Drag Acts in the Guild - official

Manx Bean

7 minutes ago, HeliX said:

It is possible to care about more than one thing at a time, you know?

In truth, they are notdifferent things, just a general thing to understand others. Being empathetic is not snowflake. (Checking the reference there)

Edited by Gladys
  • Like 1

All lives matter, all the time. No one life or group of lives trumps any other

However some groups feel that the rest of the world, or some of the world, treats them as if their lives don’t matter. I for one think that’s justified by their lived experience. It’s certainly mine.

The largest group is undoubtedly the BAME grouping, based on skin colour, but it could be Irish, Roma, LGBTQIA+, Disability, anything.

There is still a reservoir of anti immigrant, anti black, anti trans, and anti LGBT, anti women, in the world at large, even in the IoM. Only need to look at the right wing fascist leaflet delivered to some homes here recently.

It’s not being woke to be open, inclusive, friendly and inclusive towards lives diverse from your own. It’s shouldn’t even be a question. It’s a simple question of respect.

So, if someone informs you to refer to them as he/his, she/hers, they/them/theirs, just get on with it. Costs nothing. Doesn’t hurt you. Makes them feel safer, included, respected.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, John Wright said:

All lives matter, all the time. No one life or group of lives trumps any other

However some groups feel that the rest of the world, or some of the world, treats them as if their lives don’t matter. I for one think that’s justified by their lived experience. It’s certainly mine.

The largest group is undoubtedly the BAME grouping, based on skin colour, but it could be Irish, Roma, LGBTQIA+, Disability, anything.

There is still a reservoir of anti immigrant, anti black, anti trans, and anti LGBT, anti women, in the world at large, even in the IoM. Only need to look at the right wing fascist leaflet delivered to some homes here recently.

It’s not being woke to be open, inclusive, friendly and inclusive towards lives diverse from your own. It’s shouldn’t even be a question. It’s a simple question of respect.

So, if someone informs you to refer to them as he/his, she/hers, they/them/theirs, just get on with it. Costs nothing. Doesn’t hurt you. Makes them feel safer, included, respected.

Agreed.

However, after a lifetime referring to people as he or she, him or her without giving it a second thought it is an ingrained behaviour which many will find difficult to change.

If those people make an error and slip up from time to tine they absolutely shouldn’t be made to feel bad.

Speaking personally I have no issue with anyone using whatever pronouns they want and I will always do my best to accommodate them.  I can’t guarantee I won’t sometimes get it wrong though.

Just now, Ativa said:

Agreed.

However, after a lifetime referring to people as he or she, him or her without giving it a second thought it is an ingrained behaviour which many will find difficult to change.

If those people make an error and slip up from time to tine they absolutely shouldn’t be made to feel bad.

Speaking personally I have no issue with anyone using whatever pronouns they want and I will always do my best to accommodate them.  I can’t guarantee I won’t sometimes get it wrong though.

That’s a given. But an apology goes a long way.

Ive a friend who I’ve known for 40 years. 10 years ago he transitioned  FtM. Took a while to get the new name and pronouns right every time.

11 minutes ago, John Wright said:

That’s a given. But an apology goes a long way.

Ive a friend who I’ve known for 40 years. 10 years ago he transitioned  FtM. Took a while to get the new name and pronouns right every time.

Of course. It’s appropriate to apologise if you do occasionally get the pronouns wrong. 
Say using “ his” instead of “ her”

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Ativa said:

Mistakes happen, that's normal. Most exchanges go 'sorry, it's not she, it's he' and that's the end of the matter.

It's when people do it intentionally that's frowned upon. Or digging up their former name.

4 hours ago, Ativa said:

My general experience is that people making slips of the tongue are not made to feel bad.

People doing it deliberately is totally different.

Same with names. Irrespective of one’s views on trans matters, if someone says their name (not pronoun) is X then it takes a special sort of whopper to then call them Y.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

I'll continue to use the traditional biological pronouns, thanks very much. That's my choice. I find these new ones dehumanising, degrading, dystopian, and a reminder of depersonalised slave terms from less enlightened times.

Ah, but how will you know you are using the correct "traditional biological pronouns"?  Obviously what you must do before actually speaking to anyone is demand a thoroughgoing examination of their external (and possibly internal) genitalia.  I'm sure this will be much simpler than discovering how they want to be addressed and have no repercussions at all.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Roger Mexico said:

Ah, but how will you know you are using the correct "traditional biological pronouns"?  Obviously what you must do before actually speaking to anyone is demand a thoroughgoing examination of their external (and possibly internal) genitalia.  I'm sure this will be much simpler than discovering how they want to be addressed and have no repercussions at all.

Well I've managed up to now and never had a problem. 

40 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

I'll continue to use the traditional biological pronouns, thanks very much. That's my choice. I find these new ones dehumanising, degrading, dystopian, and a reminder of depersonalised slave terms from less enlightened times.

But how will you know what they are? Just by the look of someone?

• Haha 1