Tesco buy all nine Shoprite supermarkets- Monopoly?

darenisepic

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

They will be jobs relevant to the management and day to day operations involved within running these supermarkets/retail outlets

What makes you say that? Shoprite stores already have managers reporting into head office. All that’s changed is that it’ll be a different head office.

There may be additional warehouse jobs, if they’re going to use the Pulrose warehouse to store and distribute to the existing superstore as well as the Shoprite stores. Things wil be delivered in cages,  already sorted at the source distribution centre with stuff for individual stores. There may be driver jobs for additional distribution.

Shoprite appears adequately staffed with shelf stackers and checkout operators.

So, where could the extra jobs actually be created?

I’m hoping that they’ll be able to set up collect by car on line shopping at, say, Victoria Road. That’ll take pressure off delivery slots. Perhaps they could allocate one of the Shoprite stores as a delivery hub. Perhaps having the Pulrose distribution warehouse will free up  sufficient ambient and chill storage space at Lake Road for collect by car or additional delivery slots.

That'll create jobs for pickers and delivery drivers.

Id be happy to do click & collect grocery shopping. I do it in Spain, I’m too far from the store for them to deliver.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, John Wright said:

What makes you say that? Shoprite stores already have managers reporting into head office. All that’s changed is that it’ll be a different head office.

There may be additional warehouse jobs, if they’re going to use the Pulrose warehouse to store and distribute to the existing superstore as well as the Shoprite stores. Things wil be delivered in cages,  already sorted at the source distribution centre with stuff for individual stores. There may be driver jobs for additional distribution.

Shoprite appears adequately staffed with shelf stackers and checkout operators.

So, where could the extra jobs actually be created?

I’m hoping that they’ll be able to set up collect by car on line shopping at, say, Victoria Road. That’ll take pressure off delivery slots. Perhaps they could allocate one of the Shoprite stores as a delivery hub. Perhaps having the Pulrose distribution warehouse will free up  sufficient ambient and chill storage space at Lake Road for collect by car or additional delivery slots.

That'll create jobs for pickers and delivery drivers.

Id be happy to do click & collect grocery shopping. I do it in Spain, I’m too far from the store for them to deliver.

You have a point, but ultimately whatever jobs created are down to Tesco management and certainly not for our politicos to question. Reading the many comments on Facebook and there is a wishlist of wants and expectations. 

Pre made coleslaw with white vinegary mayonnaise ???

Would you want to see it again???

How do they get the mayonnaise for the coleslaw or potato salad so white! What do they use the egg yolks for!!!

Ayeee!

Edited by Kopek

20 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Pre made coleslaw with white vinegary mayonnaise ???

Would you want to see it again???

How do they get the mayonnaise for the coleslaw or potato salad so white! What do they use the egg yolks for!!!

Ayeee!

At the risk of derailing, the best coleslaw I have ever had was the one supplied to Robinson's by Salt n Pepper.  Tried to find an equivalent recipe, unsuccessfully. 

On 12/8/2023 at 10:56 PM, finlo said:

How long will it take for them to realise they've bought a pup by trying to expand in a failing market place?

They didn't buy a pup they bought the shoprite empire to keep any opposition out , I could not believe the platitudes coming out of our politico's  yesterday , quote    there is room for more competition ,if someone else wishes to open up , 

exactly where and with what ? Tesco and M and S   will be getting the best transport rates , and in a highly competitive industry are the market leaders , I would be worrying about Spar  and some of the smaller guys  , especially if they decide to open Tesco express in every town on the isle of Man ,

Port Erin is going to be a convenience store especially as they have convenience store prices already added to Tesco standard items. I’ve noted a few items are as much as 8 or 9% more expensive in Port Erin than Douglas. 
Don’t believe the hype. 

• Confused 1

18 minutes ago, Gizo said:

Port Erin is going to be a convenience store especially as they have convenience store prices already added to Tesco standard items. I’ve noted a few items are as much as 8 or 9% more expensive in Port Erin than Douglas. 
Don’t believe the hype. 

That may be because Tesco are just supplying Shoprite, not operating the stores yet, so will have Shoprite's mark up, possibly? 

Edited by Gladys
Typo