Fc Isle of Man….who is paying for it?

Nomadic Raptor

On 11/7/2022 at 8:12 PM, 0bserver said:

Realistically nobody will do any better than Bassy. 

Limited pool of players. Virtually no finances. Very poor quality experience at the Bowl (no bar in the ground/unroofed). Fickle fans - the crowds disappear when success dries up or Liverpool are playing. 

How do you know no one will do better? 

I went on Saturday and at least there was a plan other than 'hit it to the big guy'. 

Was quite surprised to hear the news but I don't think it's a disaster. Certainly seems to have his supporters given the outcry on FB but there's definitely more to this than meets they eye as those in the know some to be alluding to. 

Had heard that Corinthians players were never too keen on him and I did actually witness one of them tell him to eff off once at a game when he was shouting something in their direction. 

1 hour ago, jackwhite said:

How do you know no one will do better? 

Just call it a hunch. 

There's nobody on island with more footballing experience than him and certainly nobody better qualified that would be willing to take the job for free. 

The Club has little money, they lost £9k last season at a time when crowds were almost three times what they are this season. 

There's a relatively tiny pool of players to pick from and they're not paying players like most other clubs at their level, so again they will struggle to get the top talent... certainly they won't be getting any transfers from English clubs. 

The motivations behind FC IOM are good, but they may have already hit their peak. 

• Thanks 1

I’m sure Ron Manager would do it for free. Back to basics , jumpers for goalposts. We’d have half backs , wingers , a huge centre forward like Jeff Astle. And full backs who didn’t fanny around with that overlapping shite but would just kick the shit out of the wingers. Oh and proper centre halves  who could not pass a ball to save themselves but could kick the living daylights out of the likes of Gary Lineker. Poncy twat that he is. Proper 70’s mannies fitba and not this poncy 1-2 -3- 1 shit we have now. So FC hammer the ball into the channels , then into the box and the goals will come easy. That’s how it’s done in non league , muscle and get it wide then in the box. 

• Like 1

I'm not a huge follower of FC IoM but having watched the interview it strikes me as being yet another case of age-old IoM syndrome where the egos of some local great and good/establishment are taking precedence over the subject.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 11/8/2022 at 10:58 PM, 0bserver said:

Just call it a hunch. 

There's nobody on island with more footballing experience than him and certainly nobody better qualified that would be willing to take the job for free. 

The Club has little money, they lost £9k last season at a time when crowds were almost three times what they are this season. 

There's a relatively tiny pool of players to pick from and they're not paying players like most other clubs at their level, so again they will struggle to get the top talent... certainly they won't be getting any transfers from English clubs. 

The motivations behind FC IOM are good, but they may have already hit their peak. 

There might be nobody on island but it might not be someone here. 

None of us actually know so let's just wait and see how it goes. 

It is odd timing as that was the first time on Saturday where I thought they were trying to play modern football. 

7 hours ago, jackwhite said:

There might be nobody on island but it might not be someone here. 

None of us actually know so let's just wait and see how it goes. 

It is odd timing as that was the first time on Saturday where I thought they were trying to play modern football. 

It won't be someone off island. They would have to pay them and they simply don't have the money.

I've heard Josem linked with the position.

On 11/10/2022 at 7:12 AM, 0bserver said:

It won't be someone off island. They would have to pay them and they simply don't have the money.

I've heard Josem linked with the position.

No he's Director of Self Importance and Promotion.

He'll appear for a photo on the sideline then clear off to do whatever he really does and believes in (which isn't what he posts).

Anyway he's way too busy as Isle of Man Minister of Defence for the impending nuclear weapons attack.

Something a bit odd about the whole thing and Bass seems to be suggesting that this is the instigation of Jones who was originally offered the job and turned it down. From what I got from the interview he's saying he's now changed his mind at an opportune time with injured players returning and a winnable run of games.

Whether any of this is true or sour grapes I don't know.

Will be interesting to see how they do for the rest of the season. 

• Like 1

We’re talking about a bunch of young lads playing a bit of football for fun , not money. Get a grip lads. The manager , whoever he will be , will make bugger all difference. He doesn’t play unless you haven’t noticed. And will have the players that are there are now.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally a win for Jonesy's Barmy Army today. 

On the flip side that was their lowest league crowd with only 476 people showing up. 

A lot of people chose to support their local clubs... didn't FcIoM promise not to play when the local leagues had games?

Castletown v Colby in the Combi was a good game and far cheaper than the Bowl