Weak sentencing…

Manx Bean

53 minutes ago, Harry Lamb said:

England has the Sentencing Council, I suppose, but there are problems with guidelines per se, since they prioritise the crime and previous offences rather than the precise details of a particular case, and this can lead to unfairness. The Law Commission is supposed to be working on a sentencing code, but progress is slow. In the meantime, accurate reporting to the public would be a positive move.

I don’t know if you’ve actually looked at the guidelines?

They take into account factors relevant to the crime, and the sentencing parameters set by the legislature, and factors that aggravate or mitigate, which are specific to the offence itself.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, John Wright said:

I don’t know if you’ve actually looked at the guidelines?

They take into account factors relevant to the crime, and the sentencing parameters set by the legislature, and factors that aggravate or mitigate, which are specific to the offence itself.

Actually I was paraphrasing comments made by the Law Commission :)

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Manxweegie said:

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/gunpoint-rapist-is-jailed-for-12-and-a-half-years-567496

A shocking crime, but it does at least appear sentencing has been as tough as the guidelines allow.

He's a lovely boy and was only convicted because he's black (according to his mother).

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Sorry Mr Peters. I have admiration for several of your opinions / views but I do not expect any elected official to become embroiled in in the merits or otherwise on a court case / sentencing and any of the issues around it.

The risk is that it may be seen as some form of criticism of the participants and could be regarded as a breach of the Nolan principles. It doesn't behove lawmakers to express any view that could cause second thinking about the reasoning behind sentencing.

I may be wrong but I really believe you are much better than that. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 9/22/2022 at 5:46 PM, John Wright said:

Perhaps it doesn’t work like that.

If politicians had listened to public opinion at the time we’d still have capital and corporal punishment and gay sex would still be illegal.

They've got to lead. 

I'm not sure you can completely credit far thinking politicians with the abolishment of capital or corporal punishment nor the legalisation of gay sex. I think evolving public opinion may have had its part to play in all of them.

The poster you were replying to suggested that public opinion was that currently drug users are harshly dealt with harshly, while sex offenders are treated leniently. Are you suggesting that our politicians are trying to wean us off our largely harmless drug habit in favour of recreational sexual abuse?

33 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

He's a lovely boy and was only convicted because he's black (according to his mother).

Yes that was a terrible quote. He got 12 years fair and square and probably should have had more for such a horrendous crime. Your race has little to do with determining whether you’re a rapist or not. 

44 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

Sigh.

Seriously man what the fuck is wrong with you? Like what on earth is the thought process that goes through what passes as you brain that makes you think that this is in any way a comment worth posting?

Good grief.

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, manxfisherman said:

Sigh.

Seriously man what the fuck is wrong with you? Like what on earth is the thought process that goes through what passes as you brain that makes you think that this is in any way a comment worth posting?

Good grief.

To be fair to Stu it’s a straight quote attributed to the convicted’s mother. Reported in the press. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5