A Conspiracy Theory - or something else?

ricardo

12 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

I'm not sure if Moore simply doesn't know what he is talking about (as he's Chief Nurse, you'd think he should)

Could be - not all nurses know everything there is to know about vaccines: and Paul Moore is a manager, rather than a practice / public health nurse.   I’m sure he was given some numbers to read and the “under 5” anomaly was missed, both by him and by the civil servant who wrote the release.

12 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

Anyway, away from that lets get into the real conspiracy theory that's attracting the attention of the entire world right now - what's going on with Kate?

THOSE AREN’T KATE’S HANDS!!!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Jarndyce said:

Could be - not all nurses know everything there is to know about vaccines: and Paul Moore is a manager, rather than a practice / public health nurse.   I’m sure he was given some numbers to read and the “under 5” anomaly was missed, both by him and by the civil servant who wrote the release.

Well I'm neither a nurse nor a manager and I spotted it straight away.  I had to check the exact ages at which the MMR doses are administered, but I knew to check rather than sounding off on something that sounded alarming.  Perhaps Manx Care should put forward someone who knows what they are talking about next time.

This sort of information is important.  There is a real problem generally with parents not having their kids vaccinated and with levels in the population falling below the level at which group immunity works.  But we need to know what the real relevant level is; if it applies to first or just second dose; it is genuine vaccine hesitancy or for practical reasons.

We seem to have got into a situation where 'communication' from public institutions has stopped being about passing on important information and mainly become about making it look good.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Moghrey Mie said:

Shouldn't it be Public Health that puts out information about contagious diseases and vaccination levels?

Yes but doesn't he work part-time and not even live on the Island? You can see where this is heading can't you?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Well I err towards the opinion that there is some sort of universal being as the alternative doesn’t stack up in my eyes. If the universe was created by say a collision of two things, where did those things come from? If they came from other things where did those other things come from?etc. Anyway this has been visited many times. You think it’s “poor thinking” which is more likely to lead to less favorable decisions or actions.

So let’s say my opinion crystallizes into a belief that there is some sort of “God” or being.

Does that mean I’m going to start ( or join in with) wars, attack other people or treat them less favourably, or even try to get people to share my beliefs? No I can guarantee it won’t. It doesn’t even mean I’m going to attach myself to any particular religious group. I’ll just go about my regular  business.
You may think that I’m being stupid about this aspect of my thinking but that doesn’t mean I’m mad, bad and dangerous to know, exerting a malign influence on society.

People are perfectly entitled to hold the view that we should stop using fossil fuels (but some argue that is poor thinking). That’s fine, it’s when they don orange hi viz vests, attack paintings and disrupt traffic and sporting events etc  that problems occur.

Similarly healthy debates can be had between those who believe you can choose your gender and those who think you can’t ( and I don’t want to get into all that again) but when those debates spill over into hatred and aggression that’s not acceptable.

There are many other such areas in which people hold different beliefs 

Your presumably “ good thinking” leads you to believe there is no God type character but I don’t really see how you can have a problem with another person  having a mere belief in a universal being.

The sensible position with respect to a creator, if we don't have answers about how the Big Bang happened, is to say we don't know.  It's not to plug a being in there to fix the gap in our understanding. We know so little about the beginning of the universe and to jump to it being a being and think this is true is irrational. 

It's better for people to believe things that are true and not believe those that are false or when there is poor evidence.  If we are permissive about the idea of holding false beliefs and accepting of poor evidence then we get into all sorts of trouble and harms.  Wars and conflict are the worst of it but it could be such simply things as people believing in homeopathy, praying for a good result (and giving less attention to what they need to do), attributing occurrences to forces outside of their control, accepting injustices because they are ordained, thinking it's right to part with money for a religious cause, thinking you're going to a better place when you die so not caring quite as much about this life and things done to others. 

I haven't said there is no God character. The problem is that there are millions who claim that there is and know that there is but they have nothing to show for it, yet to varying degrees it influences or directs their thinking and behaviour.

The good thinking is not to be convinced on the basis of their poor evidence.  That's not the same as saying their beliefs are false, although the abrahamic faiths are clearly man-made in my view.

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

Well I'm neither a nurse nor a manager and I spotted it straight away.  I had to check the exact ages at which the MMR doses are administered, but I knew to check rather than sounding off on something that sounded alarming.  Perhaps Manx Care should put forward someone who knows what they are talking about next time

This ⬆️.

8 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I think you misinterpreted what Teapot was saying.

What is  more bizarre is when he pointed this out to you you continued with your misinterpretation rather than rereading the post and graciously admitting that you were mistaken.

I think you need to go back and re read, you as well do not seem to have any logic skills.

• 1 month later...