Villa Marina walkway

Passing Time

On 4/6/2022 at 7:52 PM, AOR said:

Do I have toi be a regular customer or something to make an opinion?

I know enough about Jaks to form an opinion thank you very much. I walk past the place 2 or 3 times a week.

Oh, and  I read the newspapers - I take it you do too - any drunkenness, fighting etc, it's an odds on bet that Jaks is mentioned, although to be fair 1886 is making the occasional appearance these days.  

1886 is more drugs than alcohol and trouble spills out into strands street easier 

4 hours ago, AOR said:

No it is not a joke, but trying to block off the colonnade walkway has to be.

My comments were in response to @WTF who was suggesting my opinion was not informed. And yes, twinkle in the eye and all that, my family before me have walked along the Villa Marina Colonnade from when it was built. I can only claim 50 or so years.

did your family ever walk up the street/lane the current M&S was built over ?

3 hours ago, WTF said:

did your family ever walk up the street/lane the current M&S was built over ?

Yes, and so did I.

There was an act of Tynwald slipped through that removed that street as a right of way. 

• 2 months later...
On 4/7/2022 at 8:07 PM, Kopek said:

I think that some of us are basing our opinion on the fact that this area is and has been for a long long time, a public thoroughfare, almost a Right of Way and closing it off for the use of a minority of users is to the disadvantage of the majority?

Add to that the commercial reasons for doing so.......................

Doubling the capacity of the cafe should mean a doubling of the rent, 100k?

I would agree that the 'Family Restaurant' idea is what is needed but the place for that would be Peel Rd. They had their chance.

Either way, closing off a public footpath is not the way.

From what I am hearing, this is going ahead. Having failed then appealed, the planning committee virtually discounted a number of objectors. So now it looks as though the plan is to have glass concertina type openings at the front with either end bricked up and an entrance and exit door either end

Looking at the planning application, which is available online for all to see, there does not appear to be any new walls, glass, brick or other type, it's just an external seating area, just like the café next door has. There's nothing stopping pedestrians walking between the tables under the cover of the colonnade.

villa.jpg

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Katman said:

Looking at the planning application, which is available online for all to see, there does not appear to be any new walls, glass, brick or other type, it's just an external seating area, just like the café next door has. There's nothing stopping pedestrians walking between the tables under the cover of the colonnade.

villa.jpg

Are they not solid walls either side in that plan?

Walkway.jpg

Edited by Passing Time

On 6/14/2022 at 1:02 PM, Kaijose said:

I assume guitar strings are offered in Sound Records. Saw it stated in FB post. Not positive what else by no means been in however is probably really well worth a look.

Cables, pectrums, strings etc

As mentioned earlier Bridge Bookshop in PE and Ramsey have a range of musical supplies. 

There's a dedicated music shop opening in Peel too I believe.

23 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

Are they not solid walls either side in that plan?

Walkway.jpg

The original application and plans showed the colonnade walkway blocked either end and glazed in. It was refused. A new application was submitted, no walls, no glazed in area. The plan linked above does not show any walls or glazing of the colonnade walkway, apart from by two lines of seating.

59 minutes ago, John Wright said:

The original application and plans showed the colonnade walkway blocked either end and glazed in. It was refused. A new application was submitted, no walls, no glazed in area. The plan linked above does not show any walls or glazing of the colonnade walkway, apart from by two lines of seating.

Correct but did you read the final paragraph about the applicant appealing against the original refusal?

40 minutes ago, Katman said:

Is this going to be just a seasonal restaurant, nobody is going to want to sit outside eating their steak and chips in the middle of winter and there isn't much sating inside.

Not seasonal as far as I'm aware. Will be run along the same lines as Barbary Coast.