Are the supermarkets taking us for a ride ?

Fred the shred

6 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Screenshot_20230921-131534_Facebook.jpg

We may all laugh, but in the past, we may not have cared about the price of groceries.  That's changing. The conversation one has in the supermarket queue is about the raising cost of the shopping in our trolleys.  I can see its not everyone's problem; some are cushioned by wealth.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Is it changing? Or are we just better informed of the rise in inflation?

If you turned your TV off at 10 would you be less informed of inflation?, less likely to 'quelle horeur', what is going on???

There has always been inflation, it keeps our wages up to date, media can over inform us of the effect, egged on by the media because that appeals to us who wish to listen or only6 listen to the media?

That's not to say that times are not hard, that prices are not rising exponentially to wages but to say that 20 yrs ago we would not have realised things were so bad without today's media information.

I'm a late fourties child, we saw inflation at 13% and yet here I am living and brrrreeathinggggg ahhhgggg gasp!!!!!!!!!

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Cambon said:

Although you are correct in theory, at the end of the day, prices will settle based on demand. So, it is possible that the £1.37 price may return. 

Well, sure, I guess it is not impossible to have about -15% inflation (that is, minus fifteen percent) but it is certainly very unlikely in anything short of another great depression.

19 minutes ago, Kopek said:

There has always been inflation, it keeps our wages up to date

Not without a losing battle for most. Locally, with the exception of an "inflation-busting" rise for Govt workers in 2016 (?), when was the last time that there was a rise equal to inflation for the vast majority?

Edited by Non-Believer
Extra bit
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Is it changing? Or are we just better informed of the rise in inflation?

If you turned your TV off at 10 would you be less informed of inflation?, less likely to 'quelle horeur', what is going on???

There has always been inflation, it keeps our wages up to date, media can over inform us of the effect, egged on by the media because that appeals to us who wish to listen or only6 listen to the media?

That's not to say that times are not hard, that prices are not rising exponentially to wages but to say that 20 yrs ago we would not have realised things were so bad without today's media information.

I'm a late fourties child, we saw inflation at 13% and yet here I am living and brrrreeathinggggg ahhhgggg gasp!!!!!!!!!

Things changing!  Yes, you are correct; l didn't explain that well.  I'm also guilty of listening to BBC news every morning.  

As a young child in the early sixties, my mother insisted on me adding up the total of each item of shopping she purchased;  I still add shopping up in my head as l go along, hence, l noticed every increase in my weekly grocery bill.

26 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Yeah but \i earn more than my Mom and Dad did, did that come to a complete stop sometime in the 50s????

No, but for far too many payrises stopped (with a few exceptions) matching inflation in the mid-eighties and early 90s. Those who had unions fighting their corner did better than others but overall most people have seen a fall in their standards compared to what they might have expected in that time since. This is why you see claims of a 20%+ reduction in real terms wages in contemporary disputes. It's what has been lost over the years and attempts to make it up invite accusations of being greedy.

Oddly enough though, we seem to be happy to throw huge, inflation-busting sums at politicians and those at the top of the finance industries in particular but of course they're making the nation's wealth.....

Edited by Non-Believer
Fat fingers

7 hours ago, Kopek said:

Ah bless Lily! Do you think that the current social media  crowd have your insight into inflation or their media led  understanding???

Oops, sorry, l didn't answer your question fully; the latter definitely, but l think it may depend age.  My daughter tells me she belongs to an online  social IOM group mostly for parents with schoolchildren, not Facebook.  It is full of very real worries about raising prices, mostly mortgages and rents, food, fuel, heating costs and service repair costs.

I think maybe our politicians are wise to start listening.

Edited by Lilly
Added clarification
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

far too many payrises stopped (with a few exceptions) matching inflation in the mid-eighties and early 90s. Those who had unions fighting their corner did better than others but overall most people have seen a fall in their standards compared to what they might hav

Yes Unions have helped but that is their purpose!!! in general terms we are better off than out parents, the  inflation comparisons are a recent informative adjunct to the overall feeling of 'keeping up with inflation', that is, in the 60s we didn't know of such comparisons, we thought, rightly or wrongly, we were doing OK???

\\\\\\\\\i'm simply tying to differentiate  between , 'what we feel' and what we are led to believe that ' we should feel' by social media!!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Yes Unions have helped but that is their purpose!!! in general terms we are better off than out parents, the  inflation comparisons are a recent informative adjunct to the overall feeling of 'keeping up with inflation', that is, in the 60s we didn't know of such comparisons, we thought, rightly or wrongly, we were doing OK???

\\\\\\\\\i'm simply tying to differentiate  between , 'what we feel' and what we are led to believe that ' we should feel' by social media!!!!

We are better off than our parents; but are we as well off as we "should be" ? A great many economists and those in the lower economic echelons would say no.

• Like 1

On 9/22/2023 at 8:38 AM, Derek Flint said:

I ran into an old chum on the inward ward boat yesterday who had dropped his son at Uni..did a big shop at the Aldi on the way back. Ridiculously lower cost than on island.

Shipping costs need sorting out - for pax and freight. Not sure what is going on with Manxman. There has to be something fundamentally wrong for it not to have been on the Heysham route yesterday.

I'm wondering if they've under-.specced the thrusters or something?

My all time shocker ,during the cost of greed crisis,is in a Waitrose 10 miles away ,it was £4.50 for 3 slices of pre packed corned beef. Also Asda,is a ripoff,and their prices are often higher when scanned,Never lower.This has been going on for years,although  the new owners get blamed for trying to  cover the huge amount borrowed, to take over from Walmart.Iceland supermarkets now, has Marks and Spencer prices without the quality.I Always like going to Shoprite's when over,nice quality goods,spacious shops and good till experiences if a pound or two dearer than shops across.