Chris Thomas MHK sacked from DOI

53 minutes ago, Johnny F said:

I worked offshore in the oil and gas industry for 15 years, the last few spent actually drilling gas wells in Sharja UAE, in a joint venture between the Sharjan (government) and BP. In an area already known for its vast reserves of gas we struggled and the budget for three wells was spent on the first well ! This is the sort of thing that can happen whilst drilling "wildcat" wells. The potential to rapidly lose money speculating is extremely high.

The most important thing the Manx government could do in this situation with Crogga is to insist they always have enough money in reserve to pay for the clean up operation if it all goes tits up, otherwise the Manx taxpayer will have to foot the potentially enormous bill.

The gold standard in modern times is a 3D seismic survey, this is not 1x better than a 2D survey it is light years ahead and costs a fortune. A 3D survey is not essential but not having one shows you are either supremely confident about what's down there OR you have another reason, I suspect that Crogga can't afford it. If Crogga can't get enough money together to do a 3D survey then I severely doubt they will have enough money in reserve to pay for a clean up if the well turns out to be a duster! It looks like a cheapskate amateur operation to me.  But what do I know. 

Oh and while I'm ranting lets not forget the potential for some kind of catastrophic disaster off our coast, Piper Alpha, and Deepwater Horizon happened just before and during my time offshore. 

You will not be popular on here. Everyone wants to blame the government for everything. 

I have said all along we should not trust this two bit organisation.........or Crogga. 😁

Edited by Happier diner
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, NoTailT said:

I think ultimately Alf knows there's a shit show in government and its coffers. This presents a potential massive contributor to the economy, so it needs at least exploring.

If these motives are indeed true, it smacks of a big gamble.

Sacking a Minister who has been trying to observe procedures and rules on the subject, in favour of trying to personally railroad through an application by disregarding same procedures strikes me as being somewhat driven by panic and might well be a pointer towards the state of Govt finances. If it was any other industry, would the same approach to the regulations be tolerated?

Are you betting the farm here, Alf? And what are you going to do if this all goes tits up, either financially or environmentally?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I had wondered what the standard procedure was for shutting down and cleaning up if a drilling operation failed. For instance, is it typical for a sum of money to cover decommissioning costs to be deposited before a drilling operation begins?

Clearly shutting down an offshore operation will be far more costly than an on-shore operation.

The worst case would be that the first well is found to be not viable, and Crogga disappears off somewhere. The well would need to be capped (from knowledge gained by watching Hollywood films), and perhaps the drilling rig is end-of-life and no one wants it - and then all clean-up costs might fall to the IoM taxpayer.

Is this covered in whatever contract Crogga has with the gov.?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Sacking a Minister who has been trying to observe procedures and rules on the subject, in favour of trying to personally railroad through an application by disregarding same procedures strikes me as being somewhat driven by panic and might well be a pointer towards the state of Govt finances. If it was any other industry, would the same approach to the regulations be tolerated?

It's not just that.  By taking over the role so he can make the decision himself, Cannan may have disqualified himself from doing that very thing.  Ministers are supposed to make decisions after considering all the evidence and so on.  Cannan's actions may mean that he's already made his mind up and so is unable to make such a decision.  Especially if it's against expert opinion that has specifically been sought on the topic.  At the very least you could see petitions of doleance flying about.

1 hour ago, Johnny F said:

I worked offshore in the oil and gas industry for 15 years, the last few spent actually drilling gas wells in Sharja UAE, in a joint venture between the Sharjan (government) and BP. In an area already known for its vast reserves of gas we struggled and the budget for three wells was spent on the first well ! This is the sort of thing that can happen whilst drilling "wildcat" wells. The potential to rapidly lose money speculating is extremely high.

The most important thing the Manx government could do in this situation with Crogga is to insist they always have enough money in reserve to pay for the clean up operation if it all goes tits up, otherwise the Manx taxpayer will have to foot the potentially enormous bill.

The gold standard in modern times is a 3D seismic survey, this is not 1x better than a 2D survey it is light years ahead and costs a fortune. A 3D survey is not essential but not having one shows you are either supremely confident about what's down there OR you have another reason, I suspect that Crogga can't afford it. If Crogga can't get enough money together to do a 3D survey then I severely doubt they will have enough money in reserve to pay for a clean up if the well turns out to be a duster! It looks like a cheapskate amateur operation to me.  But what do I know. 

Oh and while I'm ranting lets not forget the potential for some kind of catastrophic disaster off our coast, Piper Alpha, and Deepwater Horizon happened just before and during my time offshore. 

Thanks for your input into this debate! 

They are extremely confident about what's down there, the previously drilled well in '82 being inadvertently drilled on a fault.

The detailed data and analysis they have done has convinced someone enough to conditionally put up around $50m of financing, which would cover the cost of the test well and any well plugging /decommissioning costs if it was a duster.

If you're putting up $50m, you sure as hell have done your due diligence!

This must surely be in the licence agreement or a condition of the drill permit. 

Essentially crogga are exploration company, and it is reasonable for them to not incur unnecessary costs. Doesn't make them cheapskate and amateur, or do you dismiss the credentials of Richard Hubbard and Eric Everson? 

I believe they've contracted with internationally respected well Operations/managers that have contracts with the likes of Shell....

But I freely admit to having no experience in the field!

Edited by b4mbi

I think Alf has visions of breaking this department up and wants to oversee it . I don’t think he has an option, who in the present line up of contenders would you suggest would be capable of taking over the DOI in its present form?   Answers on the back of a postage stamp please.      Chris Thomas was a dire choice he must have been desperate to appoint him,  a boss is as good as his workforce and he is on a losing wicket with what he has at his disposal.