Assisted Dying

Albert Tatlock

2 hours ago, Fred the shred said:

The committee have suggested a 5 year residency clause and the Bill will be getting examined in the near future.    Dr Allinson reckons it will be law within a couple of years.    Here’s hoping.

Well hopefully you sign up for the clinical trails, No doubt they will need some Government test dummies.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 1 month later...

I see CM Cannan is advocating an island wide referendum on this topic. 

Im all for democracy, but perhaps this topic will cause division on the island, and its effects will be felt after the referendum.

I feel that the likes of CM Cannan and some others see Assisted Dying as an opportunity to make money, and to increase the population at the same time. 

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, 2112 said:

A cop out. I'd rather an island referendum on him.

i.e. an election.

He's running the island into the ground.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, WTF said:

with all the local coffin dodgers hanging on for that extra breath there won't be the votes to help the ones that want to go along.

The religious bunch will no doubt be out in force and organised that day.

With a likely turnout of only around 20 to 25%, sad thing is they'll likely win the day.

People wanting this legislation to be enacted need to get off their arse and not assume that the actual vote in a referendum will be anything like the actual surveys/polls. Like Brexit.

Complacency breeds fools.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Im all for democracy, but perhaps this topic will cause division on the island, and its effects will be felt after the referendum.

I feel that the likes of CM Cannan and some others see Assisted Dying as an opportunity to make money, and to increase the population at the same time. 

How would we make money and increase the population?

The proposals are that people have to be resident here for a good amount of time (I think a year off the top of my head) before they could even speak to a dr about it.

52 minutes ago, 2112 said:

How on earth do you get to this? It’s a Private Member’s Bill and he’s against it

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Thomas Dalby said:

How on earth do you get to this? It’s a Private Member’s Bill and he’s against it

That's precisely why I think anyone for this needs to get off their arse and not take the outcome for granted.

It’s long overdue for a serious discussion about compulsory voting - especially if this referendum happens. People can still opt to spoil their vote (that is their right), they just can’t be lazy sods and not bother voting. It works. 

• Like 1

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/cannan-i-will-be-proposing-referendum-on-assisted-dying/

"He told members there comes a 'time and a place when the people need their say':"

Sounds good. How about the people having a say about MHKs paying for parking. Or £100,000 per year for an AI "expert". Or any other number of things the people need to decide about.