EV Island Issues

Max Power

I wonder what Daffy, Professor Currant Bun, Professor Ashford and the other eco loons have to say, regarding insurance for electric vehicles. I suppose another side of the argument is by those eco loons, if you can afford an electric vehicle, you should be able to afford the insurance. Some would be rubbing their hands at those who can’t afford, as they are being priced off the road, so less vehicles, be it petrol/diesel/hybrid and electric. 

• Like 1

On 10/11/2023 at 11:12 AM, Zarley said:

The heightened concern over EV fires is due to them being much, much more difficult to extinguish than ICE fires. It's a valid concern. 

Your are right;  it's most certainly a concern l have at the moment.  I'm considering changing my 7-year-old ECO car to an EV as think about the future, but several things are putting me off: catching fire, increasing buying costs, and insurance costs.

Edited by Lilly
Added space and word buying
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Lilly said:

Your are right;  it's most certainly a concern l have at themoment.  I'm considering changing my 7-year-old ECO car to an EV as think about the future, but several things are putting me off: catching fire, increasing costs, and insurance costs.

With the costs and admin associated with repair, I would only buy a new one to have some peace of mind under the warranty.  Or a nearly new one with warranty remaining. 

• Like 1

Today's Telegraph

Let’s put the EV revolution into reverse gear before someone gets hurt

What the blazes is going on? We are familiar with the stand-up rows caused by a chronic lack of charging points for electric vehicles (EVs) but, so far, there has been remarkably little debate about their safety. Manufacturers deny that EVs have an unfortunate tendency to burst into flames, but fire brigades across the world beg to differ. They have taken to producing an amusing annual calendar with a different Tesla in flames for each month of the year.

In the past couple of years, two huge ships carrying thousands of cars have gone up in flames apparently because of battery electric vehicles. A fire on board car carrier Felicity Ace in February 2022 led to the vessel sinking in the Atlantic, along with its cargo of 4,000 vehicles. Lithium-ion (Li-ion) batteries were cited as a factor in keeping the fire ablaze.

More recently, the Fremantle Highway caught fire off the Netherlands. It was alleged that batteries in EVs onboard had overheated. During the salvage operation, all the cars were washed to remove any chemicals from the fire before they came off the ship. One charred vehicle, in which the fire appeared to be extinguished, actually reignited as it was lowered into the water. Investigators were quick to say: “No fire onboard a ro-ro [roll on/roll off] or PCTC [pure car and truck carrier] has been proven to have been caused by a factory-new EV.”

It was the same nothing-to-see-here story with the towering inferno this month at Luton airport. At least 125 flights were cancelled after a huge fire, which started on level three of the airport’s multi-storey car park, caused the entire £20 million structure to collapse. Up to 1,500 vehicles are unlikely to be salvageable. A huge deal, you might think, but, once again, the conflagration has been tamped down. Authorities said the blaze “appeared to have been accidental and began in a parked car, believed to be a diesel vehicle”.

Well, not according to one witness who managed to snap a picture of the vehicle that was suspected of causing the fire, which looked very like a Range Rover Evoque. There was none of the thick black smoke you would expect with a diesel fire. Instead, the blaze was focused on the front left seat of the car under which – well, I never! – the lithium-ion battery happens to be located in some hybrid Range Rovers.

Such fires can be fatal. An e-bike left charging is believed to have caused the house fire that tore through a maisonette in Cambridge over the summer, killing a mother and her two young children. The London Fire Brigade has warned that e-bike fires are up 60 per cent this year. Firefighters have been called to an e-scooter or e-bike fire every two days this year. At least 12 people have died and a further 190 have been injured in suspected e-bike and e-scooter blazes in the UK since 2020.

They say there is no smoke without fire, but vested interests are creating as much smoke as possible to obscure the cause of these fires, I reckon. Why? Well, meeting the notably insane and economically disastrous net zero target by 2050 is predicated on the UK giving up fossil fuels. Rishi Sunak recently pushed the ban on new petrol and diesel cars back to 2035, but even meeting that will require a huge number of us to switch to battery electric vehicles powered by lithium-ion batteries. What if those dense concentrations of electrochemical energy and lithium are prone to catching fire unexpectedly or exploding and the ensuing inferno is very hard to put out? To maintain the momentum in decarbonising transport, I would guess it’s rather convenient if that question doesn’t get answered.

Imagine if an EV were to self-combust in the Channel Tunnel, in an underground car park or in the garage next to your house. It would be disastrous, so where is the official investigation into the safety of these vehicles? Silence.

What a fiasco the whole electric car thing has become. Time to go into reverse gear, don’t you think?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6

Just now, The Phantom said:

With the costs and admin associated with repair, I would only buy a new one to have some peace of mind under the warranty.  Or a nearly new one with warranty remaining. 

Yes, that makes good sense, but some new ones seemed to have a really hefty price.

3 minutes ago, Lilly said:

Yes, that makes good sense, but some new ones seemed to have a really hefty price.

Unfortunately that's the reality.  They seem to hold their price quite well for the first few years at least too.  Then plummet (when stuff starts breaking and they're probably out of warranty). 

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, emesde said:

Insurance shock for EV motorists as premiums rise 150%

With car insurance being a legal requirement with fairly severe penalties for those without it, this is an area where government needs to act. They've been hiking premiums for normal cars too according to the press (although my recent renewal was the same as last year). For something that people have to have, politicians can't just shrug, say that's the market, that's the risk, they've got to go to work and sort it out. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, TheTeapot said:

With car insurance being a legal requirement with fairly severe penalties for those without it, this is an area where government needs to act. They've been hiking premiums for normal cars too according to the press (although my recent renewal was the same as last year). For something that people have to have, politicians can't just shrug, say that's the market, that's the risk, they've got to go to work and sort it out. 

Issue with normal cars is when need repairs cost of parts increased, staff costs increase, rental of Curtosy cars increased. 

then to add the issues of shipping damaged EV off island sends their costs even higher. 

4 minutes ago, Manxman1234 said:

Issue with normal cars is when need repairs cost of parts increased, staff costs increase, rental of Curtosy cars increased. 

then to add the issues of shipping damaged EV off island sends their costs even higher. 

You have given the answer of a politician who cannot be bothered doing any work.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Manxman1234 said:

I have noticed this year that my car servicing, repairs, and renewables have increased considerably, hence my thinking about switching to EVs to reduce long-term costs.

16 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Unfortunately that's the reality.  They seem to hold their price quite well for the first few years at least too.  Then plummet (when stuff starts breaking and they're probably out of warranty). 

Unfortunately they don't hold their value at all any more, some dealers will not take used EVs into stock at PX time, and get them underwritten elsewhere. 

Manufacturers and dealers are pushing hard to get rid of their stocks and anyone who really wants one can negotiate a great deal.