Firm closing

finlo

7 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

Isn’t fresh produce kind of against the Iceland principle? :)

I can see them being pushed to enable Robinsons to take on a store for local produce though.

Iceland's new brand "the food warehouse" is a slick operation. I used to visit and buy from one of their stores in Scotland when on long business trips.

Edited by Andy Onchan

29 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

For those saying 10 stores is too many, it is, 

if it is/was surely shoprite would have closed some of their 9 stores long ago ?  i don't see 9 being ok and 10 being too many to back up your claim.

that said often having a store there to just take business from a  competitor to stifle the competition might be more of a reason than actual profit for yourself

Edited by WTF

1 hour ago, NoTailT said:

Probably already mentioned on here but I also notice all the Lloyds Pharmacies are closing periodically to become Clear Pharmacy.

I do wonder if Tesco will look to bring some of its concessions over such as Tesco Mobile (they already sell SIMs), Opticians and Pharmacy?

Tesco mobile is only a retail front for O2 network, I cant see it happening unless O2 start building masts here

33 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

It's the same with Coops in the UK. Irritating when virtually every swipe across the scanner either fails to read the barcode or the bagging area thinks you're trying to knick something.

I think the Self Service tills should have an age limit.

"Under 70's Only" seems about right...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Bombay Bad Boy said:

http://mail.energyfm.net/cms/news_story_108490.html

Where's Tesco currently, sitting by a river? Oh look, isn't that the body of my enemy?

I can see that one closing down and becoming a warehouse.

Edited by Roxanne
to change the word whorehouse into warehouse. FFS
  • Like 1
  • Haha 7

2 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

Remember, you are (probably) not an employee, so don't use the 'self service' tills.

But how else will Thommo get away with a full trolley of shopping for the price of a bag of carrots?

I went into Tesco on Sunday and was amused to see a long line of filled trollies waiting to check out at the automatic tills - mainly I suspect having used one of those devices to record your shop as you went along.  And beyond them several human-run checkouts with hardly anyone at them. 

Of course for some people being able to know your running total is vital, but the system does give the opportunity for things to 'accidentally' missed or small, expensive items to vanish into the depths of the trolley.  And in the unlikely chance it gets picked up by security staff, you can always claim that little Ollie must have slipped it in there when you weren't looking.  Isn't he a scamp?

Meanwhile the supermarkets whine loudly about shoplifting being on the increase and blaming poor people, rather than their own business practices.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

But how else will Thommo get away with a full trolley of shopping for the price of a bag of carrots?

I went into Tesco on Sunday and was amused to see a long line of filled trollies waiting to check out at the automatic tills - mainly I suspect having used one of those devices to record your shop as you went along.  And beyond them several human-run checkouts with hardly anyone at them. 

Of course for some people being able to know your running total is vital, but the system does give the opportunity for things to 'accidentally' missed or small, expensive items to vanish into the depths of the trolley.  And in the unlikely chance it gets picked up by security staff, you can always claim that little Ollie must have slipped it in there when you weren't looking.  Isn't he a scamp?

Meanwhile the supermarkets whine loudly about shoplifting being on the increase and blaming poor people, rather than their own business practices.

You are spot on here.

I use self scan 100% for budgeting purposes.

22 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

I can see that one closing down and becoming a warehouse.

i can't , unless they want to start their own private car park , they couldn't get planning to extend that store so the car park would be wasted space,  mind you,  shoprite won't be objecting to tesco planning applications anymore will they ?? .