Journalists with pitchforks

Cueey Lewis And The News

On 10/21/2023 at 9:53 AM, CrazyDave said:

Nobody has suggested a closed system.

People without lives can still go and sit in the public gallery 

Well to be honest I’ve often considered doing that ( I haven’t yet) . 

It’s a case I guess of “use it or lose it”.

” It “ being the transparency of the justice system.

Better I guess than sitting  on your arse on the sofa eating popcorn watching Judge Judy or Rinder. 

Courtroom dramas are very popular on television. So why not watch the real thing live. 

And you can compare your own judgement ( guilty or innocent, if guilty is the sentence appropriate? ) with that of the court. And you see the participants as the real people they are not just your perception from court reports in the newspaper. 

Maybe you get to confront any real prejudices you may have. 

Anyway you don’t have to be without a life to take an interest in the justice system.

Quite, nor should you have to rely on attending court to appraised of the details?

We have some sort of right to know what is happening in our society and our courts.

So a full media report , probably Gef, is an essential???

Should we have attend every Keys session to know what our Govt are doing???

Edited by Kopek
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Quite, nor should you have to rely on attending court to appraised of the details?

We have some sort of right to know what is happening in our society and our courts.

So a full media report , probably Gef, is an essential???

The outcome of the case and bare details  ( guilty, innocent say) yes

But let’s compare with football par example. 

Any number of sources will tell you the results, scorers, bookings, sendings off etc  in a particular match, if that’s all you’re interested in.

But I have been to football matches and have read reports of them which mention more than those bare statistics. Those reports analyse the game which haven’t always matched my own perception of the game. How well each team played as a unit, defensive capabilities an individual player’s contribution etc etc.

Gef can report from his own viewpoint ( sometimes unnecessarily including stuff to make it unduly humorous, but fair enough that’s his job and is often a good read).

The basic right to know what is happening in our  society and our courts, is the right to attend court hearings.

On 10/20/2023 at 10:30 PM, The Voice of Reason said:

Well if someone falls asleep drunk on a park bench, then I would expect the police not to deem it appropriate to drag them through the courts, unless for example they were asked to move on and refused to comply.

Yes the courts decide punishment and so they should. You talk about rehabilitation as if this were needed in respect of everyone brought before the courts. It’s certainly not always the case. People do bad things and deserve punishing for that.
Yes there may be mitigating factors which should be taken into account. But stealing, assault,  and worse for no reason at all need to be dealt with. 

And yes the Facebook mob can be particularly unpleasant. But so can people down the pub. Is that “ additional punishment”? There’s not much you can do about that. In an Island so small both forums will be full of opinions.

Trying to censor publicly available information is not the way to go. If a news article is biased in its reporting then remedies are available

Another case of a drunk person being dragged through court in the news today. Waste of police and courts time and money. Wonder if they had done the same if he had vomitted and fallen asleep on a bus? 

IMG_7483.png

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

Another case of a drunk person being dragged through court in the news today. Waste of police and courts time and money.

You seriously have to wonder why the police are bothering prosecuting this sort of stuff. Pick him up and either take him home or let him sleep it off in a cell.

It’s just petty and unnecessary. They should have better things to do, perhaps they could start by dealing with the little shits who hang around by Scoill Vallajeelt at night vandalising the playground and other school facilities.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Amadeus said:

Another case of a drunk person being dragged through court in the news today. Waste of police and courts time and money. Wonder if they had done the same if he had vomitted and fallen asleep on a bus? 

IMG_7483.png

Maybe google the guys name then come back and comment 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, thommo2010 said:

And?

He was in a puddle of sick in a street. He wasn’t doing any harm- except to himself. But the police screwing up a previous prosecution a few years ago certainly explains why they’re prosecuting him for this petty nonsense now.

8 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

And?

He was in a puddle of sick in a street. He wasn’t doing any harm- except to himself. But the police screwing up a previous prosecution a few years ago certainly explains why they’re prosecuting him for this petty nonsense now.

being drunk in public/incapable is an offence, don't want to run the risk of prosecution and going to court don't drink so much you're in a puddle of your own sick but yeah it is the police/courts fault 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

being drunk in public/incapable is an offence

Lots of petty things are an offence but the police do piss all about them.

There’s a UK-reg car in Chester Street contract parking, it’s been there every day for two years, but the police do piss all about it.
Kids keep drawing huge pictures of cocks and balls on the walls of Guttery Gable put the police do piss all about it.

Both do a lot more damage to society than lying in a puddle of sick in a back alley.

So why’s this any different? Police settling scores because they couldn’t nail him before?

Edited by Ringy Rose

22 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

There’s a UK-reg car in Chester Street contract parking, it’s been there every day for two years, but the police do piss all about it.
Kids keep drawing huge pictures of cocks and balls on the walls of Guttery Gable put the police do piss all about it.

Both do a lot more damage to society than lying in a puddle of sick in a back alley.

So why’s this any different? Police settling scores because they couldn’t nail him before?

Maybe the contract people are responsible for the UK car. As long as it's not on the highway I presume the cops are unable to do anything about it.

The vandals have to be caught in the act and I don't suppose the constabulary can afford to put a covert officer nearby in running shoes to catch the scrotes, who would probably only get a telling off anyway (and gobby parents telling the cops they should be catching REAL criminals).

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Ringy Rose said:

The uk reg car isn't on a road. If you see it on a road report it.

If you see someone spraying graffiti report it. 

Why would the police want to nail him? You need to stop watching tv and films 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ringy Rose said:

And?

Oh come on, you're trying to make out this guy is some sort of hard done by victim? Jeesis, I heard it all now.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, thommo2010 said:

Lol, this is exactly why the press need to report all these cases. I never knew about this guy before Amadeus’ post. Fascinating to know there are people like that about. I love this sort of gossip. Best thing is when they have Facebook profiles. 

• Like 2