One Hull of a problem

When my dad died during the 80s, on the morning of the funeral I brought his family from Ireland to the undertakers to say their goodbyes. The undertaker was aghast that anyone would want to do such a thing and said that 'we don't do embalming on the Isle of Man' whatever that's supposed to mean? It left me with the thought that 'we do half a job on the Isle of Man' but we didn't get half a bill! My relatives were quite upset and were very suspicious that something was wrong, but it's not the time to be having a row with the undertaker!

Find it hard to get excited about ashes, frankly. Wrong baby given to parents at the maternity ward, yes. There's something to get worked up over. Lifesaving surgery lashed up by a stupid error, absolutely, but a few ashes? When you're gone, you're gone. You ain't coming back whatever happens to the ashes. What you gonna do with 'em anyway?  Obviously it's me and my lack of religion.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, woolley said:

Find it hard to get excited about ashes, frankly. Wrong baby given to parents at the maternity ward, yes. There's something to get worked up over. Lifesaving surgery lashed up by a stupid error, absolutely, but a few ashes? When you're gone, you're gone. You ain't coming back whatever happens to the ashes. What you gonna do with 'em anyway?  Obviously it's me and my lack of religion.

Agree given a percentage of the ashes is the coffin plus other bits of debris. Concentrate on the real issues 

• Like 2

Bit of a let down really.

When I first heard about this I assumed it was either something like the Alastair Cooke scandal* or the funeral directors were being used by the local Yorkshire mafia to dispose of the "inconvenient" bodies** of former associates.

Didn't expect it be as boring as this...

Alistair Cooke - Wikipedia

**  aka "the evidence"

2 hours ago, Passing Time said:

Agree given a percentage of the ashes is the coffin plus other bits of debris. Concentrate on the real issues 

I thought they tripped you out of the coffin once it passed through the curtains then flogged it to the next punter!

5 hours ago, Ghost Ship said:

"Lack of Lack of sociopathy"?

You sure about that?

Fairly certain he knows what he means, but he knows nothing of my levels of empathy. I accept that it's a controversial view I posted, but it's honest. Had enough bereavement in my time, but the treasured memories of loved ones lost are with me rather than in an urn of ashes. Others will see things differently, as is their right.

• Like 1