Energy Policy Board

Moghrey Mie

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/douglas-mhk-has-questions-over-new-energy-policy-board/

There is already an Energy Policy Unit in DEFA. An Off-shore Energy Production Strategy. The 2023 Energy Strategy https://www.gov.im/media/1379841/defa-energy-stratv8-160623_compressed.pdf. Green Living Energy grants administered by DFE. An Energy Doctor Scheme. Manx Utilities running electricity. Net Zero running the transition to low carbon future. 

It's 8 years since Ken Milne went to London to encourage business to come here.https://www.gov.im/news/2015/jan/14/london-seminar-will-highlight-offshore-energy-opportunities/ And we still haven't got the relevant maritime legislation for off-shore oil and gas drilling.

Will yet another board bring any clarity to the situation?

Edited by Moghrey Mie

Well changes were needed, you had (one wing of) DEFA spending hundreds of thousands on consultants reports about future energy policy (choosing their own assessment criteria) without Manx Utilities, who are then left to 'make it work'. Also DOI managing offshore licenses (and also the overall sponsor of MU). And no doubt CabO running their own aspects too.

@Moghrey Miemore bullshit from CM Cannan, which will probably cause no end of difficulties with the Climate Change Transformation Board, and clash of egos. It’s another layer of bureaucracy. Who is CM Cannan going to take advice and instructions from? The Energy Board (made up of Politicos, and Civil Servants) or The Climate Change Transformation Board ( made up of Politicos, Civil Servants and Experts)? Or was it designed to have two competing Boards each competing for the ear of CM Cannan?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 2112 said:

@Moghrey Miemore bullshit from CM Cannan, which will probably cause no end of difficulties with the Climate Change Transformation Board, and clash of egos. It’s another layer of bureaucracy. Who is CM Cannan going to take advice and instructions from? The Energy Board (made up of Politicos, and Civil Servants) or The Climate Change Transformation Board ( made up of Politicos, Civil Servants and Experts)? Or was it designed to have two competing Boards each competing for the ear of CM Cannan?

Should CC board be directly setting energy policy? And prioritising CC over other factors such as resilience, cost of supplies & infrastructure costs? Surely it should be set by MU or similar, considering recommendations by the CC board (and balancing them against relevant factors).

Chris Thomas was on the Sunday Politics show with Phil Gawne again today, talking about Crogga. Not sure what's really going on here but it's big stakes politics and they're not telling the public. No surprise there and par for the course. I can't decide if Chris Thomas is trying to protect the taxpayer or whether he's trying to stall and filibuster the Crogga project until the renewable lobby gets its windmill option through Tynwald. The public need to know the truth here and who's kidding whom.

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, Mercenary said:

Should CC board be directly setting energy policy? And prioritising CC over other factors such as resilience, cost of supplies & infrastructure costs? Surely it should be set by MU or similar, considering recommendations by the CC board (and balancing them against relevant factors).

Either way it is going to cost the taxpayers. Maybe the Climate Change Transformation Board was set up to shut Daffy up, let her think she is in charge? Professor Curran Bun sits on the Board and is a Climate Change Boffin, who know doubt provides Tynpotwald with a report or two (at a cost to the taxpayer of course). Is this the norm now within IOMG to have two boards? Perhaps there is going to be another Housing and Communities Board established to shadow Professor Ashford? 

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

There is already an Energy Policy Team in DEFA.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Manxman1234 said:

More cost for the tax payers

Yes it would seem to an outsider that Cannan single handed is attempting to create post and jobs for all the 15k he says we need. Personally they need to start looking at operations more like a business and start to cut the various departments headcount and look at closely the job description. I mean , who’s really coming here anytime soon with chronic lack of dentists , massive waiting lists ,infrastructure in a mess and so much more. But Cannan led CoMin plodding on with seemingly no awareness that the maths don’t add up. Just let’s increase the head count. Yeah that will work….But but , we have a massive CS pension deficit ….Ahhhh don't worry we have a new boat and we’ll get those 15k in in no time…. But but , where do they live …Ahhh they’re on the same boat , but but ……….and so it goes on…. 

Edited by Numbnuts

You can find out anything using the Internet. So I searched for "list of gov. committees" - and got a list of Westminster committees. 163 of them, and all members are listed.

(The Women and Equalities Committee has 11 members of which 2 are men - so much for equality)

But my search for a list of IoM gov. boards and committees was not too successful.

But I did find that in addition to an Energy Policy Team , there is also an Ecosystem Policy Team.

My suggestion is that we send in RogerMexico on contract to create a huge spreadsheet, listing all committees, boards, units, teams, directorates and anything else I've missed.

29 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

You can find out anything using the Internet. So I searched for "list of gov. committees" - and got a list of Westminster committees. 163 of them, and all members are listed.

(The Women and Equalities Committee has 11 members of which 2 are men - so much for equality)

But my search for a list of IoM gov. boards and committees was not too successful.

But I did find that in addition to an Energy Policy Team , there is also an Ecosystem Policy Team.

My suggestion is that we send in RogerMexico on contract to create a huge spreadsheet, listing all committees, boards, units, teams, directorates and anything else I've missed.

Yes I would like to see a Venn diagram showing who works in each department etc. Let's have it spread out on the floor of the Villa Marina instead of the government conference next year.

Edited by Moghrey Mie
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1