You’ve never had it so good?

Stu Peters

What a truly brilliant piece of journalism. Locate to the IOM and enjoy a gold star health and education service. Simply be overwhelmed by the vibrancy of our local attractions and things to do. Be astonished about the youthfulness of the population that presents so many opportunities for young people. Add to that, our modern approach to a super lean, efficient government that is 100% accountable. Fairness and equal opportunities runs through the rich vein of quality life here.

• Haha 16

7 minutes ago, Wake Up Call said:

What a truly brilliant piece of journalism. Locate to the IOM and enjoy a gold star health and education service. Simply be overwhelmed by the vibrancy of our local attractions and things to do. Be astonished about the youthfulness of the population that presents so many opportunities for young people. Add to that, our modern approach to a super lean, efficient government that is 100% accountable. Fairness and equal opportunities runs through the rich vein of quality life here.

I hope someone from COMIN PR department is reading this, you'll be a shoo-in! They need people like you. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Why are you comparing IOM with UK? Do you not want the best for yourself and other residents? What's wrong with wanting the best (that you pay for)?

I read the article as suggesting to people in the UK that we have things better than them.  You know? Making a comparison.

People in the comments on the article seem to be thinking the same.  It’s full of people comparing here and there.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

I read the article as suggesting to people in the UK that we have things better than them.  You know? Making a comparison.

People in the comments on the article seem to be thinking the same.  It’s full of people comparing here and there.

This what you were replying to:

Screenshot 2023-11-08 11.34.05.png

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, CrazyDave said:

Yes, and any other loan through a local lender like a car loan, holiday loan etc.

Yes, but no. Relief is subject to a maximum of £5000 in interest and is given at 10%. This means the most anyone can reduce their tax bill by is £500.

https://www.gov.im/categories/tax-vat-and-your-money/income-tax-and-national-insurance/individuals/residents/rates-and-allowances/

Edited by piebaps

2 minutes ago, woolley said:

The lack of insight contained in the article is matched only by the comments. Complete nonsense all round. The number of people that think we freeload on the UK for health, education, defence etc. I thought all the idiots read the Sun, Star and Mirror.

I asked ChatGPT to write about the tax advantages of the Isle of Man and it said we don't have any VAT here.

I wonder where they get their information from.

14 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

I stopped reading when I got to the line, "the cost of living is cheaper".

I took a taxi from the Victoria Street rank only last Friday, well the early hours of, 12.10am to be precise. My journey to Snugborough Ave, Union Mills, around 3 - 4 minutes.

£12.50!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

I took a taxi from the Victoria Street rank only last Friday, well the early hours of, 12.10am to be precise. My journey to Snugborough Ave, Union Mills, around 3 - 4 minutes.

You could have walked 100 m and waited 5 minutes and caught a bus.  Some people obviously have too much money.

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

6 hours ago, 2112 said:

Thet article in the Telrgraph, whilst on the surface, elements are true, actual day to day living bear no resemblance to day to day living. The gulf between the haves and have nots are certainly true.

To be fair what you wrote is true about practically every article in the Telegraph.  And that's the way its readers like it.

1 hour ago, Nom de plume said:

Cost of living is cheaper than part of the UK, and higher than others.

So depending on where the person writing lives they weren’t necessarily wrong.