Tesco buy all nine Shoprite supermarkets- Monopoly?

darenisepic

23 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

Just to bring it back to Tesco, their 'finest' loose leaf earl grey tea is shite.

A bit like some of their sausages that now have 90% meat compared to previously 97% . But their fresh food Director said that reducing the meat content and charging the same price was what customers wanted !!!!!Similarly putting less beef in the beef lasagne! 

33 minutes ago, IOM said:

A bit like some of their sausages that now have 90% meat compared to previously 97% . But their fresh food Director said that reducing the meat content and charging the same price was what customers wanted !!!!!Similarly putting less beef in the beef lasagne! 

‘Twas ever thus. Reduce size or content/quality of ingredients. Keep price same. This can happen several times. Then relaunch, new bigger size, with a price hike.

My great grandparents had a bakery. My grandmother had multiple sets of cake and bread tins in graduated sizes. She told me that’s what they did.

Its why meaningful price comparison per standard unit is essential.

11 minutes ago, WTF said:

to be fair,  sausages with high meat content tend to be dry and horrible, a sausage needs a good fat content to baste the meat that is in it

But that's not what 'meat' means in this context.  That will include fat, collagen and so on (though there are  limits on how much).  The non-meat percentage will represent cereal and other fillers plus of course seasonings and flavourings.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

But that's not what 'meat' means in this context.  That will include fat, collagen and so on (though there are  limits on how much).

Don’t forget the “head meat”, steamed off the carcass.

The following news item was from The Telegraph in July 2023 and says the reduction had happened 4 years before  in 2019 

Tesco, Britain’s leading food retailer, has reduced the pork content of its Finest range from 97 per cent four years ago to 90 per cent.

Premium sausages at Marks & Spencer have gone from 97 per cent to 90 per cent over the same period, and the standard ones from 78 per cent to 75 per cent.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, emesde said:

The following news item was from The Telegraph in July 2023 and says the reduction had happened 4 years before  in 2019 

Tesco, Britain’s leading food retailer, has reduced the pork content of its Finest range from 97 per cent four years ago to 90 per cent.

Premium sausages at Marks & Spencer have gone from 97 per cent to 90 per cent over the same period, and the standard ones from 78 per cent to 75 per cent.

Does it really matter when it happened? I was relaying an oral submission of evidence by Tesco at a House Of Commons Select Committee made last Tuesday 30th April . 

5 minutes ago, IOM said:

Does it really matter when it happened? I was relaying an oral submission of evidence by Tesco at a House Of Commons Select Committee made last Tuesday 30th April . 

When you say 'now' it implies it is recent and a logical presumption is then that recent inflationary pressures have resulted in the reduction.  

But the reduction happened in 2019, so not a new change and one that seems to have been accepted by customers for 5 years, or thereabouts. 

What is the context of the submission last Tuesday? 

• Like 1

Just now, Gladys said:

When you say 'now' it implies it is recent and a logical presumption is then that recent inflationary pressures have resulted in the reduction.  

But the reduction happened in 2019, so not a new change and one that seems to have been accepted by customers for 5 years, or thereabouts. 

What is the context of the submission last Tuesday? 

I saw it on a House of Commons select committee at which Tesco and other supermarkets were asked to provide evidence about food and the food chain . One of the topics was shrinkflation . If their Director talks about it as in the now which is exactly what he did i assumed that’s what it was after all it was to an official committee . And let’s put it like this did you know it had happened at all ? And if you didn’t don’t you think it’s relevant to know what’s happening to your food ? You can have a pop at me all you like I don’t mind but all I am doing is literally relaying what was said to the committee last week .