Garff

All discussions relating to this constituency go in this thread please. 

Sitting members:
Daphne Caine MHK
Martyn Perkins MHK

Number of seats: 2

Declared candidates:

Daphne Caine MHK
Gareth Young
Jamie Smith
Andrew Smith 

Two Minutes Summary Videos from ManxRadio:

Both current MHKs said in their manifestos they would bring a bill forward to change the constituency name to be more representative of the area covered, with parts of Onchan having moved in before the 2016 election.

5 years later, it's still Garff. I imagine they'll say the same to Onchan residents again when they go door knocking...

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, sm-iom said:

Both current MHKs said in their manifestos they would bring a bill forward to change the constituency name to be more representative of the area covered, with parts of Onchan having moved in before the 2016 election.

5 years later, it's still Garff. I imagine they'll say the same to Onchan residents again when they go door knocking...

Good thing it didn't get changed wouldn't have got the Gareth for Garff tagline which has sold me 

I hope Daphne Caine will stand again. Sadly, I am not in her constituency, but if I was, I would vote for her. My main reason is that I believe that a country of 85,000 people should be entitled to elect its own CM. This would be a rare act of direct democracy. I realise this little miracle is not going to happen in the 2021 GE, but Daphne has at least made some positive inroads toward making this more likely in the future, and also that we can have a plan to allow a simple majority of MHKs to remove a sitting CM. All of this would be welcome progress IMHO.

Edited by code99
typo
  • Like 6

• 3 weeks later...
15 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

There is now a jamie4garff as well. Commissioner Jamie Smith has declared. 

"At the national level we are undoubtedly facing some very serious challenges to our independence..." I would like to hear more about hat and what he proposals he has to deal with them.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/7/2021 at 7:24 AM, TheTeapot said:

There is now a jamie4garff as well. Commissioner Jamie Smith has declared. Perkins hasn't declared yet, you'd expect him to be under some pressure after not being very good, although he won by a fair bit last time.

I received a leaflet through the post for Martyn Perkins so looks like he will be standing.

• Sad 1