I'm back...

Derek Flint

Or at least I was for the weekend....

I was over last weekend for some family business. The Manxman was 'great but late' both ways, and it was a joy to bump in to our many friends around the North. Food out at Milntown and The Hawthorn was good too. 

The trip home is always difficult emotionally. I love the rock passionately, but returning does bring in to focus the general feel of decline. Folk are trying really hard in retail and hospitality, but are being hit with rent increases. The 'bomb sites' remain undeveloped and there's just that feeling that despite  the goodness of the community, a brave face prevails against some real difficulties.

Reading the other threads on stuff like getting a credit card means there are further challenges for residents that makes the offer for incomers really hard to sell. I'm increasingly concerned as to where the golden egg of recovery is going to come from. The island plan seems to offer little.

What is to be done?

• Like 9

Local news typically refers to information and stories that are relevant to a specific geographic area, such as a city, town, or region. It covers events, developments, and issues that directly impact the community and its residents. Local news often includes stories about local government, education, businesses, community events, crime, and other topics of interest to the people living in that area. It serves to keep residents informed about what is happening in their immediate surroundings and fosters a sense of connection and engagement within the community.

16 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

I was over last weekend for some family business. The Manxman was 'great but late' both ways, and it was a joy to bump in to our many friends around the North. Food out at Milntown and The Hawthorn was good too. 

The trip home is always difficult emotionally. I love the rock passionately, but returning does bring in to focus the general feel of decline. Folk are trying really hard in retail and hospitality, but are being hit with rent increases. The 'bomb sites' remain undeveloped and there's just that feeling that despite  the goodness of the community, a brave face prevails against some real difficulties.

Reading the other threads on stuff like getting a credit card means there are further challenges for residents that makes the offer for incomers really hard to sell. I'm increasingly concerned as to where the golden egg of recovery is going to come from. The island plan seems to offer little.

What is to be done?

If I had left the island and was missing it terribly, maybe regretting my decision I'd write something like this.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, finlo said:

Emptying at least half of those suckling on the government teat for starters.

Current policy appears to be grubbing down the back of the sofa for 1p and 2p coins whilst throwing £50 notes on the fire to keep warm.

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

That's two visits from insignificant, condescending tossers within a week. At least they didn't close half of Douglas for this one I suppose. 

That’s nice. 

I for one may not always agree with Derek but this place obviously has such a hold on him that he wants to keep contributing on here.
And comment from his position of someone who has left but still cares for the places is to be welcomed whether or not you think he’s right. And due to his work here he does have insight into areas most of us wouldn’t.

He’s made the effort. I’ve lived  in a few places in the UK which I have loved but not been bothered to contribute to their local forums, even if I had something I thought I could offer.

As to who is an insignificant condescending tosser you beat both the Queen and Dezza for that honour.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

Is it a sentient chat bot or someone pretending to be a sentient chat bot. 

I think it's a sort of nouveau Manx bot. Referring to the Island as  "the rock" is a dead giveaway. I always cringe when I hear that.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Derek Flint said:

What is to be done?

We need to find the 'next big thing'.

Hearing how AI can now diagnose breast cancer quite accurately I wonder why we don't do more clinical trials here.

We seem to be far behind with technology.

• Like 1