Assisted Dying

Albert Tatlock

3 minutes ago, Cinderella said:

spoil their vote

This phrase should be replaced by the words "none of the above are worth voting for".

There should be a distinction between someone spilling coffee on the voting form, and people who disagree with all the proposed candidates.

2 minutes ago, Cinderella said:

It’s long overdue for a serious discussion about compulsory voting - especially if this referendum happens. People can still opt to spoil their vote (that is their right), they just can’t be lazy sods and not bother voting. It works. 

Disagree. No vote should be compulsory. If you have 2 choices and a majority opt for neither, how is that a 'vote' at all?

That's something fundamentally wrong with the voting options available. 

My way v the highway v what?

Maybe we should consider votes with less than 30% turnout...null and void?

• Like 1

Just now, Two-lane said:

This phrase should be replaced by the words "none of the above are worth voting for".

There should be a distinction between someone spilling coffee on the voting form, and people who disagree with all the proposed candidates.

Can’t agree - that is something altogether and would go to how people nominate to stand, or in this case, how the wording of a referendum is crafted. Compulsory voting is about dealing with laziness and apathy. It does result in higher engagement 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Disagree. No vote should be compulsory. If you have 2 choices and a majority opt for neither, how is that a 'vote' at all?

That's something fundamentally wrong with the voting options available. 

My way v the highway v what?

Maybe we should consider votes with less than 30% turnout...null and void?

Maybe I should rename it: compulsory attendance. You can choose not to vote. You just can’t be lazy. 

1 minute ago, Cinderella said:

Maybe I should rename it: compulsory attendance. You can choose not to vote. You just can’t be lazy. 

If you could only vote for Hitler or Stalin...what good is turning up?

You're trying trying to legitimise real votes that no one wants.

15 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/cannan-i-will-be-proposing-referendum-on-assisted-dying/

"He told members there comes a 'time and a place when the people need their say':"

Sounds good. How about the people having a say about MHKs paying for parking. Or £100,000 per year for an AI "expert". Or any other number of things the people need to decide about.

I want a Say on assisted death 

MHKs parking - couldn’t care less

£100k for an AI expert.  Might as well give it a go and it’s not really a lot of money in the grand scheme of things.

Referendums and giving people a say should be for major issues only, and I think this is one.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/cannan-i-will-be-proposing-referendum-on-assisted-dying/

"He told members there comes a 'time and a place when the people need their say':"

Sounds good. How about the people having a say about MHKs paying for parking. Or £100,000 per year for an AI "expert". Or any other number of things the people need to decide about.

£100k for an AI expert.  Might as well give it a go and it’s not really a lot of money in the grand scheme of things.

Referendums and giving people a say should be for major issues only, and I think this is one.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Anthony Ingham said:

How would we make money and increase the population?

The proposals are that people have to be resident here for a good amount of time (I think a year off the top of my head) before they could even speak to a dr about it.

The one who wishes to die, will have to relocate here to qualify - either rent a property or buy a property. The would please CM Cannan, another notch in terms of growing the population, even if they are elderly. 

56 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

The religious bunch will no doubt be out in force and organised that day.

With a likely turnout of only around 20 to 25%, sad thing is they'll likely win the day.

People wanting this legislation to be enacted need to get off their arse and not assume that the actual vote in a referendum will be anything like the actual surveys/polls. Like Brexit.

Complacency breeds fools.

A very emotive subject, there will be no winners, but a divided island. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cinderella said:

It’s long overdue for a serious discussion about compulsory voting - especially if this referendum happens. People can still opt to spoil their vote (that is their right), they just can’t be lazy sods and not bother voting. It works. 

if they bring that in i would be voting for the dead dog or screaming lord such wannabe out of spite, i doubt i'd be alone.

18 hours ago, WTF said:

if they bring that in i would be voting for the dead dog or screaming lord such wannabe out of spite, i doubt i'd be alone.

I thought we already had ! LOL.

Referendums rarely settle anything. How many would really understand the issues anyway ? What if it was inconclusive ? How would it be worded ? Lots of questions to be answered before they take this step. Organised pressure groups would have an unfair advantage too. If I was Alf I'd forget it.

On balance I'm for the legislation though. Those against can't answer the main fundamental question. It came up on the Mannin Line today when Andy Wint reminded a caller about the recent case of a local man who was terminally ill and died in the most agonising and traumatic way for him, his family and carers. In such extremis the anti-legislation lobbyists have no answer. I know that when my time is up, and if the decision is between me and God, I know which way I'll be voting. 

• Thanks 1