Are the supermarkets taking us for a ride ?

Fred the shred

We are told that inflation has leveled out apparently no one seems to have informed the local supermarkets about this.   Week after week prices are still creeping up and not by small amounts either.    I have been buying the stores own brand products for a while now but even they are increasing.    Someone is making a lot of money and the public are suffering.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Fred the shred said:

We are told that inflation has leveled out apparently no one seems to have informed the local supermarkets about this.   Week after week prices are still creeping up and not by small amounts either.    I have been buying the stores own brand products for a while now but even they are increasing.    Someone is making a lot of money and the public are suffering.

The slowing down of what is still high by recent standards inflation was mainly driven this month by reduced hotel and air fares.

It was mentioned in all the reports.  Food is still rising.

Next pointless thread please.

Edited by CrazyDave
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Fred the shred said:

You do know inflation today was announced at 6.7% that means on average prices are up - wait for it… 6.7%

food inflation is still high and potentially will remain high as increase in wage costs filter into the production costs of food.

• Like 2

I've noticed that some items have fallen in price in my local Shoprite branch recently but certainly not anything like the amount they've risen in the past year. And they certainly weren't Heinz items.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fred the shred said:

Local as in Shopshite? Yeah, Manx to the Manx ……….. caring 😛 

Don’t expect any action or investigation from IOMG or Tynpotwald, they couldn’t care, understand or least of all, contribute any useful ideas to perhaps alleviate any suffering by people. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

I've noticed that some items have fallen in price in my local Shoprite branch recently but certainly not anything like the amount they've risen in the past year. And they certainly weren't Heinz items.

What items …………. reduced to clear?

9 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Don’t expect any action or investigation from IOMG or Tynpotwald, they couldn’t care, understand or least of all, contribute any useful ideas to perhaps alleviate any suffering by people. 

Action or investigations into what?  A private business trying to turn a profit?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Fred the shred said:

Have you learned nothing in the last few years. Once prices go up, they never, ever come down 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Passing Time said:

Have you learned nothing in the last few years. Once prices go up, they never, ever come down

Not even the last few years. The last time we had a period of prolonged deflation was in the early 1930s.

People really don’t seem to grasp that a) a “fall in inflation” means that prices are rising, just less quickly, and b) that inflation is compounded so this year’s rate is on top of last year’s rate.

5 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

“Our suppliers have put their prices up so we’ve had to put our prices up”. Investigation sorted, you can wire me my £20,000 fee at your convenience.

We have a body called the Office of Fair Trading (OFT) with a political member, a member being the operative word. I don’t expect miracles but when prices are increases are civil servants employed to look after the consumer(s) monitoring prices and if necessary speaking to the retailer, if only for an understanding as to why the price has risen - could there be a local/manx factor added on to the increase? It is freedom of choice in the end as to where consumers purchase from. In many cases they buy due to location and ease, and what they know, and some retailers take advantage of that fact. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, 2112 said:

WTF has it got to do with the government? What could they possibly do. Supermarkets can charge what they want, it's a competitive marketplace. If they charge too much folks go elsewhere.

• Like 2