IOM DHSC & MANX CARE

Cassie2

15 hours ago, Jarndyce said:

There’s an ugly rumour that 90% of prescriptions are free anyway (elderly, on benefits, chronic/long term, etc) - if that’s true, might as well make ‘em ALL free…

I've heard the same. But if we make it free for all, how will we employ all the administrators who will become redundant?

17 hours ago, Jarndyce said:

There’s an ugly rumour that 90% of prescriptions are free anyway (elderly, on benefits, chronic/long term, etc) - if that’s true, might as well make ‘em ALL free…

It seems quite plausible.  I couldn't find any recent data but there was an FoI in 2017 (case id 355269) which gave some other information, but while it couldn't give the exact info requested stated:

However, you may find useful to know that 10% items prescribed in the period 01-Apr-16 and 31-Mar-17, attracted a fee.

It's not clear if this included those who buy a pre-payment certificate to cover all charges in a certain period.  I suspect the wording (" attracted a fee") implies it does.  In which case even that 10% won't be earning the full £3.85.

• Thanks 1

Our prescription regulations are completely out of date and out of synch.

Yes, the per item cost is much lower than England, but the range of exemptions is much less.

I was often given prescriptions in Liverpool which I had dispensed in the private pharmacy in the hospital foyer.

To start I tried to pay the prescription charge. But was told as I was an oncology patient all drugs, dispensed during cancer treatment, follow up, until discharge from follow up clinic, were exempt from charge in England.

• Like 1

If I was in charge I’d make prescriptions free, but have a limited formulary of things that are prescribable - nothing you can buy over the counter, mainly generic rather than branded drugs, and nothing that doesn’t work. 

• Like 9

Just now, wrighty said:

If I was in charge I’d make prescriptions free, but have a limited formulary of things that are prescribable - nothing you can buy over the counter, mainly generic rather than branded drugs, and nothing that doesn’t work. 

+1

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, newaccount said:

Some drugs commissioned in NHS aren't available here. Not even second class citizens on the island nowadays 

More to do with DHSC/IOMG not being willing to fund them…take it up with Hooper!

• Like 2

21 hours ago, wrighty said:

Agreed. Plus taking into account the administration costs (banking, admin and issuing exemptions, pre-payment, etc.), it would probably save money making prescriptions free. 

50 minutes ago, Dirty Buggane said:

Apart from the redundancy packages and pension's we would have to pay to the department that runs the prescription service.

There will be more admin involved than just the fee you would think. 

On 4/7/2024 at 2:23 PM, wrighty said:

The over the counter price can be quite expensive. There was a mess up with my prescription and I had to buy the generic equivalent - £3-50 for a week's worth whilst the prescription you get 6 weeks worth.