Election Predictions 2021

What, you mean like what if we improve our homes' efficiency, convert to greener power, reduce emissions, start buying local, reduce waste, recycle everything and generally become a cleaner, greener and better place all for nothing?

Edited by Raffles
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Raffles said:

What, you mean like what if we improve our homes' efficiency, convert to greener power, reduce emissions, start buying local, reduce waste, recycle everything and generally become a cleaner, greener and better place all for nothing?

Not for nothing, but an example.

Your home already has loft insulation and you want to improve it to be more green.

A bloke drives to your house to do a quote.  He drives home and does the quote on his computer.

You accept and he orders it.  It’s made in China so has already been made in a factory and shipped halfway round the world on a cargo ship via a number of lorries etc.

It is collected from a warehouse in the Uk by truck and goes to Heysham, to be loaded onto the ferry.

When it finally makes it to the island bloke puts it in his van and drives it to your house.  

He then rips out the existing insulation which while not as efficient as the new stuff was still serving a purpose and had paid back it’s carbon footprint from being designed, produced, tested, shipped and installed.

That goes back in the van to go the the tip.

Do you get the picture?

Oh, thankfully the bloke installing it had done three separate trips to a scabby business park outside Reading to learn how to fit the stuff. He only has to fly back there once a year for refresher training and when there he gets loads of shiny new brochures to give to potential clients.

Basically there is a much bigger picture to look at than the end published figures.

**typing this post was harmful to the environment** go figure.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

What an absolute load of old bollocks. Jesus christ

You think?

Far to many people scrapping perfectly good stuff and not looking at the big picture to replace it with stuff that has a huge environmental impact and will never break even.

Is a bamboo spoon from China really better than a plastic one made in Warrington when you factor in travel etc?

6 hours ago, the stinking enigma said:

What an absolute load of old bollocks. Jesus christ

6 hours ago, Ramseyboi said:

You think?

I rather think it was Stinky's way of saying he completely agrees with you. 🤭

I could be wrong though... 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, quilp said:

I rather think it was Stinky's way of saying he completely agrees with you. 🤭

I could be wrong though... 

The anticipation.  It is too much.

It is making me eat chocolate and fart - both of which have a negative environmental impact (the wife agrees) 

I know it was an accurate post and hope it made a few people think but I fear they just think new insulation is better - 'cause

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Ramseyboi said:

Not for nothing, but an example.

Your home already has loft insulation and you want to improve it to be more green.

A bloke drives to your house to do a quote.  He drives home and does the quote on his computer.

You accept and he orders it.  It’s made in China so has already been made in a factory and shipped halfway round the world on a cargo ship via a number of lorries etc.

It is collected from a warehouse in the Uk by truck and goes to Heysham, to be loaded onto the ferry.

When it finally makes it to the island bloke puts it in his van and drives it to your house.  

He then rips out the existing insulation which while not as efficient as the new stuff was still serving a purpose and had paid back it’s carbon footprint from being designed, produced, tested, shipped and installed.

That goes back in the van to go the the tip.

Do you get the picture?

Oh, thankfully the bloke installing it had done three separate trips to a scabby business park outside Reading to learn how to fit the stuff. He only has to fly back there once a year for refresher training and when there he gets loads of shiny new brochures to give to potential clients.

Basically there is a much bigger picture to look at than the end published figures.

**typing this post was harmful to the environment** go figure.

How about a different example. 

The new green loan due in October will allow me to get loft insulation - my loft is currently not insulated. 

I will use a local guy, with recycled insulation. He will make money from it, I will save money on heating.

The re-used plastic will be saved from disposal for the foreseeable and my emissions reduced significantly by my more efficient home.

Do you "get the picture"?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Raffles said:

How about a different example. 

The new green loan due in October will allow me to get loft insulation - my loft is currently not insulated. 

I will use a local guy, with recycled insulation. He will make money from it, I will save money on heating.

The re-used plastic will be saved from disposal for the foreseeable and my emissions reduced significantly by my more efficient home.

Do you "get the picture"?

Perfect.  You have thought it through and that is a good solution that benefits everybody.

My point is not everyone bothers, and while your example is good there are people who would think noting of shipping stuff halfway around the world to swap a couple of grams of plastic for a couple of grams of wood and not see the issue.

We should all be doing what we can, but thinking about the big picture and of what we are doing is really beneficial.

• Like 1

It would be much more sensible to stop building properties with cold 'lofts'.

Over insulating a cold loft (IE above the ceiling of the top floor) is a great way of trapping moisture and creating a problem.

It would be more sensible to build properties with attic rooms and insulated roofs.

1 minute ago, SleepyJoe said:

Is 3/50 good?

As I understand it you would get £3 back for every £50 you out on (plus your stake)

Might be wrong but Ashford seems worth a punt at 23/1 compared to oliphant-smith at 2/1

Load of tosh.  Just like their other predictions.