Chamber of Commerce detached from reality

BriT

I can’t believe this is serious advice and it’s more akin to Norman Tebbit’s classic advice to “Get on your bike and find work” in the 1980s

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/people-encouraged-to-take-second-jobs-in-retail-and-hospitality/

If you’re a bit skint get yourself a job working until 11:00PM in hospitality to help out! 

• Like 3

From the article -"There is a misconception that taking a second job will incur excessive tax, however, this is usually down to your current tax code not being recalculated." Surely that's not right. 

More pay, more tax.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Apple said:

From the article -"There is a misconception that taking a second job will incur excessive tax, however, this is usually down to your current tax code not being recalculated." Surely that's not right. 

More pay, more tax.

Its because 2nd jobs are taxed at 20% from zero as standard. So someone works 3 nights in a bar for some extra cash at £10/hr only takes home 8. "Just get your tax code changed" is the answer given by dickheads, who don't understand that you might only be doing it in the run up to christmas, or to save for a summer holiday, and you quite like having your tax code correct for your regular salaried job thanks very much. Of course, when you work a second job on 0SB (or whatever the tax code is now) you always end up over paying tax, and you will always get a rebate. But that's 18 months away, and the reason you're working the 2nd job is you need that cash right now. 

You cannot explain this to people who have never lived it, they will not understand it, on purpose.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

I should add though, that it is always better to get a rebate than a bill, and that if you can afford it and do it right it can actually be pretty beneficial when that thousand pound cheque comes through your door*. It's just nasty at the time seeing such a chunk of the extra cash you are trying to earn disappear each week.

*Its been a while since I did this, now it would just hit your bank account.

• Like 1

The CoC is an organisation of employers, anyone who thinks that they are looking out for the interests of anyone other than their members is deluded. Of course they will recommend that people take a second job to plug the labour gap, what would you expect them to say? It's up to the individual to make sure that it's in their interest, and the employer to make sure it's worthwhile!   

• Like 2

There are thousands of businesses on the Island and very few belong to the COC in fact someone told me, and this is just bus chat, that they have under a hundred members.    All the members are from the big firms and they call the tune.   I do not know if this is correct and I would love it if someone could confirm or deny this, but it seems to me if this is the case too much importance is being put on their views and they have too much influence.    The Government seem to hold them in undeserved esteem and take their views as the opinion of all Island based businesses when in reality most business people would not give them the time of day.    

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

18 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

There are thousands of businesses on the Island and very few belong to the COC in fact someone told me, and this is just bus chat, that they have under a hundred members.    All the members are from the big firms and they call the tune.   I do not know if this is correct and I would love it if someone could confirm or deny this, but it seems to me if this is the case too much importance is being put on their views and they have too much influence.    The Government seem to hold them in undeserved esteem and take their views as the opinion of all Island based businesses when in reality most business people would not give them the time of day.    

We were a member of the CoC for years, I can't say that there was much benefit other than a bit of networking. They do represent several sectors and there is no bar to membership no matter what size business, so they are bound to have the ear of government. 

This muttering and calling them down is a bit silly really, if you want a voice then join some sort of confederation which will give you that voice, that's all the role of the CoC is fulfilling in any town (or city) around the world. It's not a Manx thing! 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Blackajah said:

Absolute wank of the highest calibre - only to be expected from the Chamber of Cronyism I suppose.   Also disgusted with the NPM (another surprise there) for displaying it on their webshite.   

Actually it's a decent bit of reporting from Manx Radio - including the vox pops for once.  Rather than a few short sentences and a tiny soundclip, they've got various sides of the story and covered it at length.  Just because you think some views are nonsense, doesn't they're not newsworthy.  Indeed if those views may be influential anyway, all the more reason for exposing them.

There's the usual CoC demand that (effectively) the government should give them money so they can continue paying their workers less.  But the vox pops show that the people they really want to do the second jobs already have one and are sick of working all hours so they can keep their landlords in luxury.  Some of this is demographics - there just aren't enough people in their 20s to start with.  And the worse life they feel they are having here, the more likely they are to leave.  And such conditions make it more difficult to attract people from outside.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, BriT said:

I can’t believe this is serious advice and it’s more akin to Norman Tebbit’s classic advice to “Get on your bike and find work” in the 1980s

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/people-encouraged-to-take-second-jobs-in-retail-and-hospitality/

If you’re a bit skint get yourself a job working until 11:00PM in hospitality to help out! 

Maybe if they paid people more then they might have people more willing to take up jobs in hospitality and retail...

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

Maybe if they paid people more then they might have people more willing to take up jobs in hospitality and retail...

Well it’s a bit rich coming from the CoC to try to line up slave labour for their hospitality members I’d agree. Do they want to be employing anyone in a day job that’s had about 6 hours sleep and no down time in their own businesses as part of their main employment. They’re certainly buying into the Brexit Britain concept though. Creating a desperate low paid work force desperate for anything to pay their bills with. 

• Like 2