of just about anyone they could lay their hands on (including juveniles) under emergency powers legislation. Best not read the papers either because surely the reports of legal challenges and other claims can’t be too far behind. 

I doubt it. Apart from some of the nonsense that they were pumping out occasionally on tweetbeat, they’ve been part of the strategy to enforce the law. And here we are today, 19 days in with no detected cases.

13 hours ago, Gladys said:

The CM was questioned about the demo and said it was a matter for the CC. Everyone take a step back?

It is. Purely operational.

12 hours ago, 2112 said:

Why can’t the CC do us all a favour, retire gracefully. I’m sure he will get a Gong like other other Government stooges that go before him. He is becoming an embarrassment.

I’m not sure what actually keeps Gary hanging on, and I’ve said as much to him several times. He may or may not be awarded a QPM on retirement but I’m not sure it’s a gong that keeps him going. I do think he has been in post an extremely long time and there is a point where change is needed. We have had no real external influence since 2005 when Mike Langdon arrived as DCC. I’m a small place like that, it’s not healthy. We’ve not even had an HMIC inspection for well over a decade.

Gary will have his reasons for serving as long as he has.  He knows stuff we don’t. 

5 hours ago, Max Power said:

He does read the forums. Or at least has someone to do it for him and draw his attention to useful or controversial snippets.

seriously though, I was disappointed he has withdrawn fromTwitter. I set up his account for him! In a position of influence such as that, you can do a lot of good in keeping a balance. Hopefully he will be back, suitably refreshed, in the not too distant future. 

13 hours ago, Gladys said:

The CM was questioned about the demo and said it was a matter for the CC. Everyone take a step back?

Heard CM state this and was some what incredulous at the swiftness of him distancing himself and government from the protest.  Surely the whole premise of BLM warrants a political overview and strategic approach as it impinges on the public affairs of the island.  I am unaware of what has prompted the CC to withdraw from social media but it does seem something has irked him.  I am sure he has his reasons, although people will draw their own conclusions,  he certainly he made no secret of the fact he was talking on twitter as the CC and not as private individual. This is the danger when utilising such platforms, quite what his underlings think of his action is open to debate.  It seems he has strayed into an uncomfortable area that has political overtones.

As far as the protest is concerned this would seem a vexed situation for the constabulary.  Officers should act 'without fear or favour' and applying same has caused some consternation in the UK with a/ officers not being proactive in dealing with public order situations such as monuments being damaged, standing back as not wishing to make matters worse;  b/ some officers 'taking the knee' and c/ police leadership.  There would seem to be an ad hoc approach to such matters, not just with individual forces but with the individual police commanders on the ground.  Public confidence in the police is paramount and impartiality must be a mainstay.  

17 minutes ago, Hmmmm said:

Heard CM state this and was some what incredulous at the swiftness of him distancing himself and government from the protest.  Surely the whole premise of BLM warrants a political overview and strategic approach as it impinges on the public affairs of the island.  I am unaware of what has prompted the CC to withdraw from social media but it does seem something has irked him.  I am sure he has his reasons, although people will draw their own conclusions,  he certainly he made no secret of the fact he was talking on twitter as the CC and not as private individual. This is the danger when utilising such platforms, quite what his underlings think of his action is open to debate.  It seems he has strayed into an uncomfortable area that has political overtones.

As far as the protest is concerned this would seem a vexed situation for the constabulary.  Officers should act 'without fear or favour' and applying same has caused some consternation in the UK with a/ officers not being proactive in dealing with public order situations such as monuments being damaged, standing back as not wishing to make matters worse;  b/ some officers 'taking the knee' and c/ police leadership.  There would seem to be an ad hoc approach to such matters, not just with individual forces but with the individual police commanders on the ground.  Public confidence in the police is paramount and impartiality must be a mainstay.  

It will be placid and civilised. There isn’t the scaled underground network that creates disruption to marches like this over here. Whether officers should ‘take a knee’, a lot depends on the day. Ultimately you are there to maintain safety and facilitate the lawful protest. Being drawn into the cause on the day is a dilemma. But this isn’t political - it’s a just cause. It should be clear from the outset that our police stand for the same equality issues as the rest of good people 

7 hours ago, Max Power said:

Is it? I was looking at the way a thread started by an MHK just denigrated into insults and claims of alleged impropriety the other day. It took about 3 pages. That seems to be about the norm for any input by people like that. I’m not sure why any proper person with a proper political role would use this forum for anything. Twitter seems to be the much more appropriate platform for that sort of thing that at least has some accepted credibility as a platform for debate in political circles. I would imagine anyone who can’t take Twitter couldn’t take 5 minutes of getting goaded and trolled by idiots on here. 

Archived