£47m Government Overspend

Hairy Poppins

2 minutes ago, Zarley said:

It's great having a doc who really knows his stuff

You could also ask your pharmacist - I believe they spend three or four years learning about drugs.    Maybe they’d be taken more seriously if they were less available…😉

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jarndyce said:

You could also ask your pharmacist - I believe they spend three or four years learning about drugs.    Maybe they’d be taken more seriously if they were less available…😉

High street chemists usually don't have any experience with some of the meds I'm on. I know because I've asked about possible drug interactions between meds prescribed by my GP and meds prescribed by my consultant. Each time they hadn't a clue so I had to get in touch with the consultant. I'm just glad they admitted they didn't know, rather than hazard an educated guess. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Zarley said:

High street chemists usually don't have any experience with some of the meds I'm on. I know because I've asked about possible drug interactions between meds prescribed by my GP and meds prescribed by my consultant. Each time they hadn't a clue so I had to get in touch with the consultant. I'm just glad they admitted they didn't know, rather than hazard an educated guess. 

The same cannot be said of Edwin Kinrade. Twice in the past he has made a couple of my GP's aware of contraindications with prescriptions they've issued and had them corrected. Man of moment that fella.

Lansoprazole, for instance, widely prescribed, can be especially problematic. Although the accompanying advice leaflet mentions certain contraindications, I wonder how many patients actually scrutinise it and take it strictly as instructed?

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Zarley said:

Yes. It's amazing the different things that can alter the absorption rate of various meds. Grapefruit is somewhat well-known for interfering with some meds, for instance. Calcium (such as in antacids) is another.

And anticoagulants as well, I think.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Zarley said:

I guess AI will be able to alert people to possible drug interactions in future-more reliable than human memory.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, quilp said:

The same cannot be said of Edwin Kinrade. Twice in the past he has made a couple of my GP's aware of contraindications with prescriptions they've issued and had them corrected. Man of moment that fella

Arguably, they will all do this - it's part of their job, and a professional responsibility.   I can only assume that @Zarley has been very unlucky in choice of pharmacist.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jarndyce said:

Arguably, they will all do this - it's part of their job, and a professional responsibility.   I can only assume that @Zarley has been very unlucky in choice of pharmacist.

No, that's not the case at all. I'm on four meds for a condition that isn't very common on the island. While one of them has been in use for a while, one has a new formulation which has changed how it's metabolised, and the other two are quite new with one being less than a year old (less than a year outside of trials).

It's not terribly surprising that a high-street chemist isn't up to date on every new med for a condition they're rarely seeing in the population they serve. 

• Thanks 1