Chief Constable tries selective hearing

Mr Newbie

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, gettafa said:

Well, they reckon it would stop black people being killed by cops, you see.

Everything else will be just hunkity doreity. Because everyone, will be happy and that.

They'll just get killed by...security guards?

Perhaps Gary has gone on his twitter holiday as he’s aware of the impending media frenzy surrounding the officers who have breached COVID legislation over the last couple of months and been given fines rather than sent to prison like the remainder of the public doing the same, having previously been warned over their COVID period behaviour.   

Oh no, my bad- that would a) require investigative journalism, b) an honest and transparent FOI request on the IOM, and c) accountability , integrity, and responsibility of senior police officers being called into question.

Never gonna happen then....

28 minutes ago, manxst said:

Perhaps Gary has gone on his twitter holiday as he’s aware of the impending media frenzy surrounding the officers who have breached COVID legislation over the last couple of months and been given fines rather than sent to prison like the remainder of the public doing the same, having previously been warned over their COVID period behaviour.   

Oh no, my bad- that would a) require investigative journalism, b) an honest and transparent FOI request on the IOM, and c) accountability , integrity, and responsibility of senior police officers being called into question.

Your evidence please. 

6 minutes ago, forestboy said:

Your evidence please. 

A) there is clearly a distinct lack of decent investigative journalism on the Island. Which is understandable given that the media and government departments enjoy such cosy relationships. 
b) I have submitted two FOI requests within the last year to government departments and both have excluded information which should not have been withheld, whether ‘accidentally’ or otherwise...

c) it’s a well known fact that there have been a multitude of officers either leave or go on long term sick as a direct result of senior management bullying/lack of correct values. 

if you mean the fines...then I guess that’s for a journalist to get stuck into. If it’s ever released via the press. 

It’s also pretty poor for the chief constable (who is a major public figurehead whether he likes it or not) to decide to take a break from interacting with the public, when that is probably the major direct interaction he will do for those he serves, other than letters and meetings (which he probably delegates anyway). The majority of his time is dealing with politicians and strategy, whilst his staff deal with the day to day issues. I can imagine the furore if his staff turned round and said that they were sick of the negativity so weren’t going to attend any more incidents because of the name calling they receive. Not that I’ve actually seen any abuse, name calling or true like for the chief? It shows a poor level of leadership to be honest, and disregard for the public, and the force. 

2 hours ago, Neil Down said:

He'll be winding down in preparation for retirement

6 hours ago, manxst said:

5 hours ago, manxst said:

A) there is clearly a distinct lack of decent investigative journalism on the Island. Which is understandable given that the media and government departments enjoy such cosy relationships. 
b) I have submitted two FOI requests within the last year to government departments and both have excluded information which should not have been withheld, whether ‘accidentally’ or otherwise...

c) it’s a well known fact that there have been a multitude of officers either leave or go on long term sick as a direct result of senior management bullying/lack of correct values. 

if you mean the fines...then I guess that’s for a journalist to get stuck into. If it’s ever released via the press. 

So, let me get this right.

you are saying that serving officers have breached Covid regulations and been convicted, and fined? Surely they would have had to appear in court for the sanction to be imposed?

The bullying thing I’ll have to an extent. I made an allegation against a senior officer after being directly asked by the CC whether that was what I was alleging. 12 week ‘investigation’ by a civil servant - ‘not bullying’. I wasn’t allowed to see the report, it being deemed ‘not appropriate’ by the Chief Executive. So where do you go after that?  You just have to suck it up sunshine, certainly if you still hope to progress your career. It was a very upsetting time.

Sometimes it’s just a clash of personalities with a boss and a direct report. Other times, ‘robust’ management doesn’t go as well as it should. Not always easy to resolve in a little force. Others do pursue a vindictive agenda, though I believe that the current SMT are much better in general terms, though I do know of at least one prevailing case that doesn’t seem to be reaching resolution. 

There is actually very little leadership and management training for any rank. That’s always been a bit of an issue in the cops in most forces, but doesn’t make it right. 

6 hours ago, manxst said:

That wouldn’t surprise me. 

15 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

you are saying that serving officers have breached Covid regulations and been convicted, and fined? Surely they would have had to appear in court for the sanction to be imposed?

No.  Of course Court reporting on the Island is so unreliable and patchy - even in normal times - that even if they had appeared, we might no know.

(Admittedly it's more than possible that they cocked-up the legal side of things with on-the-spot fines anyway).

The only surprise if police officers were getting off with a fine for stuff that 'the usual suspects' were being jailed for, would be that they were even fined.

4 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

No.  Of course Court reporting on the Island is so unreliable and patchy - even in normal times - that even if they had appeared, we might no know.

(Admittedly it's more than possible that they cocked-up the legal side of things with on-the-spot fines anyway).

The only surprise if police officers were getting off with a fine for stuff that 'the usual suspects' were being jailed for, would be that they were even fined.

Well I stand to be corrected but i’ll Be surprised if this is true

I would imagine that the combination of dealing with the more serious issues including Covid and the rest whilst also trying to be socially sympathetic to the inane drivel on modern media can be quite depressing at times - so I don't blame the CC from having a break from the latter.

If he needs a bit of a rest from it and to re-charge the batteries then so be it. I just hope that his media guys are on the ball when it comes to his return - the last thing he needs is the media carrying the headline;

'CC returns to full duties following a rest and charge'

Archived