Climate Change Progress Report

Moghrey Mie

8 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I also forgot to mention that concrete doesn't have any lime in it. All the lime is consumed in the process. I was saving that fact but can't be arsed any more.

Actually there's evidence that ancient Roman concrete did/does have small lime clasts in it and this contributes to its longevity.  Doesn't mean it pollutes anything though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

Maybe they had not perfected the process as we have now. 👍

If you read the link, you'll see that's what they used to think, but have since discovered the inclusions make the concrete self-healing, particularly against water ingress.  Which is why there's still a lot of Roman concrete still around.

18 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

If you read the link, you'll see that's what they used to think, but have since discovered the inclusions make the concrete self-healing, particularly against water ingress.  Which is why there's still a lot of Roman concrete still around.

That's very interesting. Slightly off topic but me being a bit sad still interesting. I'll read the link tomorrow. 

6 hours ago, Happier diner said:

I didn't miss biology class (well only a few😁)

Its worth considering this though. In the world of water and the wider environment, water is often collected in concrete conduits. It often goes into reservoirs that are concrete dams. To water works that are made of concrete and into storage reservoirs......yes...made of concrete. The water that we have used invariable runs through concrete sewer pipes into sewage works that are also concrete structures and then through concrete sewers into Rivers which run in concrete channels and into the sea. Concrete is in every aspect of out lives and our built environment.

Despite this we have survived OK up to now. Not a burnt lip in sight

Yes, but in most of those cases, such as reservoirs and drinking water, you don’t want living things, or at least to minimise them.

@NoTail correct, bug how old is the breakwater! As I said earlier, it does recover, but not quickly. Where brother lives, about 40 years ago, his waterfront condo was built. 30 years ago, there was virtually no sealife. 20 years ago, there was seaweed anda few fish. 5 years ago, the large fish had returned. I even saw s turtle (not the type you see in the sea around here). That was just a small development of a 100 metres of dock and 100 or so condos. 

@The Phantom See above.

23 hours ago, Cambon said:

Yes, but in most of those cases, such as reservoirs and drinking water, you don’t want living things, or at least to minimise them.

@NoTail correct, bug how old is the breakwater! As I said earlier, it does recover, but not quickly. Where brother lives, about 40 years ago, his waterfront condo was built. 30 years ago, there was virtually no sealife. 20 years ago, there was seaweed anda few fish. 5 years ago, the large fish had returned. I even saw s turtle (not the type you see in the sea around here). That was just a small development of a 100 metres of dock and 100 or so condos. 

@The Phantom See above.

What about the fish farms and hatcherys that use concrete tanks? Makes you wonder how the fish have cheated death all these years. 

Chris Thomas MHK is asking questions as to the new Energy Policy Board, comprising of Ministers and MUA. I can’t understand what the hell is going on, when especially a great play was made on establishing the Climate Change Transformation Board chaired by Daffy. Or is the new Energy Policy Board competing with the Climate Change Transformation Board? It’s more bureaucracy and attention seeking grandstanding headline grabbing, instead of coming up with solution to everyday problems. Whilst Chris Thomas has a point, he is both using a sledge hammer to crack a nut, and he is like other MHKs out to point score, when sadly they can even score, with an open goal. 

On 10/29/2023 at 10:01 AM, 2112 said:

Chris Thomas MHK is asking questions as to the new Energy Policy Board, comprising of Ministers and MUA. I can’t understand what the hell is going on, when especially a great play was made on establishing the Climate Change Transformation Board chaired by Daffy. Or is the new Energy Policy Board competing with the Climate Change Transformation Board? It’s more bureaucracy and attention seeking grandstanding headline grabbing, instead of coming up with solution to everyday problems. Whilst Chris Thomas has a point, he is both using a sledge hammer to crack a nut, and he is like other MHKs out to point score, when sadly they can even score, with an open goal. 

And there is already an Energy Policy Team within DEFA. So it's triplication of effort.

https://www.gov.im/about-the-government/departments/environment-food-and-agriculture/environment-directorate/energy-policy-team/

Edited by Moghrey Mie

On 10/26/2023 at 6:48 PM, Roger Mexico said:

On 10/26/2023 at 7:07 PM, Happier diner said:

That's very interesting. Slightly off topic but me being a bit sad still interesting. I'll read the link tomorrow. 

Randomly I watched a docu (I think on Youtube) about this a few weeks ago.  Arguably it was better than the concrete we currently use.  It was effectively self healing.  Lasts an eternity in seawater and didn't require reinforcement. 

I think it was this... 

• Thanks 2