IOM DHSC & MANX CARE

Cassie2

3 hours ago, Moghrey Mie said:

Poaching people from other countries is never going to solve the situation. How many young Manx people are going into medicine and related professions?

quite a few , and then they fuck off to better places.

• Like 6

“Poaching” is a handy virtue-signalling short form, but is it really accurate?   If we have the vacancies and qualified staff from other countries are keen to apply, should we be the ones to say “no, it’s not fair to your home country”?

How to retain homegrown staff is part of a much bigger fundamental question…

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Jarndyce said:

“Poaching” is a handy virtue-signalling short form, but is it really accurate?   If we have the vacancies and qualified staff from other countries are keen to apply, should we be the ones to say “no, it’s not fair to your home country”?

a consideration with home grown staff in a jurisdiction as tiny as this is that there is a good chance you will end up dealing with a family member or friend , or friend of a friend etc so it may be awkward for some patients and maybe doctors as a perceived level of familiarity could be felt.  if they were being dealt with by someone from else where who is not going to know them or their friends socially  it adds a level of privacy to things. 

Edited by WTF
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, WTF said:

a consideration with home grown staff in a jurisdiction as tiny as this is that there is a good chance you will end up dealing with a family member or friend , or friend of a friend etc so it may be awkward for some patients and maybe doctors as a perceived level of familiarity could be felt.  if they were being dealt with by someone from else where who is not going to know them or their friends socially  it adds a level of privacy to things

Completely agree - 100%.  Not something that’s mentioned often in all the noise about home-grown staff, but as valid an issue for the professionals as it is for the patients.

1 hour ago, Jarndyce said:

What about, say, refugees?  If any are medically qualified,  do we tell them to go back home and not employ them? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WTF said:

a consideration with home grown staff in a jurisdiction as tiny as this is that there is a good chance you will end up dealing with a family member or friend , or friend of a friend etc so it may be awkward for some patients and maybe doctors as a perceived level of familiarity could be felt.  if they were being dealt with by someone from else where who is not going to know them or their friends socially  it adds a level of privacy to things. 

Bollocks. There are elderly Manx people in care homes being looked after by foreign carers who know nothing about the Island or the people they're looking after. That's not their fault and it's no criticism of them but we should be employing more locally trained workers in all sectors, particularly Health and Care. Government don't want to do it and would rather import foreign workers. It's economic policy and it's been that way for a long time.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Bollocks. There are elderly Manx people in care homes being looked after by foreign carers who know nothing about the Island or the people they're looking after. That's not their fault and it's no criticism of them but we should be employing more locally trained workers in all sectors, particularly Health and Care. Government don't want to do it and would rather import foreign workers. It's economic policy and it's been that way for a long time.

Local people don't want to do it for the same wages either? There's low unemployment and many 'better' jobs going for 'locals'.

You say that there's low unemployment but how many people are on benefits, not seeking work, or in zero hours/low paid jobs when they could be in proper jobs getting training, future security and full employment rights  ? There are also hundreds of teenagers still in full-time education when they should be in first jobs.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

22 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

You say that there's low unemployment but how many people are on benefits, not seeking work, or in zero hours/low paid jobs when they could be in proper jobs getting training, future security and full employment rights

I don’t know: do you?

36 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Government don't want to do it and would rather import foreign workers. It's economic policy and it's been that way for a long time.

I wouldn’t disagree.  But I certainly don’t have a problem with foreign workers and the “poaching” thing sounds like a cop-out way of not employing them.

Also, even if government policy changed overnight, we would still need foreign workers to plug the gap until local workers were trained and ready to start.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

There are elderly Manx people in care homes being looked after by foreign carers who know nothing about the Island or the people they're looking after. That's not their fault and it's no criticism of them

You’ve stated that explicitly - and yet your previous sentence still sounds like an implied criticism.   For avoidance of doubt, I’m not in a care home - but some of the best, most caring treatment that I’ve received on the island has been from foreign doctors and nurses.

Edited by Jarndyce
Syntax
  • Like 2

For avoidance of doubt, I agree with you. I've had fantastic care in the Manx NHS from professional doctors and nurses from many different countries. I've been impressed with them all without exception. I've told them that too. Couldn't wish for better care. The best.

That do yer ? But it wasn't my point.   

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

That do yer ? But it wasn't my point.

Thanks, yes.   But I agreed with your point about IOMG economic policy in a comment above.   So, if I've still managed to miss your fundamental point, can you boil it down into one statement for me?  Assume I'm an idiot.  

Many thanks.

Edited by Jarndyce
Clarification

1 hour ago, Shake me up Judy said:

You say that there's low unemployment but how many people are on benefits, not seeking work, or in zero hours/low paid jobs when they could be in proper jobs getting training, future security and full employment rights  ? There are also hundreds of teenagers still in full-time education when they should be in first jobs.

bring back slavery then ??