Airport.

Billy kettlefish

30 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Glad you did, that would have been very unkind.  But I am sure there is a Gregg's there. ;)

the woman ( i assume that's what she wants to identify as ? ) has to keep her figure somehow.

Edited by WTF
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Cypman said:

Five aircraft holding at the moment, weather doesn’t look too bad ?

The problem was ATC break plus lack of ground crew according to someone on a flight. More delays were caused returning to UK due to lack if ground crew which meant some aircraft eg Liverpool missed slot so delayed more due to ATC 

On 7/31/2023 at 7:16 PM, Banker said:

The problem was ATC break plus lack of ground crew according to someone on a flight. More delays were caused returning to UK due to lack if ground crew which meant some aircraft eg Liverpool missed slot so delayed more due to ATC 

On 7/31/2023 at 9:11 PM, asitis said:

........ and the phrase "third party services. not my responsibility" will be riding swiftly towards the top corridor !

Let me quote a recent FoI (answered 13 July):

"Dear Sirs

As the DOI are aware we currently have a number of issues at the Isle of Man Airport regarding how it functions. I would request all correspondance emails , letters ect to and from airport staff, management or from any other employee at DOI for example airport management , Ministers ect that contain complaints or issues with either staffing problems or any other performance issues with the DOI ground handling operator Menzies . I also ask for any other correspondance held by doi that relates to issues involving Menzies avation and the delay of any flights in or out of ronaldsway airport."

While our aim is to provide information whenever possible, in this instance the public authority does not hold or cannot, after taking reasonable steps to do so, find the information that you have requested.

The Department of Infrastructure has no relationship with Menzies other than for rented accommodation. The only entities that have a relationship with Menzies is the airline.

Please quote the reference number 3195721 in any future communications.

You'll notice of course that this doesn't actually answer the FoI as the Airport might well (for example) have had complaints - even though they have no "relationship" with Menzies.

Menzies have been put in a very difficult position by both the airlines and the airport, especially over recent months.

They will have entered into their contracts with the airlines based on the expected schedule and will (should) have employed enough staff to deal with that in a reasonable manner. However, when aircraft start operating significantly off schedule, especially when lots turn up at the same time, it’s not surprising that their resources will become overwhelmed. 

To my eye, there are three main reasons why this happens, and why arrivals and departures are disrupted at Ronaldsway so regularly. We know what they are, and at the risk of repeating myself, they are summarised below.

ATC Closures.

Whilst things have improved with the revised rosters, this issue will be with us for some time yet. There is little or no resilience in the ATC manpower levels currently, so the potential for closures due to staff sickness or other absence looms large.

Performance of the Airlines.

The number of delays that have occurred because an airline’s aircraft have been delayed elsewhere before running their service to the IOM has been significant recently. There do appear to have been quite a few cancellations due to crew illness too, which shows a concerning lack of standby cover.

All Weather Capability of the Airport.

The airport is ill equipped to deal with low cloud and poor visibility. It is all too easy to forget about this limitation whilst the weather is good, but it has the potential and regularly does cause absolute chaos.

Some of these issues will resolve themselves in time, but others will persist until a conscious decision is taken to rectify them.

The question really is, are we prepared to put up with it?

Edited by madmanxpilot
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 9

2 hours ago, asitis said:

I'm at a loss to understand how a highly salaried airport director is not responsible for the way his airport is running, third party contractors or not ! He is a person who cannot turn pancakes in a pan !

You do realise that this is technically the way that every airport in the World operates?  Airlines contract with ground handling companies.  In some airports the only option they have is the 'company' run by the airport itself, in many there is a single provider contracting space from the airport, in some larger airports there may even be a choice of handlers for each airlines to use.  Historically many airlines even provided their own.

In the past the IOM Airport was in the first position but is now in the second.  This mean the Airport management have little control over what happens., they neither control the staff or the contract under which they operate.  Many people on Manx Forums demanded this privatisation believing it would save costs and increase efficiency.    Some of us warned this was unlikely to happen and control would be lost.

The one person you can't blame for this is the Airport Director, who has only been here a year and has to deal with the situation he inherited.  If you want to shout at anyone attack those who demanded privatisation because they were offended at the idea of baggage handlers get paid more money.  Mirrors are widely available.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I have read all of the above.

Given that all we hear from the Airport Director are comments containing the words 'third party' and 'arms length' to excuse the obvious problems at the Airport, could someone tell me exactly what he IS actually responsible and accountable for?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2