What song would you like to be played at your funeral?

14 minutes ago, Malik said:

Nope, she is deranged and I have never been locked up anywhere. I won’t bother asking if you are/have.

Cheeky twat. Unlike you, my spirit is free and not clouded by falsity and subjugation to religious cults. For that's what they all are and you've fallen for it.

Rapture. My fucking arse... 

Well, I went to my aunt’s memorial last weekend. I hope it’s the last time I’m in a church. It was a very nice church, octagonal flint tower, thatched nave and chancel, bits of Saxon, Norman and early Middle Ages, with spectacular c15 stained glass. Grade 1 listed.

Apart from my sister, niece and great nephew ( aged 3 ) I was the youngest there.

Both the preachers were in late 70’s. The organist was tone deaf, the hymn singing was challenging. I’m used, if that’s the word, 53+ years after I ceased Sunday school attendance, to the Methodist Hymnal and associated tunes. I’ve passing acquaintance with Hymns Ancient & Modern.

This was some modern day imposter, with songs from the 60’s folk mass era, that don’t scan and the music for which is non rhythmical.

They even changed the wording of the apostles creed and the Lord’s Prayer. Marginal, but again, it changed cadence and rhythm.

We’d carefully agreed, between us, a eulogy to be read. However an ancient local lady insisted on delivering her own 10 minute ramble. It was only 09.30, but I’m sure she’d been on the pop. She wasn’t talking about anyone I knew, not the woman I’d known, and remember, for over 65 years, and visited often.

It was thoroughly depressing. But allowed her local friends to say goodbye. Last time I was in the church was 20 years ago for my uncle’s funeral the congregation was 150+. The WI catered in the village hall. This time, 30, and the WI has been disbanded. Almost everyone they’d known had died.

Im glad it’s over. I’m glad I’ll never have to go to Norwich again. 7 hours from Liverpool on Friday in torrential rain with roadworks and accidents. 6 hours back on Monday. I like Norwich. But it’s on the route to nowhere.

We had an amazing vegan Indian meal at Namaste Village.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I suppose that the one thing I’d appreciate those attending playing would be  this.

However there are other things

Jimmy Somerville “Where have all the flowers gone”. Although the version sung by Ute Lemper is equally good, and Marlene Dietrich version is also excellent.

Tchaikovsky “Swan Lake Overture” 

Communards and Sarah Jane Morris “Don’t Leave me this Way”

Sarah Jane Morris either “Me & Mrs Jones” or “The Rains Have Failed Again”

Bizet “Pearl Fishers Duet”

Offenbach’s “Barcarole”

Lotte Lenys “Mack the Knife” “Pirate Jenny” or “September Song”