What song would you like to be played at your funeral?

14 hours ago, John Wright said:

I don’t want a funeral. An unattended simple cremation will suffice. If my family and friends want a later event to celebrate and reflect, fine. Their event, they can choose what, when, how and the music, if any. I shan’t be there.

I get what you’re saying.

But I had a christening when I didn’t have a clue what was going on ( It wasn’t for me it was for those attending)

But that Christening wasn’t a private event to be celebrated (by friends and family of parents) at a later event.

Nor my marriages.

OK the difference is that you won’t be there. But your nearest and dearest will be. A funeral gets them to be together at the time of the event ( significant to them).

They have to have a good excuse to not be at my funeral. Having a later “ celebration of his life” is rubbish, (why not celebrate it at the time of your cremation or burial).It gives them time to come up with some weedy excuse. During your lifetime you’ve probably done enough for them so they should make the effort as you would do for them.

Anyway the number of times I have said to my friends “ you’ve got to listen to this track by this great band” and they have politely declined.Well at my funeral they won’t have a choice

But I guess you do run the risk of Hi Vibes turning up uninvited to your funeral after party, demanding jelly and ice cream.

Edited by The Voice of Reason
Last paragraph addition

1 hour ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Yes.

Not surprised you haven’t though 

Why would anyone invite someone to a funeral? 'bit grasping / totally weird. I only turn up to funerals of people that matter, I just wondering if you had a date in mind, obviously not so why start talking it up?

9 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I get what you’re saying.

But I had a christening when I didn’t have a clue what was going on ( It wasn’t for me it was for those attending)

But that Christening wasn’t a private event to be celebrated (by friends and family of parents) at a later event.

Nor my marriages.

OK the difference is that you won’t be there. But your nearest and dearest will be. A funeral gets them to be together at the time of the event ( significant to them).

They have to have a good excuse to not be at my funeral. Having a later “ celebration of his life” is rubbish, (why not celebrate it at the time of your cremation or burial).It gives them time to come up with some weedy excuse. During your lifetime you’ve probably done enough for them so they should make the effort as you would do for them.

Anyway the number of times I have said to my friends “ you’ve got to listen to this track by this great band” and they have politely declined.Well at my funeral they won’t have a choice

But I guess you do run the risk of Hi Vibes turning up uninvited to your funeral after party, demanding jelly and ice cream.

It’s my preference. It was my fathers preference, and what we did. My aunt died 30 April. It’s what we are doing for her.  Her local community, rural, mainly old, wanted a memorial at the end of a local Sunday service. Only happens once a month.

I’ve been to enough funerals to recognise the cant and hypocrisy. 

Just stick me in the grave my wife bought nearly 40 years ago when she was a student nurse. Well not that one, because they buried someone else in it by mistake, but the one they swapped it for. I was dragged up a catholic altar boy and I've been a happy atheist for many years now so the whole church thing would seemshypocritical. Would rather they spent the money on some food and drink as I'll be dead, but I won't know anything about it.    

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Old Git said:

Just stick me in the grave my wife bought nearly 40 years ago when she was a student nurse. Well not that one, because they buried someone else in it by mistake, but the one they swapped it for. I was dragged up a catholic altar boy and I've been a happy atheist for many years now so the whole church thing would seemshypocritical. Would rather they spent the money on some food and drink as I'll be dead, but I won't know anything about it.    

Christ. Imagine meeting a girl, taking her out on a date and she tells you she's bought a grave for you. There's forward planning, and there's just plain weird.

5 hours ago, The Old Git said:

Don't you worry about that. It's all taken care of. She ordered the food and drink when she bought you the hole.

On 6/23/2023 at 10:50 PM, Declan said:

Probably, Do You Realise?

Unless my funeral is in December 

Presumably for that one line.

Yoshimi is a better song, more uplifting for a funeral too - possibly more appropriate too.

If I ever get around to making a will, I think my only request will be that I arrive late for the service, so as not to disappoint the many people who have been predicting it for years. 

On 6/25/2023 at 7:37 AM, John Wright said:

It’s my preference. It was my fathers preference, and what we did. My aunt died 30 April. It’s what we are doing for her.  Her local community, rural, mainly old, wanted a memorial at the end of a local Sunday service. Only happens once a month.

I’ve been to enough funerals to recognise the cant and hypocrisy. 

I quite agree. Funerals are a horrible experience, not the way it should be at all. Just a big piss up with a free bar would do me, while the undertakers etc. deal with the practicalities. The Irish do this well, they say an Irish funeral is more fun than an English wedding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AT6MVLmyvdA

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Malik said:

I haven’t made any arrangements for my funeral and hope to be raptured in a few years time. There will be chaos, absolute chaos on earth when that takes place.

You are Lori Vallow Daybell and I claim my 5 souls. Including yours...