Brexit Penny Dropping?

ManxTaxPayer

@The Voice of Reason you really are showing your age.  No one born post 1980 has been taught imperial measurements in the UK at school.

Essentially no-one aged under 45 will have any real idea about imperial measurements.  The only exceptions will be the ones that have clung on such as a mile, a pint, pounds and ounces etc.  I guess some horse racing fans may know what a furlough is but the metric system makes much more sense.

Sure it is easier but isn't that a good thing?  Why would you want to make things more complicated?  

That and the fact that pretty much the rest of the world uses metric means that standardisation is easier.  The major exception is of course the USA but they probably believe that the metric system is either the work of the devil or some commie idea.

This whole thing is just more bullshit from the UK Government trying to find a brexit benefit. 

2 hours ago, manxman1980 said:

@The Voice of Reason you really are showing your age.  No one born post 1980 has been taught imperial measurements in the UK at school.

Essentially no-one aged under 45 will have any real idea about imperial measurements.  The only exceptions will be the ones that have clung on such as a mile, a pint, pounds and ounces etc.

Older than that mate. I'd say any Gen X-er, so born after 1965, will have only learned metric at school.  The problem was all the adults around us spoke in Imperial. So if I have to measure something I'll use metric,but I have a secondary fuzzy set of measurements for abstract stuff. "It's about a mile ...", "It's a few feet that way", "I need to lose a stone", "I'd like a quarter ounce please" but I can never remember how many ounces make a stone, or yards make up a mile. I do know I mile is about 1600 metres though.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I don’t really think that anybody, whatever their age is calling for a return of VHS tapes anymore than they wish to see the return of the penny farthing bicycle.

I think the VHS revival is around the corner. There's already channels on you-tube.

4 hours ago, Declan said:

Older than that mate. I'd say any Gen X-er, so born after 1965, will have only learned metric at school.  The problem was all the adults around us spoke in Imperial. So if I have to measure something I'll use metric,but I have a secondary fuzzy set of measurements for abstract stuff. "It's about a mile ...", "It's a few feet that way", "I need to lose a stone", "I'd like a quarter ounce please" but I can never remember how many ounces make a stone, or yards make up a mile. I do know I mile is about 1600 metres though.

I thought that would be the case but I was speaking from my own experience. 

My own understanding of imperial measurements is very much the same as yours.  Learnt from the older generations but without really any understanding. 

10 hours ago, Declan said:

Easy calculation is 1 km = 6/10 of a mile.

So 60 kph would be 36 mph.

It's actually 37mph but as a ready reckoner it works fine.

Incidentally adopting the metric system leading to a drop in school standards is 99.9% nonsense.

18 hours ago, P.K. said:

Easy calculation is 1 km = 6/10 of a mile.

So 60 kph would be 36 mph.

It's actually 37mph but as a ready reckoner it works fine.

Incidentally adopting the metric system leading to a drop in school standards is 99.9% nonsense.

Actually it’s 5/8 not 6/10, so it’s 37.5.