15 years on Manx Forums

VinnieK

Just noticed that it was fifteen years this month since I joined Manx Forums.

Christ.  That makes me feel older than does the sight of my wizened old face in the mirror.  So, do I get to ban someone of my choosing as an MF birthday gift or what? 

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't want to ban anyone, because you're all so wonderful.  Sexy too. 

But it would have been nice for it to be offered, that's all. That or a packet of jaffa cakes.

9 hours ago, VinnieK said:

Christ.  That makes me feel older than does the sight of my wizened old face in the mirror.  So, do I get to ban someone of my choosing as an MF birthday gift or what? 

For me it was 15 years in April, where did the time go?

• Sold old company,
  • Started new company,
    • Designed new product
    • Wrote new product
    • Launched etc.
  • Moved from Switzerland to Cornwall,
  • 6 dogs.

2005 - was using Core2Duo (I think), 19" Eizo monitors. Now 8th gen i5, 4k monitors, NVIDIA 1650 Super.

16 hours ago, VinnieK said:

I don't want to ban anyone, because you're all so wonderful.  Sexy too. 

But it would have been nice for it to be offered, that's all. That or a packet of jaffa cakes.

That's because you don't subscribe. We're the poor relations. Subscribers get the woman of their choice for a night every fifth year.

Just checked and it's over 12 years for me, and it works out at an average of about 6 posts a day. That's ignoring a few extended hiatus, so more per day when I've been posting regularly. Bloody hell.

I admit that I sometimes ask myself why. More often than not it's when I'm sitting at my desk taking a coffee break during the day, like now, or late at night as a wind down which usually leads to a wind up from someone. All in all, it's good knockabout stuff in a good spirit.

51 minutes ago, woolley said:

I admit that I sometimes ask myself why. More often than not it's when I'm sitting at my desk taking a coffee break during the day, like now, or late at night as a wind down which usually leads to a wind up from someone. All in all, it's good knockabout stuff in a good spirit.

I'm much the same.  Coffee break here, brief lull in the sobbing there, throw in a sprinkle of caffeine-addled mania and you've got yourself a long and erratic history on here. 

23 hours ago, VinnieK said:

Might be 15 years, but you’ve been inactive for most of the last 5?  No gift for you my lad!

That doesn't count: I wasn't inactive, I was on a sabbatical. 

Besides, public health authorities around the world recommend at least one five year break from Manxforums out of every ten. You as a doctor should be well aware of that. . .unless of course you're deliberately and fiendishly keeping the science a SECRETJ'accuse!

29 minutes ago, ed fournier said:

How many years has Manx Forums been around?

Since 2004, I think—though I am, as Declan quite rightly points out, a filthy noob. 

Tradition now dictates someone recites the saga of Beemanx, Manx.net, etc. in the form of Heroic couplets, and then the orgy can begin.

5 minutes ago, VinnieK said:

Since 2004, I think—though I am, as Declan quite rightly points out, a filthy noob. 

Tradition now dictates someone recites the saga of Beemanx, Manx.net, etc. in the form of Heroic couplets, and then the orgy can begin.

truly a sign of the times when talking about an online message board in nostalgic tones makes you feel like an old yesser down a pub holding court with "tales from when I was a lad"

Archived