DOI fails again

Two-lane

1 hour ago, SuperHans said:

I thought that was odd. Can anyone who pays to subscribe here close topics? I’m happy to subscribe if so. 

I was actually hoping to reply to the thread as I’ve nearly bought an abandoned car myself but on the subject of the car being removed, the lady says she was away for 6 months as isn’t resident here and doesn’t have any alternative parking as their property is Peel, you’d think paying storage somewhere else and getting a taxi to the airport would be cheaper than paying fines? but this does suggest there needs to be a facility for a second address to be registered, especially given that a log book isn’t proof of ownership.

I was hoping to post in the thread before it was locked but who would be the legal owner in that instance?  it’s technically not taxed/insured as it was marked as needing re registered on auction so that sounds like another headache because the cherished reg will now be back into the system.

36 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

I was actually hoping to reply to the thread as I’ve nearly bought an abandoned car myself but on the subject of the car being removed, the lady says she was away for 6 months as isn’t resident here and doesn’t have any alternative parking as their property is Peel, you’d think paying storage somewhere else and getting a taxi to the airport would be cheaper than paying fines? but this does suggest there needs to be a facility for a second address to be registered, especially given that a log book isn’t proof of ownership.

I was hoping to post in the thread before it was locked but who would be the legal owner in that instance?  it’s technically not taxed/insured as it was marked as needing re registered on auction so that sounds like another headache because the cherished reg will now be back into the system.

Why's it for the Gov/DOI/whoever to work out? If you want to have a car but leave it abandoned for 6+ months it's up to you to make suitable arrangements surely. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

No, where they have taken it but don’t have the log book or the keys (they had neither in this case apparently) they’re sold at auction as de-registered. So needs to go back through Manx test and you need to get a new log book issued. As you say the reg number would have gone back on the stack (or maybe they thought they’d get £1500 for that separately). But as she says it’s her car. She has the log book and keys in her possession and it was taxed and insured by her until it disappeared. I can see whoever bought it getting their money back off Chrystal’s.

3 hours ago, Gizo said:

The non moderator who keeps telling everyone he’s not a moderator has decided upon himself to start locking topics.

Obviously he was the one who bought the car or knows far too much about it. and being a non moderator doesn’t want any sort of discussion on the subject. 
No doubt his upcoming court case will also be locked. 

Phone a lawyer, paranoia!

I assume it's because the subject was already being covered in another topic and a separate one would just confuse the issue and make people uncertain where to comment.  It used to be done quite a lot without objection, especially when there were only a few comments on the additional thread.

Edited by Roger Mexico
Typo and add a bit

what was wrong with the car owner emailing the information desk at the airport  after a few months  and letting them know  they were eventually coming back to retrieve the car and paying the outstanding parking charges ,

there are vehicles abandoned in all sorts of places   and I do know the department will have tried to contact the registered owner ,    some time ago there were several cars abandoned on the promenade , owners gone back to eastern Europe for good , couldn't be bothered to let the DOI know ,and tied people up for ages  trying to trace them ,  DOI are no angels but the system works both ways !

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Annoymouse said:

She should have parked in Kerroo Coar and rang Terry's Taxies. There are several abandoned cars parked there with out-of-date tax discs and flat tires. One had a fixed penalty notice stuck to the windscreen for so long that it pretty much disintegrated and blew away. It's been there since before covid.

Her car would have fitted right in and been safe. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Thought I had already posted this but, would she expect to leave a car at any UK airport without anything happening? 

Can't get too excited about it really, providing it was seized and sold within their powers. 

No one would abandon a car at a UK airport unless they were multi millionaires. People only do dumb stuff like she did when they think they will get away with it. I am sure if she had rung she would have been treated sympathetically. Can't say the same about a UK airport. 

This will no doubt end up as a other load of bollocks.  Not the registered owner, non-resident thinking they could just leave the car where it was without contacting/communicating with anyone for months.  I’m sure the correct processes will have been followed leading to the disposal of the vehicle.  Very surprised at IOM TV making so much of this particular issue too.

5 minutes ago, tuono said:

This will no doubt end up as a other load of bollocks.  Not the registered owner, non-resident thinking they could just leave the car where it was without contacting/communicating with anyone for months.  I’m sure the correct processes will have been followed leading to the disposal of the vehicle.  Very surprised at IOM TV making so much of this particular issue too.

I would have made an issue of it if it had been my car. 
Think 🤔 there will be more to this situation.