Firm closing

finlo

1 hour ago, The Phantom said:

Just Pizza Pasta interestingly now offering franchise opportunities.  I'd assume in the UK rather than here though. 

https://www.justpizzaandpastafranchise.com/our-story/

Maybe not. Had a chat with the owner a year or more ago and he was actively planning opening another restaurant on the Island. Even was increasing staff to be able to have a smooth transition . It obviously didn’t go further then but perhaps he’s resurrecting the idea. He’s also never really opened the upstairs space so who knows.  

1 hour ago, The Phantom said:

Just Pizza Pasta interestingly now offering franchise opportunities.  I'd assume in the UK rather than here though. 

https://www.justpizzaandpastafranchise.com/our-story/

They got some good creatives write the spiel for that.

Not sure how successful they really are, the boast is that they open lunch and evening and their best was 1500 covers, in a 150 seater restaurant, in one week in July 2023. So their best week had 70% occupancy, and that’s assuming evenings they only work on one booking per table.

@jackwhite will be able to tell us if that’s good.

2 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Not sure how successful they really are, the boast is that they open lunch and evening and their best was 1500 covers, in a 150 seater restaurant, in one week in July 2023. So their best week had 70% occupancy, and that’s assuming evenings they only work on one booking per table.

It's good for family and kids.  Always seems to be rammed when I go with the family.  I'd warrant it is one of the more successful operations on the Island.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, John Wright said:

It's above average for a casual place like them but that's a one off. I can't access the information you set out, for whatever reason.

Optimally you're aiming at turnover every 45 minutes. It is extended to 1 hour 15 minutes at dinner sitting. 

So in reality he should be turning over the tables 3 times during lunch and 3 to 4 times during dinner. 

That said it's a one off and I'm sure any similar restaurant on the Isle of Man could comfortably boast similar or higher figures at some point. 

They do well though. I was in it a few weeks ago on a wet and windy Tuesday night and it was busy.

I have my own reasons but it's something I'd advise people against for this particular company. 

If it was offered here to be extended into Ramsey, Peel or Port Erin, then it might do well. If it's the UK, it's a waste of time. No one has a clue who they are and you'd be better just setting up your own business and identity. 

I heard a similar plan by some employees of one of the reasonably successful businesses here and it wouldn't work for similar reasons, although there are a number of unique factors about that particular business here on the Isle of Man too. 

23 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

It's good for family and kids.  Always seems to be rammed when I go with the family.  I'd warrant it is one of the more successful operations on the Island.  

Would agree with you. Must admit it’s my favorite place to go for a nice relaxing meal. Always great food and it’s remained reasonable priced. Nice change for places over here. I usually go on a Thursday and it’s always busy. As for Johns comments there is a big separate room which they open if bookings are strong. The main room is always busy and of course the staff accordingly. And 1500 covers is great going and something you couldn’t keep up for long. The head chef has been with him for years and is very very good . As a footnote they will and do book out tables more than once in an evening. . 

Edited by Numbnuts

5 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

It's above average for a casual place like them but that's a one off. I can't access the information you set out, for whatever reason.

Optimally you're aiming at turnover every 45 minutes. It is extended to 1 hour 15 minutes at dinner sitting. 

So in reality he should be turning over the tables 3 times during lunch and 3 to 4 times during dinner. 

That said it's a one off and I'm sure any similar restaurant on the Isle of Man could comfortably boast similar or higher figures at some point. 

They do well though. I was in it a few weeks ago on a wet and windy Tuesday night and it was busy.

I have my own reasons but it's something I'd advise people against for this particular company. 

If it was offered here to be extended into Ramsey, Peel or Port Erin, then it might do well. If it's the UK, it's a waste of time. No one has a clue who they are and you'd be better just setting up your own business and identity. 

I heard a similar plan by some employees of one of the reasonably successful businesses here and it wouldn't work for similar reasons, although there are a number of unique factors about that particular business here on the Isle of Man too. 

He actually had a couple of takeouts under the same name in the UK previously. One was in Newcastle. This while he was operating here .

1 minute ago, Numbnuts said:

He actually had a couple of takeouts under the same name in the UK previously. One was in Newcastle. This while he was operating here .

Regardless, it's still not a well known name in the UK. 

You're also up against the giants. 

It's a saturated market and a Just Pizza n Pasta 'franchise' isn't going to get people flocking to your door over the competitors.

7 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

It's a saturated market and a Just Pizza n Pasta 'franchise' isn't going to get people flocking to your door over the competitors.

No , I agree but was just making the point he had outlets in the UK . JPandP strength is driven by the chef Marco. Of course he can only be in one place so this is what could be a stumbling block. 

9 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

About 10 years ago I used to do some work with the (as then) owners of Dishoom.  They semi looked at coming over here, but it just wasn't worth it when you compare to their UK operations.  Shame though as it's a great operation.  I had a chat with Sree about it too, as they provided a small amount of inspiration for his Street Food place on Prospect Hill. 

https://www.dishoom.com/

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mad_manx said:

I'm also a fan of Mowgli in the UK. Started off in Liverpool and has worked well. I think they have expanded into quite a bit of the UK 

https://www.mowglistreetfood.com/

Yeah Mowgli were always Dishoom's main direct competitor / benchmark.  Both done well using a fairly similar premise. 

Didn't know it started off in Liverpool.  I think they mainly concentrated on the North whilst Dishoom had the South initially.

Dishoom's first was Covent Garden I think - at least that's the one that's been open the longest.  Then a few more in London and eventually non London expansion. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

About 10 years ago I used to do some work with the (as then) owners of Dishoom.  They semi looked at coming over here, but it just wasn't worth it when you compare to their UK operations.  Shame though as it's a great operation.  I had a chat with Sree about it too, as they provided a small amount of inspiration for his Street Food place on Prospect Hill. 

https://www.dishoom.com/

Was in Dishoom Covent Garden a month ago. I find it pretentious. Food is good, but the inability to book evenings is, for me, a disincentive. I’ve been to several branches, including Manchester, where I got trapped, temporarily, after the accessible lift failed. 

Covent Garden suffers from staff being out of work actors who rush through their script at 100mph leaving me none the wiser.

The whole chain suffers from my beef about the lack of tie in  between the menu designers and lighting designers, with strange fonts, busy design, pastel type on coloured background, in low light.

31 minutes ago, mad_manx said:

I'm also a fan of Mowgli in the UK. Started off in Liverpool and has worked well. I think they have expanded into quite a bit of the UK 

https://www.mowglistreetfood.com/

Like Mowgli, on Bold St, Prefer Yukti on Renshaw Street.

23 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Yeah Mowgli were always Dishoom's main direct competitor / benchmark.  Both done well using a fairly similar premise. 

Didn't know it started off in Liverpool.  I think they mainly concentrated on the North whilst Dishoom had the South initially.

Dishoom's first was Covent Garden I think - at least that's the one that's been open the longest.  Then a few more in London and eventually non London expansion. 

I prefer the Mowgli/Yukti concept to that of Dishoom. Dishoom are huge and inauthentic design wise. However some of the dishes are brilliantly executed, and not seen anywhere else.

ETA hadn’t realised Mowgli had extended so far and wide.

• Like 2