Tesco buy all nine Shoprite supermarkets- Monopoly?

darenisepic

1 hour ago, IOM said:

Agreed I use a lot of the stores you list they are very good . But a wider choice of non food General merchandise would help the island the stores you mention can only offer a limited choice . 

I don't understand your reasoning.

You want more choice for electrical items but less choice for food.

Aldi for instance carry a range that's only 10%or less of normal supermarkets

Aldi said it saves money by offering a "carefully selected range of products". It said the total number of its product lines is 1,750 compared with another major supermarket of 40,000. For example, Aldi stocks only one variant of tomato ketchup vs other supermarkets who have 20 or so.

Edited by emesde
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, CrazyDave said:

What can they offer that JACstores can’t?

One of the best, most underrated and underused businesses on the island.

Order from their website and your item will be with you the next day, if not the same day.

We also have MTV, Colebournes, Ken Quines, Felton’s and some other proper local businesses that sort you out for any of the items Tesco might offer.  Even the Co-Op do them if you are desperate, or M&S.

We are stuck with Tesco coming in and people going there by default, but don’t forget the local businesses.  Like I said, if you haven’t tried JACstores website yet you should have a look.  Prices and service are superb.  PLEASE don’t just everyone default to Tesco for a new kettle.

https://shop.jacstores.co.uk/

I have never bought an electrical item from Tesco. It's all cheap crap.

1 hour ago, IOM said:

Agreed I use a lot of the stores you list they are very good . But a wider choice of non food General merchandise would help the island the stores you mention can only offer a limited choice . 

What could you want o but that you couldn’t get in one of those shops?

There must be at least 100 toasters available just between those stores. How much choice does a person need?

49 minutes ago, emesde said:

I don't understand your reasoning.

You want more choice for electrical items but less choice for food.

Aldi for instance carry a range that's only 10%or less of normal supermarkets

Aldi said it saves money by offering a "carefully selected range of products". It said the total number of its product lines is 1,750 compared with another major supermarket of 40,000. For example, Aldi stocks only one variant of tomato ketchup vs other supermarkets who have 20 or so.

What is the matter with some posters here ? I know full well Aldi have a smaller range my point about Aldi is it offers good quality at exceptional value . They are the price leader across and all the major grocers keep figuring out how to compete with them . Please point me to where I suggested I would only ever want Aldi ! For me in an ideal world it’s  part of a balanced retail landscape that sits alongside Tesco , M and S , Coop . 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

What could you want o but that you couldn’t get in one of those shops?

There must be at least 100 toasters available just between those stores. How much choice does a person need?

That’s a fair point for some people though I think it’s the retail setting where in a big store they find it easier to browse . To be honest it’s not necessarily my choice .

6 hours ago, IOM said:

What is the matter with some posters here ? I know full well Aldi have a smaller range my point about Aldi is it offers good quality at exceptional value . They are the price leader across and all the major grocers keep figuring out how to compete with them . Please point me to where I suggested I would only ever want Aldi ! For me in an ideal world it’s  part of a balanced retail landscape that sits alongside Tesco , M and S , Coop . 

You do have to question how we've got here in terms of the grocery landscape. 

Probably Tesco will now have 80% of the market, with the alternatives being Coop and M&S (which elsewhere would generally be niche premium or convenience offerings only). It is effectively a market failure (the only thing stopping this is Tesco continuing in good faith not to overtly hike prices) - and it is a good thing @IOM has brought the pricing disparity up.

It wasn't great before with a Shoprite that seemingly refused to invest and held many sites around the island, and lobbied hard against any alternative offerings coming in.

Compared to similar areas (Jersey etc) the choice is much less. How much this is down to Shoprite's behaviour, the local political landscape and the shipping arrangements is up for debate. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, IOM said:

I think it may be down to volumes? If Aldi's business model is to sell big volumes at discounted prices and lower margins, those volumes may not be achievable with our population size and competition from Tesco and others? Particularly when the cost of staffing, rent, utilities, transportation and storage etc are taken into consideration.

1 hour ago, Mercenary said:

Compared to similar areas (Jersey etc) the choice is much less. How much this is down to Shoprite's behaviour, the local political landscape and the shipping arrangements is up for debate. 

The population of Jersey alone is c.20,000 greater than the IoM, it makes it a little more viable than us for businesses.

Edited by Max Power

11 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Anyone know when Victoria Road is due to reopen? Should be a better experience than Lake Road.

27th of March,  they'll have turned it into an equally miserable experience I would suggest.

Edited by finlo
  • Like 1