Weak sentencing…

Manx Bean

1 hour ago, CrazyDave said:

I would expect it to be a lot more.  That sounds cheap

Actually a quick google comes up with an IOM Newspapers article from last year (using 2022 figures) based on an FoI:

The Department for Home Affairs has released the annual figures, which include the overall cost of running the prison and the cost of care for each individual prisoner.

The average number of prison officers that were employed throughout 2022 was 81, while these officers were paid a remuneration of £5,418,006 across the board.

The overall cost of running the prison was £7,448,747, which includes all remuneration, utility costs, food, training, IT, repairs and insurances.

The average cost of holding one prisoner for the year was £80,094.50.

This was calculated by dividing expenditure by 93, the average number of prisoners that were held in 2022.

Edited to add: If you were looking for the actual weekly cost, that gives you £143,245 from dividing the total cost by 52.  Obviously most of that will be fixed cost, so cost per prisoner will vary mainly on how many there are, usually it's 90-100 I think.   Unlike UK prisons it's not usually anywhere near capacity (138) so cost per prisoner will be higher.

Edited by Roger Mexico

4 hours ago, La Colombe said:

Err, he was punished. 

Beg pardon, yes you are right.

He was indeed “punished”

“A drug driver, who was already disqualified, has been handed a suspended sentence and a five year driving ban.

Jamie Christopher Aire tested positive for benzoylecgonine, a metabolite of cocaine.

He also admitted possessing ecstasy, having no insurance, and having no vehicle licence.

Magistrates sentenced the 32-year-old to 20 weeks’ custody, suspended for two years and also made him the subject of an 18 month suspended sentence supervision order.”

57 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Beg pardon, yes you are right.

He was indeed “punished”

“A drug driver, who was already disqualified, has been handed a suspended sentence and a five year driving ban.

Jamie Christopher Aire tested positive for benzoylecgonine, a metabolite of cocaine.

He also admitted possessing ecstasy, having no insurance, and having no vehicle licence.

Magistrates sentenced the 32-year-old to 20 weeks’ custody, suspended for two years and also made him the subject of an 18 month suspended sentence supervision order.”

Just because you don't agree with the punishment doesn't mean he wasn't punished

With cost of keeping these twerps in the chokey perhaps that is why sentences are lighter than would be expected also as there were 90 beauties inside last September and there is only room for 120 consideration has to be given to numbers it wouldn’t do to have a full house especially with the amount of money it is costing.

21 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

I'd say 8 years for her first time drug offence is about right but 9 years for him after previously being done 3 times before for the same offence and at the age of 40 isn't changing seems a bit sift to me

https://www.facebook.com/share/p/yTTfNdexm8b7FBPK/

It may be her first drug offence but when she was sentenced for three assaults in the same day in 2022:

[...] during sentencing at Douglas Courthouse her advocate confirmed she’d been under the influence of drugs at the time.

“She really does have an unenviable record for someone of her age,” he told the court adding: “She is someone who places her own life at risk by the drug taking habits that she has.”

31 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

It may be her first drug offence but when she was sentenced for three assaults in the same day in 2022:

[...] during sentencing at Douglas Courthouse her advocate confirmed she’d been under the influence of drugs at the time.

“She really does have an unenviable record for someone of her age,” he told the court adding: “She is someone who places her own life at risk by the drug taking habits that she has.”

Oh I know all about her and her previous, my point was a guy who has been done 3 times for the same offence gets only 1 year more 

The trouble is twofold, firstly the prison is filling up at an alarming rate and secondly when one dealer gets nabbed there is always one waiting in the shadows to take over.    I really don’t know what the answer is but at rate of play we will be having to build another wing on the prison.

1 minute ago, Fred the shred said:

The trouble is twofold, firstly the prison is filling up at an alarming rate and secondly when one dealer gets nabbed there is always one waiting in the shadows to take over.    I really don’t know what the answer is but at rate of play we will be having to build another wing on the prison.

Send some of the buggers back to UK, why are we keeping UK scumbags here.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
49 minutes ago, Banker said:

Not sentencing but seems completely OTT to send out armed officers to arrest a juvenile girl who used a knife 

https://www.three.fm/news/isle-of-man-news/douglas-knife-fight-ends-with-one-child-injured-another-arrested-by-armed-police/

I don’t think that’s OTT, the ( alleged) perp had a weapon which she had used, juvenile girl or not. There  doesn't appear to be any suggestion that the police used their arms inappropriately.

Would it have been OTT if the knife wielding person was an adult male?

• Like 1