Isle of Man Budget 2024

Maugholdmafia

7 hours ago, Amadeus said:

And now that the civil servants actually running the place have shown that they’re willing to raise taxes to keep their empire going, while not being able to see what sort of signal this sends (or not caring) I’m very concerned that we are going to enter a steep downward trajectory soon.

It’s harder than you think to sell this place as a business destination. Trust me, I do it every day and have done so for many years. IOMG is not helping with this budget. Not at all. There is little to no commercial awareness or understanding and I’m starting to diversify away from here. I love this place but the people running it clearly do not. 

It's all about self-preservation and has been since the VAT cut. The same applies to the trajectory and with the UK now in recession (technically or otherwise), we are likely to catch a sniff from that too, it's unavoidable.

11 hours ago, slinkydevil said:

Also here to watch those beautiful faces:

This is somewhat trivial, but nevertheless....  the Finance Minister of a country is sitting in front of an advert for a company involved in finance.  That should not happen.

There is also an an excess of advertising for Manx Radio which is paid for in part by the public - and Allinson is wearing a tie in Manx Radio colours! At least Cannan had a tie in more appropriate colour - black.

18 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Totally ignoring the fact that it's the private sector that's funding that increase...and as Stu P. posted on here, why shouldn't MHKs and Govt workers receive inflation-and-above rises to cope with the cost of living? All you need to know.

It is a two tier society. With that tier consisting purely of entitled fuckwits.

And bang on time...payrises needed to counter inflation and also the rises in taxation now...

Screenshot_20240224-105103_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Amadeus said:

And now that the civil servants actually running the place have shown that they’re willing to raise taxes to keep their empire going, while not being able to see what sort of signal this sends (or not caring) I’m very concerned that we are going to enter a steep downward trajectory soon.

It’s harder than you think to sell this place as a business destination. Trust me, I do it every day and have done so for many years. IOMG is not helping with this budget. Not at all. There is little to no commercial awareness or understanding and I’m starting to diversify away from here. I love this place but the people running it clearly do not. 

Agree 100% on the signalling side. The fact that a large tax increase was ushered through without even some concrete hint at belt tightening (pension reform, Department/headcount reductions, subvention reductions) is a worrying sign.

If anything the signalling is that they'll seek to levy tax hikes on small businesses next. There are signs of cutting capital projects, but if these are the only cuts to sustain revenue expenditure on CS payroll/benefits it just means infrastructure investment is reducing and taxes are rising to maintain a status quo, which puts future growth at risk.

• Thanks 2

On 2/23/2024 at 10:39 AM, code99 said:

At the risk of being boring, I am re-posting a link that I have posted (for you) a week ago:

https://www.gov.im/news/2023/mar/27/climate-change-paris-agreement-extended-to-isle-of-man/

When it comes to our commitments to the Paris Agreement or COP26 or climate change policies or net zero goals, etc, my impression is that Isle of Man and the CIs Governments had no say on the matter – they were probably told by the UK Government to toe the UK line. The Climate Change Act 2021 was passed by Tynwald, presumably Stu Peters voted against it?

The only way forward is for the IOMG to work with the UK Government and to persuade them to make their/ our “legally binding” commitments less onerous. That is all I have to say on this subject.

Did you read it? It says twice that IOMG applied to be included. How did you miss that? 

12 hours ago, Amadeus said:

That’s the UK. Nothing to do with us. The UK market is its own little universe. You’d be better advised to look at the recent Entain case and how it will affect pre-regulated markets.

Thanks for the insight. It was more by way of pointing out the trajectory the online gambling industry is heading. Much like other past niches (airships, movies) they do have an expiry date.

6 hours ago, asitis said:

But when you point this out some halfwit will jump in with, "there's a boat in the morning".

This blinkered fingers in ears attitude towards those who are funding the entire house of cards will be our downfall !

They've even screwed that up.... at arms length.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

And bang on time...payrises needed to counter inflation and also the rises in taxation now...

There needs to be a pay freeze or very low rise for public sector except for frontline healthcare, teachers and maybe police, possibly ATC to attract staff 

• Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Ffs

Of he wants to factor in the small tax increase, does he also want them to factor in the reduction in NI and the significant increase in child benefits that will leave a lot of people quite a bit better off than the were pre budget.

The fixation on the the increase (which isn’t a 2% increase on tax paid, as most of the most moaney moaners seem to believe it is) is doing my head in and so negative.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Banker said:

There needs to be a pay freeze or very low rise for public sector except for frontline healthcare, teachers and maybe police, possibly ATC to attract staff 

As the tax base declines (lower dipsosable income due to inflation, banks and other high street employers downsizing, hospitality struggling etc. ) they'll keep turning the tax screws rather than take the pain now because it's easier

4 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

The dopey twat is too thick to realize that if they put up taxes to fund their pay increases the extra tax will net off against their pay increases. Or is he suggesting that his workers won’t pay the increased taxes he’s calling for? This is the level of person we are dealing with here now. An absolute fuckwit.

4 minutes ago, Interested Reader said:

The dopey twat is too thick to realize that if they put up taxes to fund their pay increases the extra tax will net off against their pay increases. Or is he suggesting that his workers won’t pay the increased taxes he’s calling for? This is the level of person we are dealing with here now. An absolute fuckwit.

It's the PS approach though.

Whatever appears to diminish their financial standing, be it inflation, taxes or anything else, must automatically be replaced by payrises from the public purse, of an equal percentage or greater in order to maintain their standards. Anything less equates to a pay cut.

And the Govt usually acquiesces to this and raises taxes and charges across the board in order to fund it. Which also helps to fuel inflation again.

It's an endless spiral which sees those without such negotiating influence becoming worse and worse off as they're paying for it.

• Like 2